View Poll Results: Should we add these extra functions to the league?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah... let's go for it!

16 84.21%
  • Nope... keep things the way they are!

3 15.79%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 40 Man Rosters?

When they are claimed, the team who DFAd the player can ask for compensation.

*I'm not sure though*
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

A player can be placed on waivers after three years of big-league service. Once those three years are served, and assuming he is added to the 40-man roster, his club then has what are called "options" on him. When you hear that a player has options, that means he can be sent to the minors if he is underperforming. When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, and to be sent down to the minors, he'll have to placed on waivers and then clear them. "To be put on waivers" means that every MLB team has a shot of "claiming" him. (Your name is added to a waiver list of available players). "To clear waivers" means that the player was not chosen by any other big-league club.
    Team executives place players on waivers with hopes of ridding the club of high salaries and/or unwanted performers.

A waiver is permission for a professional athletic club to assign a player to the minor leagues or release/trade a player from the club, granted only after all other clubs have been given the opportunity to claim the player and have not done so.

If a player does NOT clear waivers, that means another team has claimed him. However, the player's original club can withdraw the waiver request (this would probably happen if Boston tried to claim a New York Yankee off waivers). If the club doesn't withdraw the waiver request, the player's contract is assigned in the following manner: a) If only one claim is entered, the player's contract is assigned to that claiming club. b) If more than one club in the same league makes claims, the club currently lower in the standings gets the player. c) If clubs in both leagues claim the player, preference shall always go to the club in the same league as the club requesting waivers. If a player clears waivers, that means that every other team took a pass. Now, the players' initial team can do with the player's contract as it pleases.
    This generally means one of three things: 1) They can send him to the minors (subject to his consent if he's a veteran player) 2) They can release him, which makes the player a free agent and thus available to sign with any team. 3) They can trade him to another team, even if the so-called "trading deadline" has passed. Any trades made after July 31 may only involve players who have cleared waivers.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Sure lets do it. Lets get the season going. ...

Sounds like a good idea! You will have to remember who you sent down and who has how many times left. Or you may lose the player. good ideas crazy.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Just a few questions so everyone is 100% sure about this...

The Rule V Draft:
    Say I take Joe Schmo from Virginia's system, would I then have to keep him on my 25 man roster, if not I have to offer him back to his original team (Virginia) for 500k or whatever the contract would be?

If Virginia doesnt want him then what would happen?

When would it occur?
    Are there any time restrictions that keeps us from taking top guys from the previous years draft?

40 man rosters
    40 man would be the 25 plus 15 guys we could call up without trouble. If a guy is not on the 40 what would have to happen... example I start with Bobby Seay on my 40 man roster, while Joseph Gray is not. Well Seay struggles (5.67 ERA 0-4 rec) and Gray is pitching great (1.23 ERA 2-0 3 svs), Would Seay have to clear waivers before I could put Gray on the 40?

If, for example, Louisville claims Seay I can A) Let him go B) Pull him back and try to trade him C) Pull him back and try to find someone else to drop that would clear?

Trades
    Before July 31st the players wouldnt have to pass waivers.. After all players would have to?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Rookie ERA
    Don't forget that sometimes, players are placed on irrevocable waivers, meaning that the original club cannot pull the player if claimed by another club. Also, I don't think OOTP 6.5 has the capacity for compensation after waiver claims.
    Go Cardinals!
    2004 NL Champions

Rookie ERA
    To be Rule 5 eligable, you must have 6 yrs minor league experience and still not be on a 40 man roster.
    Go Cardinals!
    2004 NL Champions

Damn! Would they have to stay on your 40 man the whole season?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Damn! Would they have to stay on your 40 man the whole season?
    Rule 5 players must stay on your 25 man roster all season or you have to offer them back to the original team.

That's what I figured. Thanks.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I believe it's 3 years of pro service, not 6.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    When teams claim a player, or go to claim a player, will we be notified right then and there? Or maybe have a whole thread dedicated just to those proceedings. Something easy for everyone to know who's claiming who and yatta yatta yatta- might be better than just loading up Crazy's message box.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    I have an idea on how to do this, but I need to talk to Mission about it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    oh.k
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I just hope everyone in the league has seen this, being aware and not surprised for the worst come 2008.
    Ted

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast