Thread: Ammy Draft Mock!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ammy Draft Mock!

Brought to you by Buster Olney and Charles Barkley(we need a token analyst to ramble on about things people have no idea what's being rambled on about, much like this sentence)

Quick Hits-
    Stengths of the Draft
    Offense
    In a league lacking contact and walks (but heavy on the order of strikeouts), one of the best gifts of any draft would be to correct such disadvantages. The draft is loaded with potential .300 hitters and guys who could draw a walk every now and then. The draft also offers depth at three positions that are usually hard to find greatness at. First, catcher. There's three that immediately stand out, that could be easy top five picks. Second, shortstop has four guys who's main position is shortstop that are easy considerations for the top ten. Finally there's plenty of 3B worth taking very early

Strengths of the Draft

Pitching
    Control pitchers rise to the top, both as starters and closers. Expect the majority of first round pitchers taken to have very high control, likely the first three taken, have very high control ratings.

Weaknesses of the Draft
    Offense
    The lack of 1Bs. Which isn't a bad thing, considering OOTP drafts are typically heavy at first. There's still some great 1B prospects. There's also a lack of complete base stealers and defenders. Largely the defense is hit or miss and while there's a few great looking speedsters, in the end, they're mostly destined for a lot of caught stealing.

Weaknesses of the Draft

Pitching
    Flame-throwers. There's not many. At best, you might see 4-5 worth taking in the first two rounds and two are relievers. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering the incredibly high rate of strikeouts in the league.

The Mock
    Note: Keep in mind it is one person's opinion and not what you should do. Also, the mock was based on best players and not each team's need (it's not like the NFL or NBA where players typically play immediately).

1. 3B Nathan Ryan
    While one may argue that Matt is the top Ryan, it's nearly impossible to argue against a guy that you could start in the league this very minute. With Ryan, you instantly get a starting 3B with decent enough speed and good defense, as well as a good developed eye. He's 23 with a high ceiling, but there's not many high ceilings that can play right now.

2. SP Matt Ryan
    Pitching is always a must. It wins championships. So why not take a chance on the top pitching prospect, one who is well versed in every aspect of being a potentially great pitcher. His age and durability separate him from Juan Montoya.

3. SP John David Booty
    Once you've gotten familiar with OOTP leagues, you'll see the constant need for valuable pitching. Booty is only a slight step down from Matt Ryan. Basically, he's just not as sexy in terms of every aspect of ratings.

4. SS Eladio Pena
    Here's another player you can draft that's ready to play right now. While he has nearly the same ceiling as N.Ryan, he does lack speed and good defense. Pena provides a good bat against lefties, and is still decent enough against righties to play right away.

5. SP Juan Pablo Montoya
    Yes, it is his age and that it is a gamble since he will no longer be a prospect in under two years. He's 24, it's a risk, but if this was a 20 year old in discussion, he would be the number one talent. He's a nasty, throwing righty. Think real-life Max Scherzer.

6a. OF Roque Pereira and 6b. OF Keith Rivers
    You could pretty much say both are one in the same. They are of the 5 tool light variety, capable of hitting for average, power, drawing walks, stealing bases and playing good defense. At this point, Rivers has more contact and Pereira has more power. Only slightly on both points.

8. C Jake Long
    Catchers are at a premium. They're an endangered species. Long is easily the top catching prospect, but he's also one of the better hitting prospects. He also plays 3B. He would have been number one, but he has no speed and has a lower contact rating than most of the top tier hitting prospects.

9. OF Darren McFadden
    Players who will end up making a lot of contact, reach base quite frequently and steal tons of bases have special places in my heart. But it's not always about power (but DMC does have a 7, so he could hit a few) and McFadden is a classic case of a the Jose Reyes generation. He's either the best leadoff man in the future, on an allstar #3 hitter.

10. 3B Jake Allen
    He can be best described by saying.. Albert Pujols II.

11. C Isreal Galvan
    Never be ashamed if you have to draft a catcher, especially one with a lot of contact, power, and defensive potential. Good hitting catchers that might win gold gloves are few and far between. Even in real life. Even on games.

12. 3B Glenn Dorsey
    So you get the benefit of taking a guy who plays almost everyone on the infield, albeit not the greatest of range. But the bat potential is amazing. He'd be higher, but there's no speed and he's 23.

13. C R.Lee
    While he has good offensive potential, he's slightly lacking compared to the other catching prospects. But he can be good, really good. He also has a little speed for a catcher and the defense.

14. 1B E.Dahl
    The first 1B off the board? There's not a surplus of top rated 1B's but the first one is a doozy. Think in terms of Prince Fielder, with a lot of contact. He does have no speed, and limited range but we have designated hitters in both leagues, it's not a big deal.

15. SP Jerry Bartz
    He has the potential to be a powerhouse of a starting pitcher. He's separated from M.Ryan and Booty due to being slightly older and having a lower movement rating than some of the top pitching prospects. Still a very strong selection.

16. OF J.Dahlstrom
    Looks can be deceiving. He is not the speedster you might think. While he has a 9 in speed, he's likely to get you as many caught steals as steals. But he's still a good offensive option and a strong defender in the outfield. Just beware if you plan on making him a future leadoff man.

17. 3B M.Cedar
    High quality bat, especially with the power and walk potential. He does have a lower avoiding k rating compared to most of the top class, and does not have speed. But do you really care about speed in an elite hitting 3B?

18. SP Joe Flacco
    A typical rocket launcher here. His control is the lowest of the top pitching prospects and his movement is not as good as Booty or M.Ryan's. But his stuff is what will carry him, along with that fast ball. He and Montoya could be in the top ten for strikeouts for quite awhile.

19. SS R.Milliman
    Again, it's another age issue player. He's already 23. He has less time to develope before he's no longer a prospect and that tinkers with the value. But he's a well-rounded hitter, with speed and outstanding defense. He doesn't have as much power some of the other infield hitting prospects but this guy still will hit a ton and steal a ton.

20. 3B M.Contreras
    You would have saw his name earlier, but there's no speed or defense with this kid. If we didn't have full on DHs in effect, he'd be lower. But for him, he's got the big bat. Think Ryan Braun type, just zero speed.

21. 2B B.Colbert
    Stephen's little brother biggest drawback is that his power potential is lacking compared to others in this range. He's good, though, and if you got this guy in the 20's, you'll be stoked.

22. SP Brian Brohm
    The last of the elite starting pitching prospects. Here's what you might want if you hate walks. Brohm isn't flash like the other five top pitching prospects, because he throws slower and has a weaker movement rating. But think something like Greg Maddux, he'll get the outs and do well without having to strike out a ton.

23. 2B K.Kline
    Kline sets up to be one of the best #2 type hitters you could possibly have; a guy who makes a ton of contact, will walk a lot, has good enough speed, has decent but not good power, and to boot he's got a good glove. Sounds like a home-less man's Robby Alomar.

24. LF C.Bushong
    Besides having a funny name, he has tremendous power potential. He's probably not the best contact option at this point, but he provides a middle of the order thunder any team would want. Average speed, and above average defense included.

25. CF Aquib Talib
    He's number one on the reports, he's not close to number one overall. He doesn't have great power and compared to other top ten bats, he has a low contact rating. He does have the good speed and defense, thus making him good power short of being the 5 tool type.

26. SS R.King
    In all honesty, he's kinda boring and has a 1 for stealing. But he can hit well. At 26, are you THAT picky?

27. C J.Buchanon
    Okay, so here's a guy Mike Piazza could throw out trying to steal and here's a guy that would lose in a foot race with Tony Eusabio. But he's solid on defense and carries a big bat. Todd Hundley-ish?

28. SP Chris Kubik
    We're at the part of the draft where one could go in many directions and not be in the wrong. With Kubik, you do get that older prospect, at 23, but you get the pitcher who has the best chance to be really successful amongst remaining SPs.

29. CF Kenny Phillips
    He's a good contact hitter with nice range, but has average speed and modest power. But a good find late in the first round (much like real life?)

30. 3B Michael Grantham
    There's guys with better power left but I tend to value contact and speed more. That's what you get with him, something like Ichiro. He just doesn't have good defense.

31a. CL Ed Campbell and 31. b CL Francis Johnson
    I wouldn't fault you for taking them a little higher and I can't fault you for taking one or the other before the other cause I'm at odds with both. Both could be great closers. Campbell in the Trevor Hoffman mold (soft tosser, a lot of ground balls, better control) vs. the lefty Johnson who reminds you a lot of an Eric Gagne when he saved 80 plus in a row (100 plus fast ball, amazing stuff, control that might hurt at times). It's your call, flip a coin.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Ammy Draft Mock!

1-32 complete
    Ted

I can't believe you put this much time into it haha. BTW my man McFadden plays in IF not the OF.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

oh well, who cares, throw him out there, he'd prolly be great too

I need to achieve my rewards somehow, right?
    Ted

MLB ERA

McFud dropped

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He didn't move at all.
    Ted