Thread: Jays sign Wells

AA ERA

Blue Jays Jays sign Wells

TORONTO -- All-Star center fielder Vernon Wells agreed Friday night to a seven-year, $126 million contract extension with the Toronto Blue Jays. However, the deal is awaiting approval of the players union, according to ESPN's Peter Gammons. Such an 'OK' could come as early as Saturday.
    Wells' pact, the sixth-largest in baseball history, would give him a $25.5 million signing bonus, no-trade clause and guarantee him the right to opt out of his contract after four years. In addition, he could earn bonuses of $250,000 for MVP, $200,000 for World Series MVP, $150,000 for league championship series MVP and $100,000 for receiving the most votes in his league in All-Star game balloting.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2698288

AAA ERA
    Maybe we went a bit overboard for him but thats okay. I think Ricciardi has the guys he wants except for another pitcher damn we need some pitching!

Im still waiting for Wells to have a breakout year. Dont get me wrong hes had some good seasons but nothing major yet.
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...uthbertrc1.jpg
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy31
    Maybe we went a bit overboard for him but thats okay. I think Ricciardi has the guys he wants except for another pitcher damn we need some pitching!

Im still waiting for Wells to have a breakout year. Dont get me wrong hes had some good seasons but nothing major yet.
    its too bad thats the price for a 5 tool player now
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

AA ERA
    Well, I'm sure Jays fans everywhere just gave one big "whew!" for being able to resign their franchise player. Although Ricciardi was very smart to move fast and make a offer to Wells in the case he didn't accept, he could have then began to entertain offers from other teams. Also, it would have atleast shown the Jays fans that they made a fair effort at trying to resign him.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Without even commenting on the offer, it's good to know Wells hasn't lost his mind. Sources were indicating that he really wasn't thrilled with it initially and either his family, his agent or common sense stepped in and gave him the push needed to put his signature on the dotted line. I just hope the Blue Jays are serious about adding more to that team for a push, because to make a commitment like that of seven years is huge obviously.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Without even commenting on the offer, it's good to know Wells hasn't lost his mind. Sources were indicating that he really wasn't thrilled with it initially and either his family, his agent or common sense stepped in and gave him the push needed to put his signature on the dotted line. I just hope the Blue Jays are serious about adding more to that team for a push, because to make a commitment like that of seven years is huge obviously.
    I agree that it was a good move to go ahead and sign the extension because you never know what could happen, Wells could end up having a bad injury this up coming season thus hurting what he would get in terms of security in the free agent market.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett