Thread: Blue Jays Designate Josh Towers For Assignment

Blue Jays Blue Jays Designate Josh Towers For Assignment

TORONTO (Ticker) - The Toronto Blue Jays officially have given up on Josh Towers.

The Blue Jays on Tuesday designated the righthander for assignment after an horrendous start to the 2006 campaign.

After going 13-12 with a 3.71 ERA in 33 starts, the Blue Jays had hoped the 29-year-old was ready to become a consistent winner and help Toronto challenge the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox for supremacy in the American League East. Instead, Towers went the other way.

Towers started the season by losing his first seven starts, was sent to Class AAA Syracuse on May 24, returned three weeks later and was designated with a record of 1-9 and a 9.11 ERA.

To replace Towers, Toronto activated righthander Pete Walker. The reliever is 1-1 with a 5.00 ERA in 19 games.

Rookie righthander Ty Taubenheim will start in Towers' spot Saturday against Philadelphia.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

I'll always remember Towers when he was in the Orioles organization, as I saw him quite a lot in Double A down the road. Specifically, I remember him signing the bullpen gate, and always holding court with the fans before a game. Its a shame he didn't build on last year's success, but I am sure some team will pick him up, in hopes of him making a rebound.