Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Public or private negotiations?!?!?

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Re: Public or private negotiations?!?!?

I swear, I have the worst luck with this new forum and editing mode... My mouse will not work on any of the bold, underline, italics, quote, edit buttons... so this is what I get...Sorry

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Since I can't quote or bold... The above line: Moreno said the Angels made six different offers to Rodriguez over the last year or so. It's believed that they went up to about $42 million for three years, and that Rodriguez told them that wasn't enough.... is about as close a comparison as you can get to our issue here with OOTP. Note that Moreno never disclosed what their top offer was, he just said that the Angels made 6 different offers over the last year or so! To this day we do not know what those offers were! If we did then CJ's position in this debate would have a small modicum of validity!

MLB ERA

You know what the demands are, you know what the team is offering... and then where they meet is normally private until its released but you know where the team and player stand on 95% of the negotiations
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    You know what the demands are, you know what the team is offering... and then where they meet is normally private until its released but you know where the team and player stand on 95% of the negotiations
    You do? Really?

How much is Jason Bay going to make. Seriously. Since you know 95% of all contracts NYN/NYM/BOS before they're released and in the negotiation stages, right now tell me: how much will his extension be worth?

Being a Sox fan, this should give you an edge too.

Honestly, I don't care what you and GF do with the extensions, but I find that reasoning a bit funny.

I'd love to make them private in TPSL, but seriously doubt I will since so many people are afraid of spending an extra 2 seconds on something.
    Last edited by cjkalt; 06-29-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: i hate the edit button

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Id have no problems with it. Im in 3 leagues that have private negotiations and haven't had issues. I mean sure you want to know if the other teams are going to resign their stars so you plan accordingly but really I don't see the problem.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post

I'd love to make them private in TPSL, but seriously doubt I will since so many people are afraid of spending an extra 2 seconds on something.
    I can't speak for anybody else, but despite what my posts above might suggest, I'd have no problem at all if you made them private.

I can work around either one and, in the end, I really don't care.

I was just stating my opinion if on the basis of if you wanted me to have a preference, well that's what it'd be.

But, in the end, it's really not a big deal if it's public or private to me.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

I will respectfully disagree with this, I fully believe a league outside of 6.5 would work... the changes though would have to be big enough to make it worth while for people to adjust to the new format. For example I have OOTP X, and find it amazing even though its different than 6.5 in a lot of ways it also has a lot of great features.
    You wouldn't find more than 5-10 people to sign up. There's been ootp7 and 8 leagues on this site in the past I think (Crazy ran one in 7, TSSL started in 8... or something like that) and they never have worked. I was secretly working on ootp9 rosters, and asked a few people on the site what they would think of a ootp9 test-run league, and almost everyone balked citing the difference in the two games would throw things off. I had rosters really nice and uploaded to the tpsl server at one point even-- but it just isn't realistic here.

Honestly though, the only way I'd join another league is if it was in a new OOTP, but for as much as you can do on that game, you won't find a full house of people looking to sign up from this site.

I hope that this site has seen the last of new sim leagues though. Every time one dies, another pops up... should remain at 3 leagues for as long as it can..

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I can't speak for anybody else, but despite what my posts above might suggest, I'd have no problem at all if you made them private.

I can work around either one and, in the end, I really don't care.

I was just stating my opinion if on the basis of if you wanted me to have a preference, well that's what it'd be.

But, in the end, it's really not a big deal if it's public or private to me.

Nah nah Leo, that's fine. I was thinking of some alternate way this could be done without PM being involved because I understand what you're saying... but it seems like if negotiations were to be private, it'd have to be done through there. I would make myself accessibile to AIM as well in this case, for however much that would help. But I'm not really sure if it's something I'd do anyway... I'll take a vote on it near the end of the season, see how many/if any people are bent out of shape over it... and if the negatives outweight the positives, or vice versa really, I'll decide based on that.

I like the idea. I would've never even thought of it had OM not suggested it though.

Another possibility, is keeping the board there, but turning into a news/transactions board. So when a player signs his deal via PM or AIM or wherever the private negotiation took place, the GM or myself could report to that board and repost all of the info. that'd be a very easy way to track things, too.

And I apologize for talking up TPSL ideas in this thread-- hopefully you guys don't mind it... I guess it's sort of turned into a universal post on the matter. Hopefully both leagues will find something that works before next season.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

I completely disagree with this statement so much that I am trying to find a way to let CJ gracefully back off of his position.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    You do? Really?

How much is Jason Bay going to make. Seriously. Since you know 95% of all contracts NYN/NYM/BOS before they're released and in the negotiation stages, right now tell me: how much will his extension be worth?
    Bay is asking for 5 years/80 million and the Red Sox offered 5 years/ 60 mil

I'm not saying I know how much the final value is, but I do know how much he asking for, and how much the team is offering initially. But if he resigns it will be for 5 years/ 68-75 mil

I'm not saying I know it way in advance, if you want to summerize how the negotiations went to make it faster fine. But to not have any info at all isn't realistic at all.

Example:

1B CJ Kaltenbach says prime of my career, test market, offer?

BOS

1) 6 x 4 (More money, mood fine)
    2) 6.75 x 4 (More money, mood fine)
    3) 7.5 x 4 (More money, getting close to breaking negotiations)
    4) 10 x 4 (Signed)

Thats fine with me, but I just don't want to be seeing random contract extensions done, especially when it can influence other teams offseason plans (I.E. if LJ resigns Reyes in TBSL, that will affect my plan)
    Last edited by Porter; 06-29-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Fixing CJ's quote.
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Bay is asking for 5 years/80 million and the Red Sox offered 5 years/ 60 mil

I'm not saying I know how much the final value is, but I do know how much he asking for, and how much the team is offering initially. But if he resigns it will be for 5 years/ 68-75 mil
    I think OM is talking more about the talk in between that not being out there for everyone to know. Yeah thats the basics but its far from the 95 percent that we would supposedly know.
    Last edited by cjkalt; 06-29-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: I will get used to this I swear...
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    I think OM is talking more about the talk in between that not being out there for everyone to know. Yeah thats the basics but its far from the 95 percent that we would supposedly know.
    Im saying 95% of the players we know where they stand initally and where the team stands...

I don't think its a big deal for the intermediate stuff to come out AFTER the negotiations are complete... I feel like that should come out... if its after or during that doesn't bother me... but the info should get there eventually
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

If I were to impliment private negotations on a full-time basis, I would keep a sub-forum to keep track of them all in. When each player signed, I'd them post the info of their signing price and whatnot. If a player was on the verge of walking, I'd say you shouldn't have to post that info, as it's pretty obvious anyway because he will wind up on the trading block. As far as I'm concerned, at that point it's basically between the two teams closing in on a deal to work out value and honesty together as to relating to the players' demands and a fair package. If one GM doesn't want to reveal the asking price, then obviously there's going to be less demand for his player. It seems like that's completely fair game... it's no different than a GM who has no intention of keeping a player not even inquiring about the price to begin with. I.e. what if someone never bothered to check the value of a player before putting him on the block? Unless you're the owner of the league or have access to the file, you have no way of finding out... so you either deal with it or don't trade for him.

I don't see anything unfair about that... and in most cases, I doubt there will be GMs who do not want to disclose the re-sign price once in negotiations with another team. That slows the negotiation process.

The way I see it, private negotiations would almost add a new element to the game. Whether the vast majority likes that new element or not, I don't know... but I don't think that it makes it unfair by any means-- especially if everyone is doing it.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

I guess I just disagree... I think that info should be public after the fact
    MSLSeattle0001

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

I guess I just disagree... I think that info should be public after the fact
    It is always public after the fact. The transaction report and the team salary report show every extension and those of us that check the pending FA report will see that he is no longer on that report.

It seems fear of others cheating might be a large motivating factor here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast