Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Farrell is officially Jays' new manager

MLB ERA

Re: John Farrell is officially Jays' new manager

Probably. And I don't know about anyone else, but I personally like seeing former players for my team coach the team. It's nice seeing a Howard Johnson in the dugout (although, he has been quite up and down). I'd like to see a Wally Backman or a Tim Teufel in the dugout as a bench coach or whatever next year. I have to imagine the Toronto fans would love seeing those guys back involved with the team.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Most of the coaching staff is still on board from last year.
    Steib and Hentgen come in every spring to offer some assistance, so if anything it would be one of those 2 to help out as a coach.
    And your right lj, anyone from the past would be a fan favorite as soon as they return in some sort of coaching position.

Seems like a lot of Jays fans were hoping for Sandy Alomar, mainly because he's a recognizable name and the whole 'catchers make good managers' stigma. But if he were hired there would be a bunch of people that would have wanted Farrel.

So far its been announced that the Jays are bringing back Walton and Butters (pitching & 3rd base/infielders coaches) so that's great as that was definitely two strong areas.

They say talks are ongoing with Murphy to come back as hitting coach, but I can't see it happening. Farrell has already mentioned wanting an improvement in OBP and small ball, where Murphy really wanted the grip it and rip it philosophy that led to the Jays crushing the ball last year. While all the homers were great, the Jays were middle of the pack in runs and Lind and Hill (and maybe Snider) really had down years trying to yank everything out of the park. You need to be able to hit the ball the other way as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12