Thread: Report: Blue Jays discussing Doumit swap with Pirates

MLB ERA

Blue Jays Report: Blue Jays discussing Doumit swap with Pirates

Report: Blue Jays discussing Doumit swap with Pirates
    Less than a week after a report that the Toronto Blue Jays had "mild" interest in Pittsburgh Pirates catcher Ryan Doumit, the two sides are reportedly discussing a trade at the winter meetings.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Toronto isn't the only team that is looking into Doumit. The paper says the Mariners and Giants are also interested.

While the report does not specify what the Blue Jays would offer in return for Doumit, the Post-Gazette does have a source that says relief pitcher Jeremy Accardo could be involved.
    Would solve the Jays problem at catcher with no one there
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Report: Blue Jays discussing Doumit swap with Pirates

Surprising no one, my love of split data will be used once again. Doumit, had a nice season in 2008, especially for a young catcher. Injury last year to his wrist obviously hurt his stat line. But the good news for Jays fans, if the Jays trade for him, September was by far his most productive month where he posted a .905 OPS due largely to a healthy OBP (as you would expect from him by looking at his 2008 stats) and a surprising number of walks (for him.) Could be a move the Pirates really regret if he is getting healthy again.

I don't see this deal working out, I think the Pirates are going to see him as more valuable than the Jays do. The thing you can't like is he's never been able to stay healthy for a year, and the turf in Toronto doesn't help those players with nagging lower body injuries.

Depends if the Pirates are selling him as a top level offensive catcher or as a injured/expensive part time catcher.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Surprising no one, my love of split data will be used once again. Doumit, had a nice season in 2008, especially for a young catcher. Injury last year to his wrist obviously hurt his stat line. But the good news for Jays fans, if the Jays trade for him, September was by far his most productive month where he posted a .905 OPS due largely to a healthy OBP (as you would expect from him by looking at his 2008 stats) and a surprising number of walks (for him.) Could be a move the Pirates really regret if he is getting healthy again.
    What holds him back is that he's not a very good defensive catcher and they have worked him out at other positions before. He's like Josh Willingham, in the making.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Impossibles View Post
    I don't see this deal working out, I think the Pirates are going to see him as more valuable than the Jays do. The thing you can't like is he's never been able to stay healthy for a year, and the turf in Toronto doesn't help those players with nagging lower body injuries.

Depends if the Pirates are selling him as a top level offensive catcher or as a injured/expensive part time catcher.
    I think the Bucs have no choice but to go with the latter. GMs are smarter than we think for the most part and I would be shocked if the Pirates get one over on the young guy (Accardo).