Thread: League Rules and FAQ

MLB ERA

League Rules and FAQ

MLB ERA

Re: League Rules and FAQ

Part 1: Roster Changes

I am going to break this down into 4 parts. A, B, C, and a D.

A) Promotions/Demotions/Releases

Please, when you list out your promotions/demotions/releases, try to list them by position in this order:

SP
    MR
    CL
    C
    1B
    2B
    3B
    SS
    LF
    CF
    RF
    DH

It simply makes it easier on me, because that's the order the game engine lists the players. So instead of scrolling up and down through everyone's minor leagues, I can do them in order.
    Furthermore, if you have various call-ups and demotions ranging from A-MLB, bunch your A-AA promotions, AA-AAA, AAA-MLB (and so on, so forth) together.

Here is an example of what I'm looking for:

DEMOTIONS
    SP Scott Elbert (MLB to AAA)
    MR Matt Riley (MLB to AAA)
    C Russell Martin (MLB to AAA)
    SP Gil Carrasco (AAA to AA)
    MR Michael Guinn (AAA to AA)
    SP Mart Otte (AA to A)
    RF Pascual Montero (AA to A)

PROMOTIONS
    SP Bronson Arroyo (AAA to MLB)
    MR Ray King (AAA to MLB)
    C Dave Ross (AAA to MLB)
    LF Casey Blake (AAA to MLB)
    SP Kevin O'Neal (AA to AAA)
    MR Dallas Braden (AA to AAA)
    1B Samuel Reno (AA to AAA)
    SP Jason Barnes (A to AA)
    C Rene Martin (A to AA)

RELEASES
    SP David Armstrong (AAA)
    MR Aaron Heilman (AAA)
    SP John Slay (AA)
    CL Celso Pantaleon (AA)
    SP Aldo Domenech (A)
    MR Michael Nader (A)
    SS Mark Rollison (A)

It's really simple, even if it seems like excessive work. Any questions or suggestions, feel free.

b) Lineups

I don't fault anyone for doing this, but very often I will get full line-up changes with only one position player swap in each line-up, and it just stalls me when I can't tell exactly what I am changing for a minute or two of staring at it. Part of that could be due to my stupidity, but these methods can help!

When filling out a line-up and presenting me with changes, there are other presentable methods I will accept if you're unable to follow some of these rules... but to make it easier to read when you have to make a change, I ask and recommend you do them like this:

Here is a 1-8 line-up:

LINEUP VS RHP Pos
    1) R T. Beckham SS
    2) L J. Pierre CF
    3) L K. Fukudome LF
    4) L B. DeWitt 2B
    5) R A. LaRoche 3B
    6) R R. Martin C
    7) S W. Betemit 1B
    8) R M. Kemp RF
    9) L K Griffey Jr DH

If you are going to change the line-up around extensively, to the point where you're re-tooling everything, I understand the purpose of not balding. But if you're doing something like this, please bold your changes.

For example:

LINEUP VS RHP Pos
    1) L J. Pierre CF
    2) R T. Beckham SS
    3) L K. Fukudome LF
    4) L B. DeWitt 2B
    5)S S. Spezio 3B
    6) R R. Martin C
    7) L J Loney 1B
    8) R M. Kemp RF
    9) L K. Griffey Jr

It really makes things easier on me, and in return for everyone else, I can say it will result in quicker sims on certain days. I know some of you use this method already, and it isn't a huge inconvenience. It would just help.

Questions or any additional small changes
    {IE, position changes}
    Change AAA LF Todd Linden's position from LF to RF.

Other notes:

- Do not submit non-DH lineups, because this is a DH only league

- If you have any depth chart changes, please include them right along the section with your line-up. Let it be noted I have no qualms with depth charts or entering them, but if you plan on overhauling your lineup and changing it a lot over the course of a few sims, it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep manually setting depth charts and makes more sense to have me let the computer set them. I will automatically auto your depth chart if they don't make mention of anything relating to it one way or another. It gives starters rest, and 95% of the time I find the CPU does a good job with finding playing time for subs for subs anyway.

- You can change a player's position if you'd like even if they're at the MLB level. Just make sure the player's name, their current level (A-MLB), and the position your changing them to and from is shown if you would like me to do this. You can change anyone's position from and to anything, but there's no guarantee they will adapt to their new position.

a thanks doesn't hurt every once in a while bro

MLB ERA

c) Pitching Staff

Please make note if you would like your rotation to be a 4-man or 5-man, and if you would like it to be in strict order, or have the most rested starter start on a daily basis.

Starting Rotation
    1) R R Harden
    2) R J Santana
    3) R A Wainwright
    4) R B Arroyo
    5) L M. Mulder

Spot Starter
    While the spot starter slot doesn't show up on the league site, it is available. If wanted, please also state what percentage you would like your spot starter to start (anywhere from 1-100% is allowed to my knowledge).

Mopup Reliever
    1) L M. Riley
    2) R J. Fogg

Middle Reliever
    1) R Y. Brazoban
    2) R L. Vizcaino
    3) L B. Fuentes
    4) R J. Fogg

Setup Reliever
    1) R L. Vizcaino
    2) R T. Pena

Closer
    1) R J. Broxton

d) Team Strategies, Promotion Days, Position Changes, or other notes

Promotional days are days that increase fan interest, but cost money to schedule. You must have team cash to be able to schedule one, and it has to be during a home game.

Here is a picture of the options you have for the promotional days:

Team Strategies is a section within the OOTP game:

The first link is to a picture of the options for the team offense & defense tendencies. The second link shows the individual options for pitchers and hitters.

If you have a team strategy change, want to schedule promotion day, or have any other note that you need to make, place this part of your change at the top or bottom of your PM. In the case that you are making a team strategy change, unless you are maxing out a category, please indicate how many clicks from the center you would like me to move the bar. This is the most practical way to do this since it's hard to judge otherwise.

MLB ERA

Trading Format and Rules
    Team A sends:
    Position-Player Name-Star or Spect Rating-Salary
    Salary Subtotal: (Salary)

Team Y gives
    Position-Player Name-Star or Spect Rating-Salary
    Salary Subtotal: (Salary)

An example, from the trade board:

LAN sends:
    SP/MR James Adkins, 5.0 Spect ($ 300,000)
    MR Johnathan Meloan, 4.0 Stars ($ 596,429)
    OF Shane Robinson, 3.5 Stars (MLC)

$ Total:

ATL sends:

RF Cody Johnson, 5.0 Spect ($ 300,000)
    2B Kelly Johnson, 2.0 Stars ($ 1,378,571)

$ Total:

This is an acceptable format. There aren't really rules on how you write it out, as long as it includes all of these specifics.

When sending trades, BOTH teams must send a copy of the deal to me. Only then will I verify it and post it on the transactions board. We have had some confusions in the past, so this is a must now.

There are three rules to trading:

1) You may trade draft picks

2) As for limitations on trading, no three team trades. If you want to do a three team trade, work it out seperately and send it in at a seperate time. The game simply doesn't allow you to work it out in this fashion, and it's a pain to work around. Furthermore, 10 players per deal. That is for BOTH sides. It is all that the game will allow you to trade. I believe one side can trade 5 players, as well as cash. If you plan on trading any more than 10 players, break it up into seperate deals.

3) A limited amount of money may be included in a deal to help out the other side. You may send up to 2/3 of a players' salary for any deal to help pay for said players' contract. I don't recall what the past amount was, or if we even enforced it, but I believe this is a fair meeting point. It shouldn't be a rule that should come into play too much anyway, but one that is safe to have.That is the basic format that we want, it will make our lives easier.

TradeCouncil

The Trade Council judges a trade on three mediums that they must pass for a trade to be processed

A. Financial: This is simple, if the amount of money you receive in player salary in a trade outnumbers your FA available money, you can't do the trade. For instance

PHI has 5 million in FA money, and he receives a 7 million dollar player in a trade without getting 2 million, giving a 2 million+ player(s), or a combination of both, he cannot do said trade

B. Deception. If a player is injured or has a serious problem, and the person is deceived into doing a deal without them knowing, we will stop the trade to make sure the person receiving the problematic player knows.

C. Talent discrepancy. This is easily the most touchy subject, and I think we are pretty strict on trades that are horribly unfair. If one guy gets a 5 star prospect for a 2 star player, we won't pass it unless there are circumstances for said situation. We are picky, and I don't know how I will explain this, but we use our common sense.

Note:
    Please pay attention to the players on your team and their names (CJ). If you send in a trade without positions or incorrect player names, then i may just aqutomatically reject the trade

Hints when you are trading

A. Consider the financial consequences. A trade is not only based on talent, money is a very big factor in trading. Always be sure to consider whether trading your 3.0 SP making 350k is worth upgrading to a 4.0, but absorbing 12.5 million in salary. Some times are in dire straits because they did not consider salary problems. Sometimes, finances can be more important then talent.

B. Be reasonable. GMs don't like to deal with other GMs who make ridiculous offers. If you want my SP with a 4.0 star rating who I put on the block, offer something good up, either a similar pro player or a great prospect, or maybe a lesser version of each.

C. More often then not, if a team has a trade block, and x player isn't on that block, he is either difficult to get or not available. If you make an offer for him, make it good or don't make it. Even better, inquire if said player can be gotten at all.

D. Make sure your trade has an upside for both teams. If I am going to trade a 2.5 SP for your 2.5 SP who has the exact same everything or who is very similar, what is the point unless I asked for such a thing?

Financials

OK, here is how to judge if you can do a trade financially. With the new format, it is easy.

The team that takes on less salary has no problems, so this is only to the team taking on more salary.

Look at the format, specifically the subtotals of annual salary. Take the higher subtotal and subtract the lower subtotal, and compare it to your available FA money. If the subtotal amount is more then your available FA money, you cannot do a trade, if it is less, you can do a trade, for instance

PHI gives:
    Player X (9,000,000, SP, 4.5)

HOU gives:
    Player Y (1,000,000, 2B, 3.5)

OK, HOU receives the 9m dollar SP, so they take on 9 million dollars (SP) - 1 million dollars (2B), meaning they have to take on 8 million dollars.

HOU total FA money: 4,584,403

In this case, 8 million is more then the 4.5 million and change, so they could not make this trade.

If you release a player, your available free agent cash remains at what it was prior to the release of a contract, upon releasing a player of substantial salary (1 mil or over), you must note your current FA cash listed on the OOTP site. This is done as a preventive measure against a glitch in the game as it takes the money charged to you and puts it against FA expenses while lowering payroll and thus adding more to your available FA funds.

Value of Players
    OK, the value of a player is different for everyone and I cannot tell people how to play. If anyone wants to submit their ideas of values, be my guest and I'll put them here.

MLB ERA

FREE AGENCY COMPENSATION RULES

1. Free agency will now be 5 rounds total every year. The first 4 rounds will all be compensentary now, and each will be simmed 5 days at a time, and then a final 10 day round which is compensentary free.

2. Class A Free agents will net compensation for the first 4 rounds (20 days). Class B Free Agents will net compensation for the first 2 rounds (10 days)

3. Class A type free agents will net compensation in the form of a pick from #11 overall to #40 overall, depending on the signing team.

4. Class B free agents will net compensation in the form of a pick from #41 overall to #70 overall, depending on the signing team.

5. The class of the free agents is decided by ratings.

6. If you sign 2 players of the same class, the team who had the worst record the previous season, will be given the correct compensation. The team who had the better record the previous season, will be given your NEXT ROUND pick, as well as a sandwich pick in between rounds, which we will work out by randomly creating a player and then drafting him for said team. It won't show up on the site as "drafted by such and such" team, but it will all work out the same and all the players and salaries will work out right.

============================================

Qualifications For Class A & Class B Free Agents

New RATINGS Qualifications For Class A & Class B Free Agents
    **Hitters must still have 500 PA to be elligible to qualify for Class A, or 400 PA to be elligible to qualify for Class B**
    **Relievers must still have 70 appearences or 70 IP to be elligible to qualify for Class A, or 50 appearences and 50 IP to be elligible to qualify for Class B**
    **Starters must still have a minimum 200 IP to be elligible to qualify for Class A, or 150 IP to be elligible to qualify for Class B**

Htter requirements:
    There are two different possible point totals, and if a player reaches either, they are elligible. Why two? Because lead-off men and power hitters are completely different in ratings, and points need to be added in a different fashion to reach a set number.

There are two formulas here.

1.) Add "Talent" and "Overall" ratings including contact, gap, power, eye/discipline, and avoid k's. The total for Class A is 80, class B is 75.
    2.) Add "Talent" and "Overall" ratings including contact, gap, eye/discipline, and avoid k's. That's still everything EXCEPT the power category. In place of it, add the player's running speed and stealing ability. Total for class A is 80, class B is 75.

Pitcher requirements:
    Two here. One for MRs, one for SPs since MRs usually tend to be rated better.

Add "Talent" and "Overall" Stuff, Control, and Movement.

SPs:
    Class A total: 55 points
    Class B total: 45 points

MRs:
    Class A total: 55 points
    Class B total: 50 points

MLB ERA

The SBSL Trade Council is:

Bowntown
    Kingdom of Zito
    Doppelganger
    DMBZepplen
    HalladayisGod
    OrioleMagic
    NYGiantsfan
    CrazyEights

Finally, the league minimum salary for a major leaguer is:$300,000.

There is no minor league FAs, no Rule V draft, and no 40-man rosters in this game...yet.

MLB ERA

Owners List:
    Beijing: Bwitty24
    Limerick: Dry1313 (AIM: Dry1313)
    Australia: Browntown (AIM: browntown653)
    Hyrule: giantsfan5689 (AIM: giantsfan5689)
    Koushien: Shadow29

Anaheim: KingdomofZito (AIM: ThreeOrestes)
    Kansas City: Doppelganger (AIM: dfnghesmeh)
    Detroit: Halladay is God
    Brooklyn: open (Interm GM Kingdom of Zito)
    Las Vegas: mntwinsfan (AIM: mauerandmorneau)

Boston: Hammer
    Philadelphia: Providence A's
    Chicago: Dam8610 (AIM: Dam8610)
    Shaolin Shadowboxers: Nick

Valhalla: General (AIM: praporshchik)
    Savannah: missionhockey21
    Tokyo: OrioleMagic (AIM: OHOrioleMagic)
    Durham: Mackjd
    Vancouver: Porter99 (AIM: PorterMariners)

Springfield: DMBZeppelin (AIM:BlackVortex)
    Cancun: CrazyEights (AIM: Crazy8Strikes)
    Minnesota: henks
    Montreal: Foster
    St. Louis: realmofotalk
    Los Angeles Dodgers: JCBizkit87

Boston Tea Party: cjkalt (AIM: theseigeinator)
    Maine: Zodious
    Vice City: HollywoodLeo (AIM: Leopoldo Palmer)
    Flushing: ljshorty89 (AIM: Gla55hAlFfuLl)
    Alaska: bipster

Note: If your AIM isn't on this list, then please PM me, and I will add it.

MLB ERA

SPRING TRAINING

First off, you can go with the option of "Ask Coaching Staff" if you'd like and they'll do their recommended spring training moves. You can also do your own spring training modifications and go with Ask Coaching Staff. If you want me to go with the coaches' recommendations though, please post about it in this thread or PM me. If you don't post anything about spring training, I will leave it default.

Two more important things before I get into how spring training works.

Please limit your spring training mods to around 15 players.
    When listing your spring training mods, please seperate the batters from the pitchers, and if possible, it would be great if you could try to list the players in alphabetical order (not perfect alphabetical order, but just be the letter at the least).

As you can see, the game seperates pitchers and batters into two categories, and lists it in alphabetical order. So when there is a lot of players listed, it would be much easier to scroll from top to bottom and just a lot quicker.

Hitters:
    Four categories (contact, power, eye, defense) with 20 points to spend for each player. You can also teach a position, but in order to do this, you'll have to spread out only 15 points and put 5 towards teaching a new position to the selected player.

Please list the points in this format:

Randall Simon: 5,5,5,5 +Learn Position (if needed)

There's a picture for more explanation if anyone's still confused.

Pitchers:
    Four categories (stuff, velocity, control, stamina) with 20 points to spend for each player. You can also teach a new role, but in order to do this, you'll have to spread out only 15 points and put 5 towards teaching the new role to the selected player.

Please list the points in this format:

Kevin Tapani: 5,5,5,5 +Learn Role (if needed)

Again, if anyone's confused still, there's a picture of the pitchers' spring training.

MLB ERA

It was long overdue, but I revamped the rules for the SBSL. I combined mine, General's old rules, mission's, and Nick's into one big happy family. I probably forgot something, but it can always be changed or added later.

Also, check out the trading rules, because they will be enforced strictly.