Thread: Jays' President stepping down but not fast enough

MLB ERA

Blue Jays Jays' President stepping down but not fast enough

Godfrey to step down as Jays' president at the end of 2008

Days after signing manager Cito Gaston to a contract extension and recommending general manager J.P. Ricciardi return for another season, Paul Godfrey has decided to step down as president of the Toronto Blue Jays when his contract expires at the end of the year.

No replacement has been named as yet.

''I have decided not to seek a new contract as President and CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays and Rogers Centre once my existing one ends on December 31, 2008. I indicated this possibility to the ownership of the Toronto Blue Jays Baseball Club earlier this year.''

Godfrey played an integral role in bringing the Blue Jays to Toronto in 1977 when he was the chairman of Metro Toronto. He was named president of the club when Ted Rogers acquired the team in 2000.

''I would like to thank Ted Rogers for the opportunity to fulfill every sports fan's dream of running a major league franchise. Personally, it was extra special being one of several people who played a role in bringing Major League Baseball to Toronto in 1977.''

One of his first moves as president was naming Buck Martinez as manager in 2000. The following season, he named Ricciardi as general manager.

While the Blue Jays did not make the playoffs during Godfrey's reign as president and CEO, the financial aspect of the club has improved greatly. Over the last seven years, attendance figures have increased by more than 750,000 per season. This past year, close to 2.4 million fans came through the turnstiles. Godfrey has reportedly been offered a job with Rogers as an adviser in sports and entertainment. While he is considering the offer he has yet to make a decision. He also stated that his career is far from over.

"My dictionary at home doesn't have the word retirement in it," Godfrey said.
    just get it over with and step down now so someone has time to fire Ricciardi
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

AAA ERA

Re: Jays' President stepping down but not fast enough

ughhh another year of Ricciardi
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...uthbertrc1.jpg
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

BLUE JAYS MAKE BEESTON INTERIM CEO

And his "temporary" replacement shall be...The entire 1992 World Series Staff. But really Beeston will be there to help find a replacement. Hope the search turns up someone that will FIRE JP!!!!!!

MLB ERA

oh yes fire JP now
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg