Thread: Lunch time chatter edition 1:

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Blue Jays Lunch time chatter edition 1:

Enough of the other teams' perspective in regards to what they have to trade or what they would trade to get the available veteran players on Toronto. Let's flip the script and ask Toronto fans, what would you want for the players (think realistic terms though), if you'd be able to part with them at all?

SP Roy Halladay

3B Scott Rolen

OF Alexis Rios

I doubt Vernon Wells is an option due to the contract and sub-par performance to back up said contract. Marcos Scutaro wouldn't be a bad option for an opposing team as a piece guy, he's just not as good as his first month indicated.

Halladay is the popular item of discussion, I think that ran rampant on every sports program the last couple of weeks. Yes, granted he's a pitcher like Santana that doesn't pop up on the market often, he's not too old and he's not a character concern (although one wonders, despite the innings he throws, he always has an injury that puts him on the DL). One would hope, and suspect, that Toronto will not settle for the 45 cents the twins picked up for a younger Johan Santana (to rehash for yankee fans, that was Carlos Gomez, Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey, and Deolis Guerra). But the market might make things slightly difficult and a lot of GMs are rather prudish to begin with, so who knows.

But what about Scott Rolen? Still plays good defense at third ans has had, thus far, a resergence with his bat. His power isn't what it once was, but he's hitting over .300 and recently had a long hitting streak snapped. If you can survive his salary, it's really not a bad option to trade for if you need more offense. Or if you need a stopgap 3B. Either way. 2004 was the last season he hit .300

Alexis Rios is a two time all-star, who is only 28 and does a nice job in RF. You see what he has done in the past and then see that he's not really hitting much this year, and it's indecisive as to what the market really might be for Alexis. At his age and with his tools, to me he seems to be worth gambling on. You could a hell of a lot worse.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Re: Lunch time chatter edition 1:

I would hate to see Toronto sell their team apart because, for the first time in many years, they feel like a contender.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Lunch time chatter edition 1:

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    I would hate to see Toronto sell their team apart because, for the first time in many years, they feel like a contender.
    I agree and for the most part, I don't see the Jays as the type to pull a Pittsburgh, and move everything they have, and keep doing that.

That said there is a couple of moves to be made, but little room to do them. What hurts the most is the astronomical amount of money that is tied up in V-Dub. Wells is a solid player, but not to the point that he needs to make that much money a season.

Rolen could be moved, but I wonder what team would be willing to take him on as a playoff run approaches. I am sure someone with a younger team that is towards the top of the rung would take him on, but would not be willing to give up much.

Rios I could do without. Trade him for something similar and I'd be happy. I just don't like his attitude, and if anyone saw the video of him blowing up at someone after some sort of function can agree that his mind just doesn't seem to be there.

Halladay is an interesting move for me as a Jays fan. Part of me wants to see him stay, as he has become a great face for the organization, and plays above and beyond what any manager would want. IMO, he would make a great manager at some point. Knows the game, getting that vetrean experience, and is a great player.

But there is the side of me that wants to trade him to make the team better for the future. There are a lot of teams that would love to have him on their staff, and I would hope are willing to give up a far amount in return.

There are however a number of questions in trading Halladay.
    What if he wants to resign, and would do it for less than what he makes now?
    What if he calls off a trade or two?
    What if they wait till next year to move him?

I really wonder if J.P. can do this well. I have been crtical of some of his moves in the past and I am curious to see how he goes about this situation. There is hope as I think he has made the right move by not jumping onto the first offer, as I assume someone offered something already.