Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Around the Horn (02/20)

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    I will sell it, but for only this year. Penningtons arm strength was way down this year as he still had some remnants of a tear in his shoulder. With Pennington being known as an accuracy QB, his lack of arm strength becomes even more significant. Pennington would further his career if he would just carry the bags for say, Peyton Manning....not take any snaps during the regular season, let his shoulder fully heel and then become the comeback player of the year in 2007

++++

Maybe you should be his agent?

Dry, whatcha got?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    I’m selling. He’s a solid quarterback who can’t seem to string a season together. I believe football is all about chemistry, and how could he ever get any chemistry if he’s injured. Pennington’s skills have always been average in the NFL, and I’ve never seen him as more than a decent quarterback anyway. With an arm injury a quarterback won’t stay around long (see Ryan Leaf). It’s sad to watch tapes of Pennington in college lobbing bombs to Randy Moss and see all that squandered potential. If he’s ever going to quarterback in the NFL again he’d better have a good season soon, and with the Jets roster looking like it does I see his career as basically over.

Unlike Leaf, Pennington isn't a psycho though. ++++

Next up, the Jays spending all that dough and prospects. Glaus, Burnett, Ryan...buy or sell the Jays being a legit contender in 2006. Around the Horn to Bip.

MLB ERA
    I sell the Jays being a contender this year, they are still too far from the talent level of the Yankees and the BoSox. While the Jays might have gotten some of the best talent in Free Agency this year, it still wasn't GREAT talent. The Jays don't have the hitters to compare with an All Star lineup like the Yanks and Sox. There are still some RBI holes in the lineup as the Jays really only have Wells and a low average hitting Glaus. Their starting pitching is the only thing that can keep the Jays in the running, but their bullpen will squander too many W's away.

+++++ Good stuff Bipster, good stuff.

Dry?

MLB ERA
    I’m selling. They BJ’s had a solid offseason, but their moves are suspect. Glaus is injury prone, Overbay is still widely unproven, and what has Burnett ever done? They will be good, just because of the stark improvements in the bullpen, but injuries to the rotation will once again help slow progress. Also, their immediate displacement of defense will not transition itself well with their already mediocre rotation (spare Halladay). I could never see them as a contender due to the fact that they play in the same division as the Yankees and BoSox. The best I can see them doing is like the Orioles of last year.

++++

Dam?

MLB ERA
    Sell. There are too many question marks on their team. Will Burnett stay healthy? Can Ryan earn his money? Will they have enough spots to play all their corner infielders? Can Gustavo Chacin pitch at least at a #3 starter level? Will Aaron Hill be able to effectively replace Orlando Hudson? Add to all of that the fact that they still have the Yankees and Red Sox in their division, and it looks to me like they'll be out of the playoff hunt before August.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

++++

Roger Clemens has publicly said that he will not decide whether or not to retire until after the WBC. If he does not retire, he'll probably go back to the 'stros, or possibly the Yanks. Buy or sell the Rocket launching again with....the Yanks! Around the Horn to Dry.

MLB ERA
    I'm selling. Clemens burned bridges with the New York media and fans when he left for Houston. He's a good pitcher now, but I'm waiting to see when he'll finally flop. He'd be a great fit, but do I see it happening? No. Not like we need another old pitcher at the end of his rope, we already have injury risks (pavano, wright), oldies (mussina, johnson), guys who could be terrible or amazing (small, wang, chacon). Who needs another starter, especially at the price Clemens will command?

++++

Dam?

MLB ERA
    I can't see it happening. Clemens may have his last hurrah in the World Baseball Classic, but if not, he'll take a month off and come back to the Astros on May 1st (even though even he won't be able to help them until June 1st). Sell Clemens to the Yankees, buy Clemens to the Astros.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

+++

Bip, git'r done.

MLB ERA
    I buy it, I would love to see the Rocket suit up in pinstripes one more time. If for no other reason then to stick it to the BoSox one last time. Think about it, he could join forces with RJ and Moose and singlehandedly make sure that the staff would be great. I would like to see Roger leave the game in the same fashion as John Elway, and Jerome Bettis. If he pitches for the Yanks this year, there will be no other World Champ.....mark my word. Heck, the Yanks will most likely win even if the Rocket doesn't suit up in the REAL pinstripes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast