Cecil tosses seven no-hit innings | bluejays.com: News
Pick a level, any level. Brett Cecil is likely to master it.

The 22-year-old left-hander continued his rapid rise through the Minor Leagues on Saturday night, firing seven no-hit innings as the Syracuse Chiefs pulled out a 5-4 victory over the Buffalo Bisons at Alliance Bank Stadium.

Cecil, who is 8-4 with a 2.70 ERA at three stops in the Toronto organization this season, extended his scoreless streak to 14 innings with his finest outing as a professional.

"If you asked me last year where I'd be this year, I'd probably start in High-A and wind up in Double-A with a couple of starts," said Cecil, who posted a 1.74 ERA in four outings at Class A Advanced Dunedin before going 6-2 with a 2.55 in 18 starts for Double-A New Hampshire.

"It's been a great season. There are still improvements to be made, as always, but I'm looking forward to taking it to the next level."

The Blue Jays' first-round pick in the 2007 First-Year Player Draft retired nine straight batters before walking Major League veteran Tony Graffanino to start the fourth inning. He promptly got Jorge Velandia to ground into a double play and induced rehabbing Cleveland catcher Victor Martinez into the first of four consecutive groundouts by Buffalo.

Cecil fanned three in the sixth around a walk to former Major Leaguer Andy Cannizaro and finally got some run support in the bottom of the frame when Curtis Thigpen slugged a three-run homer, his third of the season.

The University of Maryland product responded by working a 1-2-3 seventh, striking out Michael Aubrey to punctuate his performance before walking off the mound to a rousing ovation after 86 pitches, including 55 strikes.

"I felt like I could go back out, but I was on a pitch count of 90 pitches," Cecil said. "I had no problem coming out of the game. They're on a strict progression [program] for me."

Cecil was denied a chance to shoot for Syracuse's first no-hitter since Leo Estrella's seven-inning gem against Indianapolis on June 17, 2000 as Jordan De Jong came on to start the eighth. Mike Pazik pitched the Chiefs' last nine-inning no-hitter on Aug. 31, 1971 against Rochester.

De Jong got Todd Linden to ground out before Chris Gimenez walked. Jason Cooper followed with a single up the middle to end the no-hit bid, but De Jong escaped trouble before Jonah Bayliss (3-5) imploded in the ninth.

Graffanino and Velandia sparked the Bisons' comeback with back-to-back singles, but Bayliss got a pair of fly outs before walking Linden to load the bases. Gimenez erased the three-run deficit and stunned the crowd of 5,244 with his first career grand slam over the left-field wall.

"As a pitcher, you always want to get a win, but guys are going to have their days," Cecil said. "My last start, I went seven innings and Jonah came in and threw two innings, no hits and no runs."

Undaunted, the Chiefs staged a rally of their own in the bottom of the ninth. Buck Coats and Wayne Lydon ripped consecutive singles and moved up on a wild pitch by Tom Mastny (2-2).

Hector Luna lined out to third before Mastny walked Russ Adams to load the bases. Thigpen went down swinging, but Kevin Melillo walked to force in the tying run and Pedro Lopez delivered an RBI base hit to right to end a three-game losing streak for the Chiefs (63-68).

Starter David Huff gave up three runs on 10 hits with four strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings for the Bisons (63-71).
started the year in high A ball with Dunedin and now is throwing great in AAA (Syracuse), hopefully we will see him up in the majors soon

other jays' prospects are ripping up the minors as well
OF Travis Snider - a 1st round draft pick in 2006 also started in high A ball with Dunedin and ripped up AA for most of the year and now is finding a home in AAA, he's exactly what the Jays will need in a year or two, big time power hitter, and in 2009, who's knows he may even break the Jays lineup (although 2010-2011 more realistic)

1B David Cooper - the Jays recent 1st round in 2008, is climbing the minor league in short order after signing his pro contract, who's now in high A ball right now and may start in AA (New Hampshire Fisher Cats) next season