Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Marriucci, jobless?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    I'm not saying garcia is the answer, because he isnt. getting a new offensive line would help the most. then neither QB would be on their backs most of the time.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Neither QB deserves another shot, anyway, even with a new offensive line. If I were the Lions I'd be looking to draft Omar Jacobs if he declares and pick up some OL in the 2nd round and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    When a player is that fast and fairly big, he is a bad fit at tight end, because he matches up much more favorably against cornerbacks. Getting matched up against a 6'1" 190 pound guy versus facing linebackers and safeties is a big difference.
    I know it's a big difference. Why wouldn't you want a fast guy like Mike Williams facing up against LBs and safeties? Yah, maybe the LBs and safeties are just as big as Mike Williams. But most WRs face up against LBs and safeties every game. Mike Williams would most likely beat them out and be able to make some good plays.

Dallas Clark is 250, Crumpler is 260, Gates is 260, Gonzalez is 250, Heap is 250, Kellen Winslow is 250, Jermaine Wiggins is 260, LJ Smith is 260, Jeremy Shockey is 250. Mike Williams is weighing in between 225-230 and is expected to lose a fair amount of that weight going to next year, seeing as he is pretty much not in playing shape.
    Mike Williams could be turned into a TE easily. Yah, he will be losing weight, because he'll be playing WR next year. Mike Williams as TE was what I was going to do. TEs don't have to be this big 260 lb guy. As I said earlier, yah maybe Mike Williams size would hurt on blocking, but he'd be great as a catching TE.

Too much depth is never a bad thing, but taking people a team does NOT have ANY need for at all is a horrible choice when there are players out there who they do need, and badly (and it's showing how badly they need a solid lineman this year).
    Correct, but drafts are a crapshoot. You really never know what you're going to get. It's not like the Lions can go back now, they only can go forward. Maybe it was stupid, but it happened. People do make mistakes. But I don't see how drafting three WRs was a mistake. What was a mistake is that they didn't address the OL at all really, through free agency or later in the draft.

I'm not saying Harrington should stay, but so far, he IS staying and he IS the best QB they have on the roster right now, but he's being treated like a 5th stringer who's just there as an injury replacement, and that's a poor way to handle any player no matter their position or starter status.
    We get it, Harrington is the least worst QB out of the group. But Garcia has a track record of being a good QB in the NFL cept for his yr in Cleveland. And Harrington? A track record of sucking in the nfl. You can have loads of talent, but still not be the greatest QB. (IE: Ryan Leaf)

It's also time to move on with a new coach, a new owner, a new front office, a new coaching staff. Mariucci hasn't done it, and he's shown no signs that he even can do it, and the same for Millen.
    Yup let's just wipe the Lions clean, eh? Easy as that. Let's press the reset button. Or Mooch, Millen, and the front office can turn it around this offseason build up the OL, and get a new QB, and watch the success play out next season.

Neither QB deserves another shot, anyway, even with a new offensive line. If I were the Lions I'd be looking to draft Omar Jacobs if he declares and pick up some OL in the 2nd round and beyond.
    Jacobs? Leinart would be the best fit in Mariucci's system, especially since Matt would be comfortable with the west coast offense.

MLB ERA
    A guy who can dominate a cornerback and get open is going to perform better than a guy who can outrun linebackers and safeties. No corner can cover him, but there are linebackers and safeties big enough and fast enough to.

He couldn't be turned into a TE easily because he would NEED to put on 20-30 pounds just to get to a good enough weight to play TE and be able to match up in the blocking game.

How do you not see how drafting 3 WRs was a mistake? They wasted at least one first rounder by adding DEPTH. They were not a good team, and they added DEPTH with their first rounder. That's a bad thing to be drafting with a top 15 pick.

Millen has been there since 2001 and he has shown no signs of turning the team around, and somehow he got a 5 year extension. He should be wiped out, the front office should be wiped out, there's no reason to keep them around when they're now in their 5th year of failing at producing a mediocre team.

JAcobs is the only logical QB they can get, since Leinart is an easy top 5 pick. They'd need to make a huge move to get Leinart, and Jacobs is the second best quarterback who could possibly come out this year.

A guy who can dominate a cornerback and get open is going to perform better than a guy who can outrun linebackers and safeties. No corner can cover him, but there are linebackers and safeties big enough and fast enough to.
    Anybody can stop him, WRs are covered by LBs and safeties all the time that stop guys like Mike Williams.

He couldn't be turned into a TE easily because he would NEED to put on 20-30 pounds just to get to a good enough weight to play TE and be able to match up in the blocking game.
    He'd probably haven't to put on around 10-15, to knock him up to 245. Really, he could be just a TE that goes out for a pass, and let another TE come in when they need some blocking. MIke Williams would be a good situational TE.

How do you not see how drafting 3 WRs was a mistake? They wasted at least one first rounder by adding DEPTH. They were not a good team, and they added DEPTH with their first rounder. That's a bad thing to be drafting with a top 15 pick.
    Three WRs give a good QB three targets to throw at. It creates mismatches across the field, and it'd be hard to cover. Millen has made some mistakes, but he's also done some good with the Lions.

Millen has been there since 2001 and he has shown no signs of turning the team around, and somehow he got a 5 year extension. He should be wiped out, the front office should be wiped out, there's no reason to keep them around when they're now in their 5th year of failing at producing a mediocre team.
    Mediocre team is an improvement over the lousy teams before Millen came in. Sanders was are only offense, and when he retired, our whole team was gone and we pretty much sucked. Millen made a rookie mistake in hiring Marty "I can't coach" Mohrniweg. Millen has done a great job, with mistakes here and there. The front office should stay, Mooch should stay, and Millen should stay.

MLB ERA
    There aren't lots of WRs and safeties out there who can cover a guy who weishg 230 and runs a 4.5 40.

So basically, when they were passing, Williams is in, and when they're not, he's out. Be a nice way to help the defense out, that's for sure.

Three WRs give a GOOD QB three targets to throw out. They haven't had a good QB in a few decades here and at the time of drafting Mike Williams, Harrington wasn't showing any promis.e Maybe he would be if Millen didn't make a bad pick and had instead taken Jammal Brown.

Under Millen, the Lions are 20-54. 27% wins. They barely win a fourth of their games. Why should Millen stay when that's his track record so far? why should Mooch stay when his track record is 35% wins?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    breaking news on espnnews, HE GAWN.

It was a mistake to draft another receiver, especially when Scotty Vines has been getting more attention than the "stud" first rounders. Plus they brought in Pollard. Mikey wasn't needed.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    solid move in dumping Mooch.

now to dump Millen and all will be well.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Who should the Lions hire during the offseason?

MLB ERA
    Hire me. Shit, I can at least outperform Mooch.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They didn't have to fire the tight end coach. That was odd.

Lions should hire SEan Salsibury. That would be freakin' sweet.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ron Jaworski > Sean Salisbury

I predict the trend of re-tred coaches will continue and the Lions will hire Dom Capers (when he gets fired by the Texans after the season). That seems fitting enough. Then Millen will somehow jedi-mindtrick the Texans out of the #1 pick by trading Charles Rogers, a #1, and someone else of value to them. Then they will get Leinart. The only problem with that is the Texans are probably going to go hard after Reggie Bush with the #1.

How about this... Mooch as Texans coach next season
    rf28

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Art Shell How come Matt Milen keeps his job?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    The only problem with that is the Texans are probably going to go hard after Reggie Bush with the #1.
    If Casserly knows what he's doing, there's not a chance of that happening with the Texans' O-line problems and the best group of O-line prospects in the draft for quite some time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast