SI.com - MLB - Ryan makes Class A rehab start - Saturday April 5, 2008 8:09PM
DUNEDIN, Fla. (AP) -- Toronto Blue Jays closer B.J. Ryan threw one inning in a rehab appearance for Class A Dunedin on Saturday.

The left-handed Ryan, who had season-ending ligament replacement surgery last May 10, allowed one hit and threw six of his 10 pitches for strikes against Ft. Myers.

"I was kind of all over the place," Ryan said, "It was probably the best I have felt since I have been down here. I got them out and it felt good doing it so I will go from there."

Ryan, who signed a $47 million, five-year contract as a free agent after the 2005 season, said he expects to take a day off and pitch again on Monday.

"I will see how that goes and go from there," he said.

Prior to Saturday, Ryan faced batters within the Toronto farm system on Wednesday.

Ryan went 0-2 with a 12.46 ERA with three saves last season before his injury. The year before, he saved 38 games in 42 chances with a 1.37 ERA.

Following Ryan to the mound was Armando Benitez, who signed a minor league contract with Toronto in March.

Benitez, who has 289 career major league saves over 18 seasons, struck out the side during his one inning.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Good to see Ryan feeling better but I don't expect him to be ready for another 2 months, 1 if he's lucky.

It been said that Ryan and Accardo will share the closer role, which could be a huge mistake with Ryan coming back, Ryan should be brought along slowly or it turn very ugly with F and lead to more problems.

and damn Benitez, I really hope you retire before JP calls you up.