Thread: Colts agree to terms with Wayne on 6 year deal

Colts agree to terms with Wayne on 6 year deal

Colts and Reggie Wayne have agreed to a six-year deal worth nearly $40 million, with $13.5 million in bonus money.
    Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Brandon Stokley are all signed long-term, so the Colts passing game will maintain incredible consistency. Wayne and Harrison have split production evenly the last two years, a trend we expect to continue

This is a great deal for the Colts. Wayne is a tremendous young WR, and will contribute for a long time to come.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    I don't get how they gave him that sort of cash with that massive Manning deal, but more power to them. Doubt they can afford to keep EJ around.

There's no doubt in my mind James is a goner. AZ for him?

AA ERA
    Yeah I agree, EJ will definitaley be playing in a different uniform next season after the Colts re-signed Reggie Wayne. The only way I can see him returning is other teams refusing to pay what he is asking, but I doubt that will happen.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan87
    I don't get how they gave him that sort of cash with that massive Manning deal, but more power to them. Doubt they can afford to keep EJ around.
    Duh. I think the writing was on the wall well before the Wayne contract.

MLB ERA
    Edgerrin James could very well stay now.

The reason he was talked about as leaving is because the Colts were unsure if they'd be able to agree to a long-term deal with Wayne. They did, thus enabling them to move around the signing bonus and defer their cap hit, thus enabling them to sign Edge.

If they had to franchise him, then they'd not have had that same luxury, and Edge would be gone.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Edgerrin James could very well stay now.

The reason he was talked about as leaving is because the Colts were unsure if they'd be able to agree to a long-term deal with Wayne. They did, thus enabling them to move around the signing bonus and defer their cap hit, thus enabling them to sign Edge.

If they had to franchise him, then they'd not have had that same luxury, and Edge would be gone.
    That is all contigent on James wanting to come back, which he doesn't.

AA ERA
    Agreed... I think EJ is upset because he wasn't the Colts primary target to resign coming in to this offseason and I can't say I blame him.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan87
    That is all contigent on James wanting to come back, which he doesn't.
    Money can change many things.

And the Colts have t now.

James can't say anything if the Colts free up a little more cash and choose to franchise him.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    James can't say anything if the Colts free up a little more cash and choose to franchise him.
    That is about the only way he will stay around. I dont know if the Colts want to spend that money on him though. They obviously could still use help on the other side of the ball and the rest of the offense is intact.