Thread: Tampa Bay - Houston

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Tampa Bay - Houston

Devil Rays trade:
    SP Gustavo Chacin (3.0 stars, $8,000,000)
    SS Adam Pavkovich (2.5 stars, $3,550,000)
    $2.5 million in cash
    Total: $9,050,000

Astros trade:
    CF Roger "Millionaire" Thrasher (2.5 stars, $2,257,143)
    Total: $2,257,143

OK...I know Houston is getting more talent here and I'm sure people will have issue with this, so let me explain. Chacin is expendable, at $8 million, and has been hurt a few times for me anyway. My 4-man rotation of Miller/Peavy/Lester/Bachelder is good enough for me and Finch is waiting in the wings in case of injury. As for Pavkovich, he's precisely what my team lacked: contact hitters. I have enough power in this lineup. Thrasher is young, gets on base very well, and cheap. Houston obviously gets 2 good players too and addresses a gaping 2B weakness as well as getting an established SP and I get a young and cheap OF as I have a rough financial situation.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Tampa Bay - Houston

actually, the only problem I have is Houston taking on over $9 mil as he is already about $3 mil over last year's revenue (the cash you're sending goes into "cash", not salaries)...but he has the FA money available and I guess people need to learn about the financial aspects/consequences of the game on their own. I'll pass it. I guess he plans on putting Pavkovich at 2B...and I don't really see Chacin as much of an upgrade over McBride or Haeger...but talent-wise it's a pass.

MLB ERA

Yeah, he said he's gonna put Pav at second.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Whom do you think you're trying to fool here? You're getting Thrasher, a 25 year old outfielder who is as complete as a hitter can be without power in exchange for Packovich, whose OBP is 100 points less than Thrasher's, and Chacin, who's a good pitcher but on the wrong side of 30.

MLB ERA

eh... I'm kind of with Mofo here. I'm really on the fence. Thrasher is just so good, and the other two pieces are semi-forgetable. Chacin is nice, and if he was even 2 years younger, I would pass this much quicker. But for the salary he's taking on, I don't know why he's doing the deal.

On the fence...

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

theres no upgrade in this for houston, i think he took this just because he didnt wanna say no... which happens sometimes with new guys, not putting any blame on you btown. he can just play blewitt at 2nd til naozane is more ready, which hes kinda close now anyway, and he probably could get a similar guy to chacin (talent and contract wise) for alot less than thrasher. gonna say no.

MLB ERA

Fair enough...

nick said he would pass it if I added a prospect like Rodriguez...would that change anything for the 2 who vetoed?

Also, BuckFoston is horrible to deal with..."I'll look it over," "I don't want to trade him," "I'm good with that." Those were the PMs I got from him after doing all the work for this deal. Also he used THE WINKING SMILEY TWICE AND IT FREAKED ME OUT

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I know Houston has a ton of outfield depth and all, but I just don't see any point of moving their second best hitter for a couple spare parts, even with Rodriguez involved, I just don't like the deal.

Adding money, getting older, giving up the best player in the deal = not good.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

OK, so this fails as is then...3 - 1 with 1 on the fence that sounded like a fail

MLB ERA

I'll talk to him and try to rework it.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    nick said he would pass it if I added a prospect like Rodriguez...would that change anything for the 2 who vetoed?
    Rodriguez with his 6 contact talent? Oh, you're too kind.

MLB ERA

Saw that coming.

MLB ERA

Personally, best idea for me? Throw in Monroe Washington... hear me out before you don't consider it...

He's 24, and light years away. While my comment right there may be grounds for failure alone in some people's eyes, his addition would make this redeemable for Houston in my opinion.

Houston's getting someone to throw into their rotation who will be usefull, Pavkovich (who I'd personally do without completely in this deal and try to find someone else entirely to send his way, but whatever he wants...), and Monroe who is a high upside player, but if he doesn't pan out, you didn't lose anything. At the same time, I'd say it would be fair to pass such a trade, because his upside is high enough where all it would take are a few talent boosts and he'll be ready to replace Thrasher... but you're not taking such a huge risk it's a major downgrade.

You're getting Thrasher, who is essentially at where Monroe SHOULD be right now, only a year older, has been developed for like 3 years now, and is a total stud. Should Monroe develop, you'll have Thrasher anyway.

I think that'd be fair... adding Rodriguez would be ok, but meh... the more I look at him, the more I think he's going to sink into a total reserve role, and then fade out entirely. Not that Monroe is a safe bet either, but he has much more upside.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat