Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency begins Sunday at Noon EST

damn you. I nearly did that myself, but figured crazy would catch on and delete all those lists.

Bench Warmer Lou Brown (Indians)'s Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    I don't think "first come, first serve" is a good (or fair) idea. It penalizes people who are not around for a given deadline or (like me) didn't even know this threat existed (until now).
    I'd rather see
    a) an open bidding where anyone can up an offer until nobody does for a given period (say 6 or 12 hours)
    or
    b) secret bidding where anyone sends in one offer before a given deadline. Highest bidder gets the player. Only problem is that crazy is also a GM.
    Also, there should be a limit on how many players a team can sign per sim (1-3 should be reasonable)
    Indians GM, Angels blogger

Well really you should look at these threads down here everyday. This is where the most general posts, will get posted.

As for the statement in your post, "Only problem is that crazy is also a GM." Crazy would never cheat.

Rookie ERA
    I didn't even know that there were threads, although I agree one should look regularly on the boards. Still, I think fcfs isn't fair. It's also not realistic either, cause good players should be bid on.
    I'd never assume that crazy would use his position to cheat. I just happen to be in a league where the commish was accused to (although in my opinion, he prolly didn't). It's just better not to put oneself in a position where just an accusation might occure.

You're basically saying that any person who runs a league shouldn't be a GM then?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    There's nothing out there worth going to a lot of trouble to have bidding wars. There's mostly older guys and average prospects people will go after to further fill the farm. But there's nothing greatly impacting unless you think Jason Giambi, David Wells, or Corey Patterson are still great.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Brown (Indians)
    I don't think "first come, first serve" is a good (or fair) idea. It penalizes people who are not around for a given deadline or (like me) didn't even know this threat existed (until now).
    I'd rather see
    a) an open bidding where anyone can up an offer until nobody does for a given period (say 6 or 12 hours)
    or
    b) secret bidding where anyone sends in one offer before a given deadline. Highest bidder gets the player. Only problem is that crazy is also a GM.
    Also, there should be a limit on how many players a team can sign per sim (1-3 should be reasonable)
    This type of Free Agent bidding is only done for the "left over" free agents. The regular Free Agent period is structured a completely different way. I know that you have no way of knowing this since this is your first season in the SBSL, but I take my team almost completely out of the bidding for Free Agents. I will sometimes bid on marginal free agents, but those bids would be set in advance. I never ever make bids for bigger name free agents. I just don't feel right doing it since I see all of the offers. If I do decide to make bids on an impact FA, then I would do what Mission does for the S3SL, but so far that hasn't been necessary.

BTW..there are hundreds of players in the FA pool. It would take forever if teams could only sign 1-3 per sim.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Hmm....those bastards sent their PMs at 11:57 am probably.

As for me, I waited until noon. So mine probably showed up as 12:03.

I believe they were sent 11:59am. The site clock is 1 minute slow...not 3 minutes slow.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    You're basically saying that any person who runs a league shouldn't be a GM then?
    I didn't said that. I only said that if you could avoid potential trouble, you ought to do it. That doesn't mean that a commish shouldn't be a GM. But there is always the risk that someone might accuse the commish of cheating if things don't work out like he hopes they do. So why not minimize this risk?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights
    This type of Free Agent bidding is only done for the "left over" free agents. The regular Free Agent period is structured a completely different way.
    I didn't know that regular (in season?) free agent bidding is handled differently. I don't mind the "left overs" that much, although I would have liked to bid on Wells. But

I know that you have no way of knowing this since this is your first season in the SBSL, but I take my team almost completely out of the bidding for Free Agents. I will sometimes bid on marginal free agents, but those bids would be set in advance. I never ever make bids for bigger name free agents. I just don't feel right doing it since I see all of the offers. If I do decide to make bids on an impact FA, then I would do what Mission does for the S3SL, but so far that hasn't been necessary.
    I certainly never questioned your integrity!
    And open bidding would allow you to go after FA just like anyone else. You should not have a disadvantage for being the commish.

BTW..there are hundreds of players in the FA pool. It would take forever if teams could only sign 1-3 per sim.
    Well, shouldn't there be (weaker) players in the FA constantly? Need they all get signed? Also, I know that Rule 5, MinLeaFA, Waivers, option years and all that stuff is difficult to handle in a league where not everyone has OOTP, but these rules keep team from hoarding talent in the minors without every risking to loose it.

Anyway, please notice that I make these suggestions not because I like to complain or anything, but because I want the league to run as smoothly as possible and to be as fair as possible. Most things I've said are not my ideas, but are rules from other online leagues. Also, please remember that I'm not a native speaker, so if anything I write sounds aggressive or offending in your ears, it certainly wasn't meant to.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Brown (Indians)
    I certainly never questioned your integrity!
    And open bidding would allow you to go after FA just like anyone else. You should not have a disadvantage for being the commish.
    Oh I know you didn't. We do closed bidding for FA's, and I volountarily sit out of most of the bidding. I don't see it really as a disadvantage though. It's just something that I do to avoid putting myself in a postiion to where someone may accuse me of cheating.

MLB ERA
    This is going to take longer than I expected....there are so many offers to go through.

This is going to take longer than I ected....there are so many offers to go throug.
    Sorry bout that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    We're in no rush.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Sorry bout that.
    Penalize him for hogging players
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Penalize him for hogging players
    Doubt I get all of them. But really, I can't wait to start simming. So I can happen to play, oh I don't know, the Angels. When I do play these Angels, I'm going kick these Angels asses.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast