Thread: Jays Drafting

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Blue Jays Jays Drafting

Is anyone else finding it somewhat frustrating to watch so many young players drafted over of the last few years turning into impact players while nobody JP has selected other than Hill has really shown any serious ability?

I can't help but think the Jays philosophy of selecting signable players is way overstated. I think it's a far bigger risk giving Burnett $55 million over five years than ponying up some money during the draft. I believe it was Scott Kazmir who was picked directly after Adams. and if I remember correctly he recieved a $2.5 million dollar bonues. Isn't that about what Josh Towers is making? Or what they're paying Koskie to play for Milwaukee. Sure there is greater risk, but the reward is much higher as well.

AAA ERA
    Tell me about it JP's draft picks have been horrible! Although Romero is looking good in the minor leagues. All the good core players on the team were drafted by Gord Ash. Wells, Rios, Johnson, Halladay and etc...

I think we have some relievers at the AAA border MLB ready level that might turn out alright though. Marcum, McGowan, League, Rosario, Houston half of them should turn into solid relievers for us.
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...uthbertrc1.jpg
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Blue Jays

I wish I could find an article I read a few weeks ago, it listed many of the players we passed on for Adams.
    Kazmir, Blanton, Swisher, Francouer were a few I remember of the top of my head. I mean alot of other players from that draft haven't done anything either, but you may as well take someone who could become an impact player. Adams look like he's going to become the utility guy a lot of people predicted.

And the funny thing is, two of the relievers you mentioned are also Ash guys! His guys are still the best prospects in the organization! How long has it been now?

AAA ERA
    Right now our minor league system is hurting badly. We dont have alot of blue chip top prospects or many really good players. And I dont think its any coincendence that the teams are doing bad either.
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...uthbertrc1.jpg
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    13 teams ahead of the Jays passed on Kazmir. Only the big market Mets were willing to deal with Scott Boras and they could always buy veteran pitchers if they couldn't sign Kazmir.