Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Player Creation Thread

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    And I never said it was. You sound like a little kid to me, insulting my intelligence every single post when I keep making the same point. Why the hell would I want a 10-5-5-10-10 outfielder who I need to wait for instead of taking Ty Cobb who is ready right away? You don't seem to understand me, while creating your own player may be fun, the overall benefit is not as close as the benefits to an import.

Not that you would know, because you are to immature to broaden your horizon and try to understand my point.
    I'm immature??? Grow up son... I have kids almost as old as you guys in here

The benefit... say you are the top payroll team in the majors right now in need of a spect for your system..... maybe you want the ability to have a person in your system for more than 1 or 2 seasons (if the limit is set at one of those 2 numbers).... maybe an extra 15MIL in your team salary will take away your profit, keeping you from having the ability to sign free agents... maybe a GM wants to see (like so many other spects) if they actually UP their talent and become more.... maybe a GM just likes having spects better when in a rebuilding mode

Anyone can see there is a benefit to the historical player... that don't take a rocket scientist.... buyt just as easily, people should be able to see the benefits of this as well....
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Molina00
    Although I am a big fan of speed, I like having guys who can steal bases, I do agree that speed ratings should be lumped together with the basic hitter ratings. When I did the create a player in my league I had the 5 hitting catagories seperate from speed and the result is several guys who are capable of 40-40 seasons.
    Maybe there should be an additional check and balance to it in regards to speed.... I was thinking if you did his, you have a complete slouch on the defensive side after spending 18 points to max out speed, stealing, and baserunning skills

Ideas on this?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    Maybe there should be an additional check and balance to it in regards to speed.... I was thinking if you did his, you have a complete slouch on the defensive side after spending 18 points to max out speed, stealing, and baserunning skills

Ideas on this?
    So speed and defensive points are put together or just a guy with maxed out speed automatically gets bad defense?

I would say just put the 5 offensive catagories and speed together. I think offense and defense should be kept seperate since there are plenty of great offensive players who are also good fielders.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

But like you said, that'd be sacrificing one area in favor of another.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    So speed and defensive points are put together or just a guy with maxed out speed automatically gets bad defense?

I would say just put the 5 offensive catagories and speed together. I think offense and defense should be kept seperate since there are plenty of great offensive players who are also good fielders.
    So 5 offensive categories and speed together

Leaving steals and baserunning ability lumped with the others as originally laid out???

Nah, I like the original way.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    So 5 offensive categories and speed together

Leaving steals and baserunning ability lumped with the others as originally laid out???
    Actually, I'm not sure how would be best. If you added points for speed to the main 5 hitter catagories people would likely just add those points to contact, power or eye and ignore speed. I never really figured out a good way to distribute the points. The way you laid it out in the first post looks fairly reasonable. I think stealing and defense should be seperate but I don't know how the point distribution should work, so I would say stick with your original plan.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA

Ok

I'm immature??? Grow up son... I have kids almost as old as you guys in here

The benefit... say you are the top payroll team in the majors right now in need of a spect for your system..... maybe you want the ability to have a person in your system for more than 1 or 2 seasons (if the limit is set at one of those 2 numbers).... maybe an extra 15MIL in your team salary will take away your profit, keeping you from having the ability to sign free agents... maybe a GM wants to see (like so many other spects) if they actually UP their talent and become more.... maybe a GM just likes having spects better when in a rebuilding mode

Anyone can see there is a benefit to the historical player... that don't take a rocket scientist.... buyt just as easily, people should be able to see the benefits of this as well....
    You know a mature person realizes age has nothing to do with maturity.

As far as payroll, I GET IT. Some people would rather have the extra cash to spend and things of that nature. And prospects do progress. My basic argument is something I'm not sure anyone has understood. There is more risk in creating a player, and no one can deny that. But there is less of a reward. I feel if you are taking such a big risk to help out your franchise, you should have a greater chance of success.

I understand what you'll say about even if he just develops, you retain him for longer and could have him for a good 4-6 years fully developes, not to mention resigning him. I got that. I understand how a team in rebuilding mode might want everyone to reach development at the same time, but still, you can't deny that no matter how the create a player is constructed, the player himself will be better out of the import then the one that is created (before talent hikes that is).

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I understand...which is why I proposed that one of two things.

1) If the plan goes through as proposed, then created players should cost less points than historical imports...say 100 instead of 150.

or

2) If created players are going to cost 150 points, then the plan needs to improve their talent levels.

MLB ERA
    That's exactly what I've said all along. For the same price, you get jipped in talent by creating a player.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I said that before you ever entered the discussion and before Dave came up with his system:

http://strike3forums.com/forums/show...&postcount=179

whatever the blueprint ends up being, it needs to be generous as it should be a comparable option to choosing a historical player. And a lot of participation points are going to be spent, too...

If we can agree that a historical player would be a top notch guy (especially since you can choose exactly who you want), then the other option should be almost equal talent-wise IMHO. Otherwise what would be the point if it were for a crappy spec? He should be a 4.5/5.0 spec, no?
    As I said, this thread was all taken out of context and it began here

after Dave came up with the system, I said the created players should cost less if they're coming out of his system.

Phillies: World Series!!!
    Rookie ERA
    Although I am a big fan of speed, I like having guys who can steal bases, I do agree that speed ratings should be lumped together with the basic hitter ratings. When I did the create a player in my league I had the 5 hitting catagories seperate from speed and the result is several guys who are capable of 40-40 seasons.
    That still didnt stop you from creating the .400+ catcher with blazing speed.

And my guys is only a 40-80 guy cuase of a talent hike in the power catagory
    Yeah I don't really exist anymore
    Molina - Twins
    TSSL - A's
    TBL - A's
    PSL - Denver
    Fail Nobra

Why not make it one or the other for the created player? The prospect who could become as good as the great historical players or a young player who is a good player but is ready and in his rookie year salary wise?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Fisher, that's an amazing idea!

I read some.. skipped alot. But, well.. I don't put nearly as much time into this league even off the bat, as many others here, or so it seems as the fact that my participation points is like 1/5th of many of the top participation GMs.
    Instead of dissing the system by promoting the Hall of Fame guys option, maybe you should argue that both rewards shouldn't be equal. Maybe the amount of points should be significantly less if you feel that strongly that a historical player is such a better deal. Me personally, trying to get back to why I wasn't saying about not putting as much time into the league, it might take me a long time to build up enough points for the historical player.
    So, you see there could be quite a few creative ways to change the create-a-player option to seperate it from the historical player reward. Everyone loves positive reinforcement, it gets the job done.. and you'll find less people jump down your throat about things.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345