25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 56.00%
  • No

11 44.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Expansion Draft Information

MLB ERA
    I voted for expansion which is winning as of now. I think that if there is expansion, we should take on the NFL format for divisions.

As for the expansion draft, I say each team should be required to protect a minimum of 15 players, and allowed a maximum of 20, with some type of bonus for not protecting players that would make it tempting not to protect them.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

I could definitely protect just 20 to 25. That's pretty doable.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I voted no on this. Main reason why is for the teams (not my club) that put together a top team, why break them up? I have some good specs but would i protect them all? All teams need to have starting pitching and a closer/pen help. What would be left is some damn good prospects. We need to do I believe is each team saves 30 players. your top 10 is most likely in that 30 so you only have 20 left. At least it is 5 extra players.

I am for it only if we raise the amount of protected players. IF not there will be two new teams that will be a 500 or better team. We need the new teams to work for that record not just recieve it.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    if this comes to foruition... i would love to get in on this league with a team with a fresh start with my own guys, and not somebody elses leftovers... which is a reason i was very hesitant to be in this league previously.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think 25 people is a fair deal on the players

or you could go

15 Full Protect
    10 Restricted (would get compensation in a way of a draft pick to be determined by the commish).

Another wards if they take one of the 10 restricted they lose a draft pick for the upcoming ammy.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan
    I am for it only if we raise the amount of protected players. IF not there will be two new teams that will be a 500 or better team. We need the new teams to work for that record not just recieve it.
    I don't think that's the case. We will be protecting our best players, so the expansion teams will have the leftovers on our roster, and no star players. That doesn't sound like a .500 team to me. If we go higher than 25 players then the choices will be so easy. We can basically protect anyone decent, and let the expansion teams have the players that we don't really want, or the bad contracts that we want to give up. If the top 10 spects on each team are protected, then the expansion teams will have a horrid farm system. Nobody above a 3 star spect along with a team full of journeymen players (the bottom 5 on each team). I think 25 is a good number. If you want to protect all of yout top spects....then fine....you can protect 15 players on your roster. That doesn't mean you will lose the other 10, because there will be a rule as to how many players can be taken from each team. You will obviously protect your top 15. This way...there will still be some good players available, but not star players. If there is a team that is so unbelievably stacked, then they will likely be the ones that lose a player or two first to even things out.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610
    I voted for expansion which is winning as of now. I think that if there is expansion, we should take on the NFL format for divisions.

As for the expansion draft, I say each team should be required to protect a minimum of 15 players, and allowed a maximum of 20, with some type of bonus for not protecting players that would make it tempting not to protect them.
    The more I think about it...the more I like having 4 divisions of 4 teams in each league. We won't have a wild card, but each team will have only 3 teams in their own division to compete with. That's one thing that I like about being in the AL West. You are competing with 3 other teams for a playoff spot, and it is easier to know your competition as opposed to having a 6 team divvision. Inn a 6 team division you will likely have a couple of teams that are always in the cellar, because there are too many teams to leapfrog.

What type of bonus would there be for not protecting those players, and does anyone else like this idea?

Well, I would appreciate some compensation. I know my team for instance. If I protected everyone on my 25 man roster...which I would have to. That would still leave about 5 specs that are 4.0 or higher I would have to give away. It would be like spending all this time I spent building a team with depth to do well in a salary cap league...then watching some of my foundation tore down.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by albbla2000mu
    Well, I would appreciate some compensation. I know my team for instance. If I protected everyone on my 25 man roster...which I would have to. That would still leave about 5 specs that are 4.0 or higher I would have to give away. It would be like spending all this time I spent building a team with depth to do well in a salary cap league...then watching some of my foundation tore down.
    At most, we're talking two players (2 draft rounds means our two expansion teams put together a 30-man roster each). You should only be able to lose one player per round, and be aloowed to protect a set number more after the first pick. For example, we can protect 25 guys, and then protect an additional 5 for round 2. It'll work. It's not going to kill anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights
    What type of bonus would there be for not protecting those players, and does anyone else like this idea?
    Sounds good to me.

Rookie ERA
    I don't know if I get this idea. It just seems that the only compensation available would be an extra draft pick. That just means that the GM not protecting max players thinks his guys are such garbage that he'd prefer the pick.

Rookie ERA
    There should be a maximum number of players an expansion team can pick for each team.

Colorado Rockies GM in TSSL

Highlights
    • 2006 NL West Champions
    • 2007 NL Wild Card
    • Todd Helton NL MVP ('06 and '07)
    • 2006 NL co-GM of the Year
    Texas Rangers GM in Triple Play

Rookie ERA
    Of course. Savannah and St. Louis, for example, shouldn't give up more players than any other team.

Rookie ERA
    Jamoo,
    I think we'd have to go more than two rounds. The new teams would probably like a farm system deeper than just five players. We wouldn't need necessarily an entire third round, but perhaps another half round like the MLB in 98.
    There would be some teams that would lose three players and some that would lose only two.

If we had a draft, I would like to see it work like this:
    30 picks in the first round - established teams could protect 25 men, and no more than one player can be taken from an established team in a round.
    Between rounds one and two - established teams can protect three more players.
    30 picks in the second round - again no more than one player can be taken from a team in a round.
    Between rounds two and three - established teams can protect three additional players.
    14 picks in the third round - no more than one player can be taken from a team in this round as well.

By the end of the draft, you will have protected 31 of your players - 14 teams will have lost three players, while 16 will have lost only 2.
    The new teams will have 37 players: enough for a 25 man roster and 12 minor leaguers.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with pre-draft deals made with the expansion teams (a la Bobby Abreu/Kevin Stocker trade during 93) so that it is agreed that the team will not select a player in return for something. The teams could also select a player with the ability to trade that player to another system in return for something.

Just my thoughts.
    (former) GM of the Kansas City Monarchs of the (now defunct) SBSL

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brak60
    Jamoo,
    I think we'd have to go more than two rounds. The new teams would probably like a farm system deeper than just five players. We wouldn't need necessarily an entire third round, but perhaps another half round like the MLB in 98.
    There would be some teams that would lose three players and some that would lose only two.

If we had a draft, I would like to see it work like this:
    30 picks in the first round - established teams could protect 25 men, and no more than one player can be taken from an established team in a round.
    Between rounds one and two - established teams can protect three more players.
    30 picks in the second round - again no more than one player can be taken from a team in a round.
    Between rounds two and three - established teams can protect three additional players.
    14 picks in the third round - no more than one player can be taken from a team in this round as well.

By the end of the draft, you will have protected 31 of your players - 14 teams will have lost three players, while 16 will have lost only 2.
    The new teams will have 37 players: enough for a 25 man roster and 12 minor leaguers.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with pre-draft deals made with the expansion teams (a la Bobby Abreu/Kevin Stocker trade during 93) so that it is agreed that the team will not select a player in return for something. The teams could also select a player with the ability to trade that player to another system in return for something.

Just my thoughts.
    Sounds good. I think the bargaining, strategy and deals that would go into this would be a lot of fun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast