Thread: Mock Draft 1.0

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mock Draft 1.0

It's ugly. It's brutal. And if you don't have a top pick, it smells really bad. Such is the case with the 2010 Ammy Draft class. And deservingly so. But, all is not lost. There's a few brave souls that stand above the rest, that are built for greatness, and one day might supplant ...all of the jokers with really bad European last names. That's right. The top of the class, coming to you... now.

1. SP Justin McKnight
    Perhaps he was one of the New Kids on the Block, or maybe not. At any rate, McKnight should be valued very highly and that's because he is the best player in the draft. In a league where good hitters are a dime a dozen, you need top flight pitching to have a chance. So either you pretend you are George Steinbrenner and give a pitcher 100 million or you settle for drafting the same kind of pitcher for a measley 2-3 million signing bonus. McKnight is a power lefty, throws five pitches, and is loyal- which seems to be pretty rare among superstars. Oh yeah, he's almost major league ready. It's hard to make a case against him, unless you have about a dozen 10-10-10 pitchers laying around.
    Most like: Johan Santana

2. SP Chase Richards
    He is great, but he's not the top of the class for a few reasons: Not as much talent, not as much development, and he's a righty. Look, I'm not faulting him because he's a righty, but let's face it, when choosing between a good young lefty and a good young righty, you're going with the lefty. But Richards is no slouch. He also throws hard, has four pitches, and at 165 pounds, he might be an Olympic swimmer. Richards doesn't hve the loyal rating though, whether that ends up being a factor one day, is yet to be seen. He's young, he's worth the gamble and there's not much after him.
    Most like: Daisuke Matsuzaka

3. CF Matt Christopher
    It is natural to seek out the 5 tool players. They bleed potential, it's almost mesmerizing. So either you're getting the next B.J. Upton or you are stuck with the next Juan Encarnacion. Or perhaps worse. The fact is, you are naturally attracted to an average and power hitting, base stealing defensive player that also draws a walk. That's what you can get with Christopher. There's add bonus of being major league ready, then it's only a matter of filling out and achieving such high promise. Christopher could become a staple of the league if he pans out, and frankly, you don't want that to ever happen if you are the rival of whichever team ends up drafting him.
    Most like: Grady Sizemore

4. C Ryan Culver
    There's always a need for catchers, real life and sim life. It's another fact of OOTP life. It just is. They're largely hit and miss. Same can be said for prospects. If you get the opportunity to get a young catcher, you pounce. But usually, a smart person, isn't trading good young catching. Instead you're stucking persuing older free agents or drafting prospects. In Culver's case, he projects well since he will hit for high average and not strikeout much. You're just being picky if you're expect a lot of homeruns from a catcher, so take what you can get. Culver has a way out if he ends up busting, at worst, perhaps he's your backup catcher. He has the obvious offensive potential, but at the same time, you can't argue with the defense. Most of the time, you don't get both in one catcher.
    Most like: Joe Mauer

5. CF Kyle Jacobs
    Unfortunately, you might wind up settling for something here. There's a couple of possibilities but let's go with the best rounded one. With Jacobs, you get a solid bat with good power and a good eye. His defense is good and he will steal a few bases. Basically you get the whole package, but you don't feel like you got a great player. Jacobs could be one to surprise with his ability to get everything done. Buyer beware: He's "very inconsistent"
    Most like: Bobby Abreu

6. SP Paul Gill
    You might be reaching, you might not even consider him, it just depends on what your needs are. Pitching just doesn't exist really in this draft, so it might be worth it to get the last remaining good looking starting pitcher. Gill can mix it up, he doesn't over power but has good command. He has his faults, the endurance may hold him back from ever being that complete game majordomo you've always wanted but you might live with the alternative.
    Most like: Mike Mussina

7. CL Chris Cutter
    Here's the guy that's most likely to go really early, even though he's just a reliever. Here's the weird thing, we'll give relievers ton of money in free agency. We'll demand a lot of talent if we want to trade one. But we usually don't look to give up much to get one. Yet we're always wanting one. Cutter could go in the top 3, frankly, and it won't surprise me. He oozes dominant closer. He has great attributes, like being a leader, being consistent, being clutch (who doesn't like a closer who's clutch? besides the mets). Then there's the whole 10-10-10 thing. And he throws in the triple digits. Sounds too good to be true. Someone will think that, and he'll be gone, very early.
    Most like: Mariano Rivera

8. RF Adam Sax
    So do you invest a top ten pick in a guy with the last name Sax? Or a guy with the nick of Crazylegs when he's slow? He looks like he might be a big OBP guy in the future, but he doesn't have that good of power right now. Unfortunately, he grades out to a lower of the order type of hitter. But that's the fun thing about prospects. They can die, they always die, trust me, but they can always gain talent and become amazing. It happens, just not when you expect it.
    Most like: Matt Murton

9. 1B Austin Joyce
    There's a lack of power, well, yeah there's a lack of everything, but power fades by the end of the top ten. With Joyce, you do get power and maybe the ability to do damage in the middle of a lineup but he is lacking quite a bit. The plate discipline is nothing good to look at, his defense is weak so he's either a 1B or a DH, not much versatility basically. He's also slow. But, if you need power, by all means, plug him in.
    Most like: Paul Konerko

10. 1B Val Paige
    On the other side of the coin is a 1B with good defense, limited power, a feminine first name, and well, a just as slow guy. I believe Val Venis and Diamond Dallas Paige had a child together, and this is what happened. Nothing good, essentially. Maybe he gains power and pretty much justifies this being a high pick. But then again, there's nothing else jumping out at you, maybe Dallas Jeter (what the hell), Russ Branyan's brother, or perhaps Jeff and Jered's brother Matt. It won't be pretty regardless, at least for now. Is that a problem? No, not really.
    Most like: Scott Hatteberg

Moral of the story? Well, if your team was really bad or you took a team that was really bad, you will get rewarded. But if your team was average, stuck in the middle going nowhere, well, there's always next year's draft, or free agency, or meet the rewards program frequent flyer milage thread thingy and be registered for a chance to win a franchise type. Only if you use MasterCard.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Mock Draft 1.0

should make for an extremely light, live draft.

MLB ERA

Thank god for the 3rd pick. I'll be cool with any of the top 3 guys you listed....watch my pick get difficult when someone takes that closer above me.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    should make for an extremely light, live draft.
    the first ever "we're only doing 1/3rd of the first round live, simming the rest" draft
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Thank god for the 3rd pick. I'll be cool with any of the top 3 guys you listed....watch my pick get difficult when someone takes that closer above me.
    hmm, well, if hank steinfan is bent on taking Christopher at 1, henks should consider taking mcknight at 2 even though his pitching is really nice and he doesn't have any big bats.. he could reach a little on culver or jacobs. You should have an excellent choice of players at 3
    Ted

MLB ERA

Nice column Zito. I know I didn't give you a lot to work with.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And I'm glad.
    Ted

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    the first ever "we're only doing 1/3rd of the first round live, simming the rest" draft
    for sure...anything beyond that is pointless or just for the truly anal

MLB ERA

Im intrigued who is going to fall to me at 4
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs