TORONTO - The Toronto Blue Jays trimmed their roster Friday, placing lefthander Ted Lilly on the 15-day disabled list and releasing righthanded reliever Kerry Ligtenberg.

An All-Star in his first season with the Blue Jays in 2004, Lilly was placed on the DL retroactive to March 25, with left shoulder tendinitis. Last year, the 29-year-old matched his 12-10 record from 2003 with Oakland while tossing two complete games - including a shutout - and posting a 4.06 ERA in 32 starts.

Lilly was diagnosed with tendinitis in February and did not pitch for Toronto this spring. In 128 career games - including 25 relief appearances - with Montreal, the New York Yankees, Oakland and the Blue Jays, he is 34-34 with four complete games, two shutouts and a 4.49 ERA.

Now, having a local farm team (for the Jays) and the fact that Lilly is one of my favorite non Red Sox, I wish him the best of luck when he's not facing the Sox. I saw that whooping he put on the Sox last year, in my book one of the Top 3 quality pitching performances against the Sox last year (with Schimidt's one-hitter and Kazmir's domination prior to being ejected). I liked him when he was on the Yankees as a tough luck pitcher, I like him now.

And Lightenberg is gone, hopefully giving a youngun' a chance. I'm looking forward to my boy Gustavo making it to the major leagues soon.