Thread: 2009 Kansas City Monarchs

Rookie ERA

2009 Kansas City Monarchs

I'm going to edit this post with roster moves when appropriate.

Catchers
    Benito Santiago
    Lou Santangelo

Infielders
    1B Fred McGriff
    1B Travis Hafner
    SS Jose Reyes
    3B Hank Blalock
    SS Estaban German
    2B Robinson Cano
    1B Rob Quinlan

Outfielders
    LF Jason Bay
    CF Chone Figgins
    RF Vladimir Guerrero
    OF Nate McLouth

Starting pitchers
    Livan Hernandez
    Jeff Weaver
    Jason Vargas
    Chris Young
    Rodrigo Lopez

Bullpen
    Scotty "Suicide" Allen - Set-up
    Julian Tavarez - Middle Relief
    Mike Gonzalez - Closer
    Bob Howry - Middle Relief
    John Maine - Middle Relief/Set-up
    Kevin Millwood - Long Relief/Mop up
    Jack Taschner - Middle Relief

Players entering their last year of contract
    RF Vladimir Guerrero
    SP Livan Hernandez
    SP Kevin Millwood
    LF Jason Bay (possibly)
    SS Jose Reyes (possibly)
    RP Bob Howry
    RP Kevin Walker
    SP Rodrigo Lopez
    RP Aaron Fultz

20 Top Prospects - Still in Minors- before draft on 6/1 (No particular order)
    CF Joe Winbush
    RF Mickey Hall
    SP Benjamin Cazares
    RF Jesse Barfield
    SS Ian Desmond
    SS Michael Allis
    C Neil Walker
    3B Nate Schierholtz
    CL Gilbert Lipsey
    LF Carlos Quentin
    SP Robert Janssen
    SP Garrett Mock
    2B Nate Sutton
    LF Steven Bellanger
    C Kenneth Cintron
    RP Jack Dieguez
    RP Thomas Strand
    LF Kurtis Durazo
    SP Richie Gardner
    SP Roberto Valverdia

2009 Transactions
    2B Robinson Cano and 1B Robb Quinlan acquired from Washington for 3B Wilson Betemit.
    2B Robinson Cano and 1B Robb Quinlan recalled from AAA. 2B Joe Thurston sent down to AAA.
    RP Kevin Walker sent down to AAA. RP Aaron Fultz recalled to the MLB.
    Signed free agent pitcher Julian Tavarez to a one year contract. Signed pitchers Matt Clement, Jack Tascher, 2B Josh Wilson, and catcher Michel Hernandez to minor league contracts.
    RPs Julian Tavarez and Jack Taschner, and SS Estaban German recalled from AAA. 2B/SS Freddie Bynum, and RPs Aaron Fultz and Vinnie Chulk sent down to AAA.
    (former) GM of the Kansas City Monarchs of the (now defunct) SBSL

Rookie ERA
    The Monarchs are a solid team, and one that puts butts in the seats (71/100 fan interest - 8th in the league). However, those fans are starting to get a little anxious to see this team that also ranks 5th in payroll make the jump from also-ran to a playoff team. The 2007 team improved by three wins over the 2006 version and by 10 games in the standings, but it wasn't enough to overcome the Cleveland Indians in the AL Central both years. 2008 finds them in the NL Southwest along with the defending WS Champion Texas Tornadoes.

There weren't many changes on the Major League roster for the Monarchs. Vernon Wells, who was acquired in a deadline deal last year for the playoff run, left via free agency, so Chone Figgins will be back in centerfield after finishing last year at second base. Catcher Bengie Molina and former Gold Glove leftfielder Shannon Stewart also left as free agents. Returning are Gold Glovers Travis Hafner (1B) and Jose Reyes (SS), who can be eligible for Free Agency for the first time this year. Vladimir Guerrero is in the final year of his contract, as are starting pitchers Livan Hernandez and Kevin Millwood.

Coming over as part of the Dodgers' dispersal draft are new leftfielder and second-place hitter Jason Bay as well as starting pitcher Chris Young. During the offseson, the Monarchs also tapped former Dodger farmhands Michael Allis and Jesse Barfield to help round out the farm system that was further depleted with the loss of minor league pitchers Beau Jones and Rafael Rodriguez.

The only dip into the free agency pool for the Major League squad was Bob Howry who was signed to a one year deal to solidify the bullpen.

The lineup will feature Jose Reyes at the top, followed by Jason Bay and Vladimir Guerrero. Fred McGriff will be back as DH and will resume clean-up duties this year. He will be protected in the lineup by 3B Hank Blalock, 1B Travis Hafner and CF Chone Figgins depending on the opposing starting pitcher. Benito Santiago will take most of the time behind the plate this year and Joe Thurston comes into the start of the year holding down the final spot in the lineup and second base defensively.

The bench is made up of backup catcher Lou Santangelo, who wore out pitchers at AAA last year, 2B-SS Freddie Bynum and utility outfielder Nate McLouth.

The starting rotation begins with the endurance of Livan Hernandez and moves on then to Jeff Weaver's movement and control. Jason Vargas is the lone lefty in the rotation now and will be followed by Chris Young and Rodrigo Lopez.

The bullpen is built from back to front and is perhaps the strongest part of this year's squad. Mike Gonzalez is back for his third year as closer and will be supported by Scotty "Suicide" Allen and John Maine, who is returning from his stint in the rotation at the end of last year. Vinne Chulk will work alongside Bob Howry as righties in the middle and Kevin Walker will be called upon to get out the lefties. Kevin Millwood will be back in the bullpen this year as insurance for the starters.

2009 looks to be a promising year for the Monarchs, but only time will tell if all that money will be well spent.

Rookie ERA
    With the formal announcement of the trade, the Monarchs are pleased to have Robinson Cano manning second for them in the 2009 season. He brings a bit more power and defense to the lineup and strengthens one of the weaker positions in the field.

Rookie ERA
    I did this primarily for my benefit, so that I can scan my players more easily. Also when I switch back to my normal computer, I have all this saved.

Players at Minor League Levels

AAA
    C: Neil Walker
    1B: Jason Hart
    2B: Joe Thurston
    3B: Nate Scheirholtz
    SS: Ian Desmond
    LF: Carlos Quentin
    CF: Joe Winbush
    RF: Jesse Barfield
    DH: Mickey Hall

Bench:
    2B/SS Freddie Bynum
    OF Melky Cabrera
    CF Tomas Cubillo
    LF Kurtis Durazo
    2B Bo Hart
    C Michel Hernandez
    CF Mookie Wilson

Starting pitchers (6)
    R Richie Gardner
    R Anthony Smalling
    R Robert Janssen
    L Reinaldo Abellan
    L Roberto Valverdia
    R Matt Clement

Bullpen
    R Vinnie Chulk
    L Lenny DiNardo
    L Aaron Fultz
    R Justin Germano &
    R Luke Hudson
    R Mike Judd
    R Jl Lera &
    L Matt Merricks
    R Garrett Mock &
    L Jose Nunez
    R Juan Padilla
    L Kevin Walker

Closer
    R Gilbert Lipsey

AA
    C: Adam Johnson
    1B: Dylan Gay
    2B: Nate Sutton
    3B: KaKuei Gombei
    SS: Michael Allis
    LF: Steve Bellanger
    CF: Alexander Morales
    RF: Wes Chamberlan
    DH: Carlos Guerra

Bench
    SS Jose Contreras
    2B Josue Eskridge
    1B Brandon Lewis#
    C Hector Gimenez
    CF Toshimasa Subaru
    SS Marvin Thomas#
    RF Bill Woolridge#

Starting Pitchers
    L Carlos Vasquez
    R Scott Beerer
    L Edward Hodge
    R Shane Komine
    R Benjamin Cazares

Bullpen
    R Sean Britton
    R Jack Dieguez
    R Josh Harris
    L Lincoln More &
    R Thomas Strand

Closer
    L Wayne Ritchie

A
    C: Kenneth Cintron
    1B: Kirby Garton
    2B: Sam Scott
    3B: Edward Serrano
    SS: Roger Miller
    LF: Marvin Orosco
    CF: Armando Suarez
    RF: Ichiro Suzuki
    DH: Gerald Serrato

Bench:
    C Angel Campos
    3B Bernal Cardillo
    C Christopher Messick
    CF Yoichi Mitsuzucha
    C Ramon Santora
    CF Ronnie Shull

Starting Pitchers
    R Carlos Villaneuva
    R Ronald Capo
    R Vincente Areytio
    R Joseph Myers
    R Scott Chee*

Bullpen
    R Serafin Almedia
    L Louis Alvardo*
    R Austin Mays*

Closer
    R Manuel Cordero

*Player not yet promoted to that level. I'm trying to cut down on the work for Crazy during his move.

My organization is definitely top heavy with prospects - mainly because there is little to no depth in the organization as a whole. Hopefully that will change after this year's draft and I can fill out rosters with some player who have a chance to make the majors.

The outfield, which had been barren when I took over, now houses most of the position prospects, and my minor league catching depth has taken a hit over the past year with the promotion of Santiago and the trading of Kottaras and Poisson. Still, Ken Cintron and Neil Walker keep the catching ranks filled out relatively well. I've got some interesting middle infield prospects throughout the lower minors, while most of the corner infield spots project to be bench players at best in the majors.

Pitching is not a strength of the organization, as I've brought up much of the talent that was in the system already. Still, Gilbert Lipsey gives me a third closer (behind Gonzalez and Allen) in the organization that could already do a decent job in the majors. AAA contains many pitchers that are there for insurance purposes in case someone in the bullpen/rotation falters.

Update After the draft: Well, I took a catcher in the first round, though I already have some decent depth there. My other option at the time was another OF that would have gone directly to AAA - so no help there as far as deepening the organization is concerned. The second round was a pitcher who will start at A ball. Decent upside on him and he comes in already as the number 5 prospect in my org. according to OOTP. The rest of the draft was run by the computer and helps to fill out the A ball roster so that I can move up some of my decently rated A ball specs to AA, where I was staffing a bunch of bench-projectable players.

Rookie ERA
    This year's draft results for the KC Monarchs

Round 1 pick: C Adam Johnson. Signing Bonus: $3,030,000
    Round 2 pick: P Joseph Myers. Signing Bonus: $770,000
    Round 3 pick: 3B Kakuei Gombei. Signing Bonus: $160,000
    Round 4 pick: C Ramon Santora. Signing Bonus: $25,000
    Round 5 pick: 3B Edward Serrano. Signing Bonus: $70,000
    Round 6 pick: 1B Kirby Garton. Signing Bonus: $25,000
    Round 7 pick: 1B Gerald Serrato. Signing Bonus: $25,000
    Round 8 pick: P Scott Chee. Signing Bonus: $25,000
    Round 9 pick: 2B Sam Scott. Signing Bonus: $25,000