Thread: Draft Change for 2020 and beyond!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Draft Draft Change for 2020 and beyond!

The draft will be held during the preseason from now on. We will no longer be having any sort of board draft. We will have a live draft. We'll either do 3 rounds at once or on separate nights since there isn't a need to rush it. Short lists will be allowed for those that cannot make it.

I'm just tired of interrupting the season for a small live draft that only 5 people show up to because the best part of the draft is already done. I think this will be more exciting and hopefully increase participation as well. It will give drafted players more time to develop during a season, too.

MLB ERA

Re: Draft Change for 2020 and beyond!

ugh

Here's to a future of nothing but auto sim drafts for the Padres, as I'm sure these live drafts will all occur on weekdays in the evening when I'm at work.

Why not just get rid of that last second live draft and auto whatever's left after the sim to 6/1?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hopefully the draft classes suck so I won't have to worry one way or the other what the AI gives me.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

as stated, people that can't attend will be allowed to send lists. do some scouting and you should be able to make a list of players that should be available to you at your pick.

and also as stated before, the drafts aren't going to be edited as much. there's too much talent in the league right now.

AAA ERA

If you do 3 rounds serperately, wouldn't this be the same problem as last time. Except you'd have no shows for at least 2 of the drafts?
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

What if we do a board draft that starts at the beginning of the offseason, giving people with the first few picks time to make their selections when there is actually a pretty significant difference in one pick to the next, and then after FA but before ST do the live draft to finish it off?

I like the idea of moving it up from June 1st. Theres no reason not to in the sim world, its not like we need to wait for these guys to finish their HS/college seasons.

MLB ERA

to DMB: maybe, maybe not...we may only do 2 rounds. it gives people more of a chance to make 1 of the dates and will make that night quicker. doing it all at once is very time consuming. we'll see what happens.

to Mackus: I'm doing this because I don't want to do the board draft anymore. It takes forever and is very time consuming. That wouldn't have been any different from how it was done before with the exception of the actual draft time in the game being earlier.

If the live draft is at the start of the offseason then I agree with you, it wouldn't be any different. If we do the live draft at the end of the offseason then the board draft would just be a chance for a head start. If someone delays and bogs it down, its no big loss, but if it happens to be one of those times it moves quickly it could be helpful, especially to people who can't always make the live drafts.

MLB ERA

if you can't make the draft, then send a list. I'm not exactly sure when the draft pops up in the off-season schedule yet...I probably won't know until I actually roll it over to 2020, but regardless there won't be a board draft this season.