Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Team USA's training camp roster

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    Brevin Knight would seem to be perfect since all he's good for is a lot of assists, minimal turn overs, and doesn't shoot much(he sucks at threes and foul shots anyways).

But, my point guard would be Iverson. I want a play maker back there, and someone who thrives on carrying a team. I don't want a fringe NBA starter controlling things..
    Chauncey Billups?

Chris Paul?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    ATL you dont see him play all the time, like i have to up here and really i was trying to make a point on Ravio. Ridnour shouldnt be on that roster period when you already have Billups and Chris Paul. Hell DWade or James are better options too.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Pssstt.. They only have 12 players on the final roster. Had to invite someone. I prefer Ridnour over a guy like Hinrich.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    With AI wanting and itching to go, and you pick Luke Ridnour?

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Pssstt.. They only have 12 players on the final roster. Had to invite someone. I prefer Ridnour over a guy like Hinrich.
    Ridnour and Hinrich are very similar players. Both have spotty jump shots but Hinrich plays better defense and has better work ethic.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Rashard Lewis has reportedly declined an invitation to compete for the USA national basketball team. An official announcement will be made today. Allen Iverson deserves to get the invite if Lewis does indeed pull out. Lewis has nagging injuries (strained quadriceps and sprained ankle) and would like to heal up over the summer if he believes he won't crack the 12-man team. Mar. 5 - 9:50 am et

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Lewis didnt look like he was stuggling when i went to the game on Friday. Then again Luke Ridnour actually went 6 for 10...then promptly let Billups light his ass up again.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Cool, you were at that game? It was exciting stuff for sure. Rip vs Ridnour in the closing minute was just about as good and as exciting as it gets. I went crazy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Jerry Colangelo revealed the real training camp list today, it ends up adding Lamar Odom, Adam Morrison and J.J. Redick, but not Allen Iverson or Greg Oden.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    OLAVARRIA, Argentina (Ticker) - The World Championships are nearly six months away, but the trash-talking already has begun.

The coach of defending Olympic champion Argentina said Sunday that Team USA made a smart decision in not giving superstar Allen Iverson an invitation and that 21-year-old wunderkind LeBron James "plays for the show."

Sergio Hernandez, who has replaced the wildly successful Ruben Magnano, also said the United States squad only warrants the "Dream Team" moniker if it actually plays as a team.

As has been reported for several days, Iverson's name was not on the list announced Sunday of 23 players invited to training camp by USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo. Hernandez said that is a good thing, insinuating Iverson is a selfish player.

"I say all this with a lot of respect: If you want to play like a team, you must leave out Iverson first," he said. "I think the Americans want to change their image. If Iverson was the star of the last squad and that team failed, why would the coach call Iverson?"

At the 2004 Olympics, Iverson was Team USA's leading scorer and exemplified national pride better than perhaps any American player. This season, the seven-time All-Star guard of the Philadelphia 76ers is second in the NBA in scoring and eighth in assists. But that does not impress Hernandez, whose country defeated Iverson and Team USA in the semifinals at Athens.

"Iverson is a player who is used to being the protagonist," Hernandez said. "You must take him or leave him."

Hernandez's criticism of American players did not stop there. He said many NBA players "think about the show before the game" and singled out James, the superstar swingman of the Cleveland Cavaliers who won MVP honors at last month's All-Star Game. "Did you see LeBron James at the NBA All-Star Game? He only wants to be the MVP," Hernandez said. "The United States need a team spirit; the players need to play together. If the 12 players play together, the American team really will be a 'Dream Team.'"

American teams comprised of NBA stars steamrolled to gold medals at the 1992 and 1996 Olympics and the 1994 World Championships. But in this millennium, it has been a different story.

Team USA won the gold medal in the 2000 Olympics but was pushed by Lithuania in the semifinals. At the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis, the Americans finished an embarrassing sixth, losing to Argentina, Yugoslavia and Spain.

The U.S. lost to Puerto Rico, Lithuania and Argentina at the 2004 Olympics, prompting an upheaval of the selection process, in which defensive-minded players such as Bruce Bowen and Shane Battier were chosen over flashier scorers such as Iverson.

"The secret of any team is their 12 players," Hernandez said. "It does not matter if they play in the NBA or in the Argentinian Liga Nacional. The secret is to have good chemistry and a good team spirit between the players."

Hernandez understands the pressure Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski is under to win the 2006 World Championships and 2008 Olympics. However, he believes he is under similar pressure having replaced Magnano, who guided the Argentines to a silver medal at the 2002 World Championships and gold at the 2004 Olympics.

"Krzyzewski could line up three top teams!" he said. "For that reason, the United States are expected to win the tournament, the same as the other main contenders like Argentina. If a World Championship contender did not achieve glory, their campaign would be a failure."

Hernandez mentioned Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony and Paul Pierce as selections by USA Basketball that impress him. Ironically, Anthony complained about playing time at the 2004 Olympics and Pierce was accused of selfish play at the 2002 World Championships. The Argentine national coach is in no way in awe of Team USA.

"We can win against the U.S. team," he said. "We've beaten the Americans many times."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Cool, you were at that game? It was exciting stuff for sure. Rip vs Ridnour in the closing minute was just about as good and as exciting as it gets. I went crazy.
    DK, the last 5 minutes of the game when Ray Allen and Luke vs Billups and Rip was just a thing of beauty. You had to have been there when Ray Allen posterized Tayshawn Prince.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    "We can win against the U.S. team," he said. "We've beaten the Americans many times."
    Yeah but its not nearly as much as weve kicked their asses by 40 or more.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    While Luke Ridnour gladly accepted an invitation to try out for the men's senior basketball team to compete the next three years in preparation for the 2008 Olympic games, Sonics teammate Rashard Lewis declined his invitation. Lewis had publicly lobbied for a spot on the team, but told the Seattle Times he thought politics would play a role in who ends up making the team, as players with large contracts and shoe deals would get preferential treatment. "It's an honor to get the invitation, but I don't want to go through a training camp and get cut," Lewis said. "I think that would really hurt my feelings."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123