Thread: A.J. Burnett on the 15-day disabled list

AA ERA

Blue Jays A.J. Burnett on the 15-day disabled list

TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Blue Jays placed starter A.J. Burnett on the 15-day disabled list Saturday, and recalled reliever Shawn Marcum from triple A Syracuse.
    Burnett left Friday's 7-6, 12-inning victory over the Boston Red Sox with soreness in his right elbow believed to be scar tissue. He will visit Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., on Monday.
    Andrews performed ligament replacement surgery on Burnett's elbow in 2003.
    The Jays at this point don't believe the injury is serious to Burnett, who signed a $55-million US, five-year deal during the off-season.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=163519&hubname=

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This guy is too much. . . over/under on the number of starts for Burnett this year: 15.5, get your bets in. He's already got 2!

Definitely under.

I can't say I'm too surprised. We all knew how Burnett was injury prone, it was going to be a risk for any team to sign him.

Luckily, there is no structural damage to Burnett's arm according to James Andrews

According to a press release from the Jays, Dr. James Andrews discovered no structural damage in A.J. Burnett's arm during Monday's examination.
    The team is calling Burnett's injruy a mild sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament and a slight straining of scar tissue in the elbow. Obviously, the health of the UCL is the long-term concern. If he tears it again, he'd need a second Tommy John surgery. Burnett will probably get more time off after his latest setback than he did last month, but the Jays haven't commented on any timetable yet.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    17 starts
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    An orthopaedic surgeon interviewed by the Toronto Star painted a very bleak picture regarding A.J. Burnett's elbow injury. "Scar tissue is not as strong as the original ligament," Dr. Darrell Ogilvie-Harris said. "When there is a tear of the ligament and scar tissue, this tells us that there is residual weakness from the previous surgical repair. This complicates recovery and increases the risk of re-injury. If he had to undergo surgery again, chances are it would be career-ending." Apr. 26 - 10:18 am et

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    i hope they have insurance!
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    An orthopaedic surgeon interviewed by the Toronto Star painted a very bleak picture regarding A.J. Burnett's elbow injury. "Scar tissue is not as strong as the original ligament," Dr. Darrell Ogilvie-Harris said. "When there is a tear of the ligament and scar tissue, this tells us that there is residual weakness from the previous surgical repair. This complicates recovery and increases the risk of re-injury. If he had to undergo surgery again, chances are it would be career-ending." Apr. 26 - 10:18 am et
    So, effectively you're saying that he's pretty much the worst signing in the history of the Toronto Blue Jays.

Nice use of money.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Blue Jays pitcher A.J. Burnett has received the same diagnosis on his injured elbow, a mild sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament and a slight strain of scar tissue in the elbow, but he's struggling mentally with the injury. "I have no timetable," Burnett told the Toronto Star. "I have none. I wish I could tell you, but I don't (have a schedule). Burnett acknowledged general manager J.P. Ricciardi's comments that the recovery will be as much mental as it will be physical. "It doesn't bother me," Burnett said of his GM's comments. "Who cares? I'm in good hands here and it's night and day to what I'm used to (in Florida). Really, a lot of it is mental. Me coming back is going to be a lot more mental than physical."
    uh, no AJ. Almost ALL of it is physical. HELLO YOU HAVE A ****ED UP ELBOW.