Thread: Rios Released from Hospital, No Time-Frame on Return

MLB ERA

Rios Released from Hospital, No Time-Frame on Return

this great news to hear, he joined the team in Pittsburgh

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=171039&hubname=

Canadian Press

7/10/2006 9:08:21 PM

PITTSBURGH (CP) - A recuperating Alex Rios joined his Toronto Blue Jays teammates just in time to watch Monday's home run derby, eager to enjoy the all-star week festivities after his release from hospital.

The right-fielder was elected an American League all-star by his fellow players but will skip the game because he's on the disabled list. There's no time frame yet for his return, although he's probably a week away from walking normally, let alone running.

A severe staph infection in his lower left leg forced him into hospital June 29 and he wasn't released until last Friday. He walked with a major limp Monday in the bowels of PNC Stadium and looked slightly sickly after losing some weight.

"It's getting better," said Rios, who was greeted warmly be fellow Blue Jay all-stars Roy Halladay, Vernon Wells, Troy Glaus and B.J. Ryan.

"It's my first time as an all-star so I want to enjoy it as much as I can. I'm very proud of being here and I'm just going to try and have a good time."

After what he's been through, he deserves it.

Rios' problems began when he fouled a ball off his leg during a 6-0 win over the Washington Nationals on June 27. The area swelled up the next day and when the pain intensified after that he was sent to hospital.

"I was a little bit (scared) at the beginning," he said. "But the doctors were telling me everything was going to be all right if they knew what was happening."

That was when he told his mother in Puerto Rico not to worry and that he didn't need her to come and take care of him.

Rios was bed-ridden for his nine days in hospital, passing the time by watching TV and chatting with visitors. The long period of inactivity has him itching to go and taking on his rehabilitation program with zeal.

"I have no idea how long it's going to take me to walk normally," he said. "I'm improving very fast because a couple of days ago I couldn't even put my foot on the ground. I've been working hard to stretch it out and feel better."
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA
    Great news. I've always liked Rios, and staph infections are god damned awful.

AAA ERA
    Does he still have 2 legs?
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...uthbertrc1.jpg
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

Rookie ERA
    great once hes 100% we can finally use his defence and hitting back in rf instead of hinske