Thread: Blue Jays win series against White Sox but at a cost.

MLB ERA

Blue Jays win series against White Sox but at a cost.

I should mention I love Fire Fox, I had this write up almost done and I closed it by accident but Fire Fox saved me.

The jays took the series 3 games to 1, Halladay came back from early from his injury and pitched great going 7 innings, allowing 6 hits, no walks and getting 7 Strikeouts for the win. The Jays just got enough offence to win the game 2-0, with HR from Aaron Hill in the 2nd inning, his 8th of the year, and Frank Thomas getting his HR in the 8th inning (his 8th of the year too). Jeremy Accardo closed out the game with his 6th save of the year.

In game 2 saw the White Sox shut down the Jays' offence winning the game 3-0 on the back of starter Javier Vazquez, AJ Burnett has been the best pitcher when Halladay went down and that continued but with no run support Burnett lost the game even when going 7 and 1/3 innings, getting 12 Strikeouts, and only allowing 1 walk and 6 hits. Great pitching duel between Burnett and Vazquez.

Game 3 saw another pitching duel with Dustin McGowan and Jose Contreras, McGowan ended up winning the game with another good performance from the young starter (turning the corner in his career?). Contreras was better but saw that his bullpen blow the game for the Cuba star, with MacDougal getting the loss and Matt Thornton getting the blown save. The turning point to the game was in the 7th inning when Sal Fasano led off the inning with a bunt single which results in the Jays scoring 5 runs that inning to take the lead. In the 8th inning Alex Rios topped off the game with a 3-run HR, his 13th of the season (good for 3rd in the AL right now). Casey Janssen got the 2 inning save for his 1st save of the year for a great start to the year for the young pitcher.

For the last game in the series, The Jays pulled out a win thanks to the White Sox's bullpen blowing the lead once again and the Jays' bullpen coming through. Shawn Marcum started the game but suffered a back injury in the 3rd inning and was pulled from the game; Marcum gave up HR to Rob Mackowiak and Jim Thome. That wasn't the only injury that happened to the Jays, when it came for the Jays to come to bat in the 3rd, Lyle Overbay took a pitch off his right hand and broke his hand. Adam Lind cost the Jays in the 5th inning when the Jays had the bases loaded with 1 out with Lind at 2nd, Wells hit a sac fly that scored one run but Lind left 2nd base just little too early and got caught which ended the inning. After John Danks left the game after the 5th inning, Adam Lind came up to bat with 2 outs and the bases loaded to redeem himself for his earlier mistake and Lind delivered a base clearing double to give the Jays the lead. Jeremy Accardo got the save to close out the series, continuing his dominating season.

A great series win for the Jays who look to rebound after a terrible month of May.

Overbay out 4-6 weeks which is a great loss to the field and line up.
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Blue Jays win series against White Sox but at a cost.

congrats on the series win, but super sorry on the overbay loss!!

He is one of my favorite players in baseball!!!! he has really come into his own as a quality ball-player!

MLB ERA

Re: Blue Jays win series against White Sox but at a cost.

Overbay been a great player for Toronto, he reminds me of John Olerud so much, I know Overbay looked up to Olerud too, it's a big plus. One of my favourite jays right now too.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

now that youmention it, they both have a lot of similiarities in their game. Always like Olerud too! Who do the Jays have for 1B now? Tell me it is not the Big Hurt?

MLB ERA

It's been comfirmed that Matt Stairs will play at 1st base for the majority.

Troy Glaus (possible) and Jason Phillips will see time at 1st base too.

When catcher Gregg Zaun returns from injury in a week or so, Phillips' time at 1st base will likely increase.

Thomas will never see the field again.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Thanks for the info. ANd the Big Hurt things was somewhat of a joke.. I figured they had some other option. Hell you or I could probably play 1st better than he can! haha.

MLB ERA

well I needed to be sure on the Thomas thing

a pole with a glove tied to it could do better than Thomas at 1st base

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

no prob... I asked, and you are right about the pole and the glove thing!! hahaha.. That cracked me up!