Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Live Free Agent Sim Tonight!!!

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Live Free Agent Sim Tonight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    yeah, if you offer $20 Mil to a player and he signs with someone else, it would be nice to be able to spend it in other areas.
    It's a nice concept, and I admit that the live sim was fun, but now that I've thought about it, it's really not fair to those who made thought-out offers by the deadline, only to have them blown out by bidding during the live sim.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I have no problems with the live sims for acutal sims. But to have them for Free Agency? What happens to people like me that turn in offers at a deadline and can't make a live sim. It would defeat the purpose of having a deadline if you have them make offers during the sim. I would pretty pissed off if I lost out on a guy because someone who could essentially not send a PM and make an offer during the live sim and win. That team wouldn't be given a chance to counter at all.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    It's a nice concept, and I admit that the live sim was fun, but now that I've thought about it, it's really not fair to those who made thought-out offers by the deadline, only to have them blown out by bidding during the live sim.

I agree to a point. Although, that is a benefit for going to the sim. It's like rewards for participation. If you earn points for participating in leagues, you get benefits and rewards. Although, this may not even be much of a reward. For example, i don't think anyone even signed for those offers that were made during the sim. If you can't make the sim, you can submit your best offer, and it won't make much difference.

Some will say that circumstances prevented them from being there, and i undestand that. Life comes before sim leagues. Although, most sim leagues have some sort of live draft. How is this different from a live draft? I've never been to a draft that every GM was able to be present. So, the ones that get there lose out. The GMs that attend the draft get their choice of players. If you weren't there, the most you can do is send a list, or youe pick is autoed for you. Even if you send a list, it just isn't the same since some GMs are there live. You don't know who was picked before you when you send in a list, but the GMs that are there at the draft do, and that can make a difference when making your pick. I think live drafts are fun, and a good idea. I also think a live free agent fun can be just as much fun. Most of the GMs were at the draft last night. There were more GMs in attendance that almost any draft I've seen.

The only thing that I think could have been improved is the delay between days, but like i said before, that is something that can be improved. The first time anything like that is tried is usually a learning experience.

MLB ERA

Maybe we can still do the live sim but just not accept new offers during them?

I do like the excuse to go into chat with everyone to see what happens live.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    I have no problems with the live sims for acutal sims. But to have them for Free Agency? What happens to people like me that turn in offers at a deadline and can't make a live sim. It would defeat the purpose of having a deadline if you have them make offers during the sim.
    I understand your concern, but I do think it's similar to a live draft, like i said in my response above. When there is a live draft, there is a deadline for submitting lists (if lists are even accepted. It is possible that a player that you didn't plan on dropping to your pick is actually available. If you didn't expect him to be available, he may not be on your list, and you would essentially lost out on that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    I would pretty pissed off if I lost out on a guy because someone who could essentially not send a PM and make an offer during the live sim and win. That team wouldn't be given a chance to counter at all.
    Then perhaps HollywoodLeo's suggestion would be a possible solution. He suggested that a GM can only submit an offer if a player he made an offer to signs with someone else. So, if the GM did not send an offer PM by the deadline, then he is locked out of making any additional offers.

I think this is more of a fun idea than a big "win all" type of thing for those that are able to make the sim. I don't think anyone signed from those additional offers. I may be mistaken, but I don't remember any. This isn't something that I hid, I did mention it in one of my posts.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree to a point. Although, that is a benefit for going to the sim. It's like rewards for participation. If you earn points for participating in leagues, you get benefits and rewards. Although, this may not even be much of a reward. For example, i don't think anyone even signed for those offers that were made during the sim. If you can't make the sim, you can submit your best offer, and it won't make much difference.

Some will say that circumstances prevented them from being there, and i undestand that. Life comes before sim leagues. Although, most sim leagues have some sort of live draft. How is this different from a live draft? I've never been to a draft that every GM was able to be present. So, the ones that get there lose out. The GMs that attend the draft get their choice of players. If you weren't there, the most you can do is send a list, or youe pick is autoed for you. Even if you send a list, it just isn't the same since some GMs are there live. You don't know who was picked before you when you send in a list, but the GMs that are there at the draft do, and that can make a difference when making your pick. I think live drafts are fun, and a good idea. I also think a live free agent fun can be just as much fun. Most of the GMs were at the draft last night. There were more GMs in attendance that almost any draft I've seen.

The only thing that I think could have been improved is the delay between days, but like i said before, that is something that can be improved. The first time anything like that is tried is usually a learning experience.

Unlike the draft, which impacts the league later down the road. This impacts the here and now and I just don't feel its right that people get to offer again because those who sent offers wasn't expecting a live sim to be there. It was out of the blue. We made offers based on a live sim not being present.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post

I would agree with Leo on this one.

MLB ERA

What if we do it this way. Instead of allowing anyone who's offer was rejected to make new offers....what if only the people who make an offer to a guy, AND come within 1 year, or a certain percentage of salary get to make offers. Anyone who was way off on signing the guy has tio deal with it?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    What if we do it this way. Instead of allowing anyone who's offer was rejected to make new offers....what if only the people who make an offer to a guy, AND come within 1 year, or a certain percentage of salary get to make offers. Anyone who was way off on signing the guy has tio deal with it?

I'm going to propose a 3 Rule System

1) If you offer a guy and he turns down your offer you can do 3 things

A) Increase an Offer to a Player you are currently offering
    B) Make an Offer for a similar position player
    C) Make an Offer to a player the same age

This prevents wild tantrums like mine on Peavy last night...just a thought

Porter, maybe more notice is needed but I agree with Crazy that its no different than a draft, if you can't make it, just simply make your best offers before hand, if you can't make it and you try to pinch money you gotta be out in the cold. The point is to make this the most enjoying for everyone and anyone that was there last night really enjoyed it. So I agree on some reforms (like I stated above, but we shouldn't tank the whole idea
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post

We could, but it is more fun if offers can be made in some form. I have no problem with rules like what you, lj, and cj suggested. I think there has to be some way to do it without upsetting everyone.

It starts at 9:00pm EST in the chat
    oh come on! How am i supposed to make that! its at 2 AM my tim
    TBSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2010-present
    Former TSSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2019-2020 163-161 .501
    Former TSSL manager of the Toronto Blue Jays 2018-2019 record- 118-206 % .364
    Former CSSL manager of the San Fransisco giants 42-40 % .512

overall record 323-407 pct: .442

www.youtube.com/packersrock58
    christopher_stone_1@msn.com

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrewrock View Post
    oh come on! How am i supposed to make that! its at 2 AM my tim

stay up late? lol there is no way to make a time that is convenient for everybody.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Perhaps you shouldn't mess with something that works.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Perhaps you shouldn't mess with something that works.
    perhaps. in all honesty, only one gm has complained. compared to 16 or 17 GMs in the chat that seemed to enjoy the opportunity. well.... giantsfan kinda complained too.

ugh i got a cricket game in the morning so i have to get up quite early
    TBSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2010-present
    Former TSSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2019-2020 163-161 .501
    Former TSSL manager of the Toronto Blue Jays 2018-2019 record- 118-206 % .364
    Former CSSL manager of the San Fransisco giants 42-40 % .512

overall record 323-407 pct: .442

www.youtube.com/packersrock58
    christopher_stone_1@msn.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast