Thread: A DH in Limbo

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A DH in Limbo

Jays tell Thomas he's no longer starting DH

TORONTO - The Toronto Blue Jays decided to send slumping slugger Frank Thomas to their bench on Saturday, a decision the angry veteran designated hitter feels is based more on his contract than his lack of production.

Thomas was given the news in a morning meeting with manager John Gibbons and did his best to control his frustration in the clubhouse afterwards. The 19-year veteran has a vesting option worth US$10 million in 2009 and he needs 304 more plate appearances for it to become guaranteed.

"It's pretty obvious," Thomas said when asked if he thought that was a factor in his benching. "Sixty at-bats isn't enough time to make that decision. I'm angry, I know I can help this team. My career isn't going to end like this."

The option is part of the $18.12-million, two-year deal he signed with the Blue Jays in November 2006.

The decision comes with Thomas batting .167 in 16 games, with three homers and 11 RBIs. But take away his monster series against Boston during the season's opening week, when he hit two homers and drove in eight runs, and he's batting just .125.

Currently, he's mired in a 4-for-35 rut.

Matt Stairs of Fredericton is expected to pick up most of the at-bats at DH and prospect Adam Lind is looming on the horizon.
    And no I don't think the "Big Hurt" can limbo that well.
    Last edited by Foster; 04-20-2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Alcohol in the system

MLB ERA

Re: A DH in Limbo

This actually kind makes me happy, more Matt Stairs time
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

What can you do? Matt Stairs is just a hard player to get in font of on the depth chart. A legend among men I've heard.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I read on ESPN.com this morning that the Blue Jays have agreed to release Frank Thomas.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Barry Bonds to the rescue??!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I for one hope not.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Hope the Blue Jays or any other team in fact does NOT sign Bonds. Lets just see him leave the game quietly. That is just me though.