View Poll Results: Should we Contract and Realign?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

13 76.47%
  • NO!

4 23.53%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contraction and Realignment?

MLB ERA

Contraction and Realignment?

Several GM's have voiced their opinion to me over the last few months about the possibilities of Contraction and Realignment. I'm considering this idea, because it does have some advantages.

1) The leagues are uneven. Contracting two teams would even out the leagues which would make the playoff system more equal. As it stands now, there is one division with 4 teams, and one division with 6 teams. Contraction and Realignment would eliminate two of the weakest teams and would make the divisions more equal. Obviously we will not contract any teams that currently have GMs.

2) It seems like there are always one or two teams that either don't have a GM for extened periods of time or the GM's come and go frequently. Neither of those scenarios are good for the league.

My question to the league is should we do it? Please state why you feel the way you do.

AAA ERA
    i like idea number1......evening out the teams....

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    I think it could be a good thing. Two less GM's we have to worry about contacting for trades and such. What would happen to the players on those teams, become FA?

AA ERA
    I agree with Griff. What happens if we contract? I am not going to vote until I have a solid feel for it.

sure, who exactly are we contracting

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by griff
    What would happen to the players on those teams, become FA?
    My idea is to release all of the players on the active roster into the current free agent market. The minor leaguers would probably be best suited to be distributed in a seperate draft.

MLB ERA
    Ii think contraction might be ok, but prefer realligning with new owners

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights
    My idea is to release all of the players on the active roster into the current free agent market. The minor leaguers would probably be best suited to be distributed in a seperate draft.
    Why not just have everyone on the team be part of the draft, that way its fair. Cause if we contract someone and put everyone into fa the teams that are going to get most of the decent players will be likely the ones with a lot of moeny or those already competitive, if we draft everyone and "force" the game to accept then the teams who need help would be most likely to get it.

MLB ERA
    Uhhh.. because that way someone could get a player like Vlad (for example) at a minor league contract and have him for 300K for 2 seasons and the arbitration etc... by the time he would have to be signed long term, he would be past his prime

AA ERA
    What if they are dumped as FA and we set ground rules for the draft. Like the first overall pick makes x amount of money for 2 years so it doesnt have arbitration as an option.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Why not just have everyone on the team be part of the draft, that way its fair. Cause if we contract someone and put everyone into fa the teams that are going to get most of the decent players will be likely the ones with a lot of moeny or those already competitive, if we draft everyone and "force" the game to accept then the teams who need help would be most likely to get it.
    The teams I'm considering for contraction have very few if any good players. I really don't think there will be enough good players to make it worth a draft, and the problems caused by that. The most desirable players will be the prospects, and we will need to do a draft for those players. The teams that need help, will be helped by drafting the best prospects.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    Uhhh.. because that way someone could get a player like Vlad (for example) at a minor league contract and have him for 300K for 2 seasons and the arbitration etc... by the time he would have to be signed long term, he would be past his prime
    Keep the same contracts if they are not fas. Like what you did last year when the game wouldnt let you do the deadline deals.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights
    The teams I'm considering for contraction have very few if any good players. I really don't think there will be enough good players to make it worth a draft, and the problems caused by that. The most desirable players will be the prospects, and we will need to do a draft for those players. The teams that need help, will be helped by drafting the best prospects.

Well, if you go by the Power Rankings from the end of last season, the two obvious teams that would be contracted would be Cleveland and Colorado. Since there won't be any teams contracted that currently have a GM, that would exclude Colorado, Brooklyn, Minnesota, and Louisville. That would bring us to the 25th place team with the NYY. They do have a couple good players, especially in the outfield. Who would be the two teams contracted as of now?

No chance of the NYY getting contracted since they do have a GM.

Unfortunately, some of the teams that do have managers have put their teams into a very deep hole. The GMs I'm talking about should know who they are. No reason to hide. They don't know ootp, and they gave their players long contracts when they shouldn't have. Or they rushed their prospects at 18 or 19 up to ML. It's just stupid, and unless they are willing able to learn then there should be some thought of just getting rid of their team.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Although I could use the contraction to help along my rebuilding of Colorado, I would rather not do it that way. I realize it is tough to get good GM's for all teams, but this won't necessarily solve the problem. GM's would tend to leave when their team is getting beat down all the time. There will still be a handful of bad teams no matter what, I voted NO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast