Thread: Spring Training Question: New Pitching Roles

Question Spring Training Question: New Pitching Roles

Sure, it's a little late. But I need this explained anyway. In Spring Training, you can have a player learn a new position. I understand that. But similarly, you can have a pitcher learn a new role. Now this confuses me. With hitters, if I try to change their position normally, I can only cycle through the positions they're rated for (which I can easily find by looking at their fielding ratings). However, for pitchers, I can cycle through all three roles no matter what. I can't find anywhere where it tells me a pitcher is only rated for a specific role. So I change roles willy-nilly only looking at endurance as a guide. The fact that there is a "Learn New Role" capability in ST suggests I shouldn't be switching a pitcher's role like I have. But how do I know what a pitcher's natural role is?

Right now I'm playing OOTP in career mode to try and learn what the heck I'm doing. I have a guy with an endurance of 3 in my Single A club. He's slotted as a MR, but has a prospect rating of 5 stars. So I'm thinking maybe I should slide him into the closer's role. But can I just do that, or does he need to learn the role in ST first? And how will I know that he's learned the role successfully?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Spring Training Question: New Pitching Roles

You're putting too much thought into it. If he has the ratings, he can easily be a closer.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

So there aren't separate ratings for each role like there are for fielding positions? So what good can come of teaching a pitcher a new role in spring training? With position players, it actually unlocks that position for them, and assigns them a fielding rating. For pitchers, does it effect anything?

MLB ERA

Nope.

If he's a pitcher he can do any role, be it starter, middle reliever, or closer.

The only thing that you have to look at is endurance if you're trying to make him a starter.

All my starters have to have, at least, a 7 on endurance.

That doesn't mean they can't start with less than 7 endurance....they just won't last that long in the game.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

So "Learn New Role" in Spring Training is a completely pointless function? That's stupid.

Okay, that's how I've been approaching the pitching. I just got concerned that I was doing it wrong because of that "Learn New Role" thing. Thanks for the info.

MLB ERA

It's more for organization purposes so that the guy you're using as a MR can be listed as a MR and the guy you're using as a CL can be listed as a CL I guess.

I don't even know anything about that, though, I don't have OOTP so if I want someone to change their role I just tell Crazy and he does it for me.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000