Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Around the Horn (8/17)

MLB ERA
    No, Ankiel is another story of a pitcher who for whatever reason just lost it, but unlike Mark Wohlers never got it back. He is hitting .225 right now at AA, that wont cut it. I expect to hear he either gets cut or retire at the end of the year. Hes 26 not old, but hes not got a lot of options left. If this had worked, it would have been a great media deal but it has not and I think he even realizes that.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

A fair point you make.

Mission?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ankiel had pretty decent succes in A ball, but let's keep in mind that was A ball. I am willing to bet a few of the major league pitchers known for their hitting abilities could go to A ball and hit against those kids. Now since coming up to Double A, he's struggled. He's shown less power, he's strikeout to walk ratio has jumped not to mention his batting average has plummeted about .045 points. About the biggest thing he can ever hope for is developing into an ok bench player. It's just unrealistic to expect a 26 year old who is struggling against competition who is 3-5 years younger as a whole to rise through the minors and make an impact as a starting player and do it while he's young at that. Most players are supposed to be hitting their primes here, not trying to develop. A few years ago I may of bought the possiblity, but it's too late at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mission
    plummeted .045 points
    Dry water, anyone?

Point to Sly.

Next up..the Mets, who have lost Mike Cameron for the remainder of the season it seems and Beltran is pretty banged up himself, not to mention their woeful pen. So..will the Mets finish about .500 or below? Around thy Horn to Mission.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They're beaten, they're bruised and they're broken. Basically, it's over. The rest of this month really won't be so bad for the Mets but come September and they're going to fall on tough times. They have 4 against the rising Phillies (64-56) who are making a late season push for the wildcard. 6 against the Marlins (62-57) who have the pitching to make a game close with even strong offensive teams, let alone one that is so bruised like the Mets have right now. 6 against the first place Braves (68-51) who don't seem to let many teams stand in their way of making the playoffs, let alone the Mets. 6 against the Nationals (63-56) who are also very much in the wildcard race and could find second life in the final weeks. Not to mention 3 against the reigning league champs, the Cards (75-44) who like to beat up most teams as much as possible. Maybe they can win the two against the Rockies that month.

Pedro will be Pedro and dominate but the Mets won't. With the tough schedule, they're hope of keeping above .500 is dead.

You mean "their." But of course.

Slyder, what say you, for the win, eh?

MLB ERA
    They were beaten before. That pen of theirs stinks, many feel that Danny Graves was an IMPROVEMENT . Tom Glavine isnt Tom Glavine any more, Ishii has an ERA above 5.5, the Victor Zambrano deal is looking more and more like a joke with more and more egg on the whiz kid's face. The only pitcher they have that can turn anything around is Pedro but he cant go 9 innings every outing any more, so the pen will blow a few more Pedro starts. If they are anywhere within 8 games of 500 by season's end I will be surprised (10 game swing downward from where they are now).

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Ishii is the mop up guy now. Point to mission.

Finally...bottom of the 9th...1 outs..bases loaded...you're facing Luis Gonzalez of the D-Backs..it's 2001...who would you want in that situation? Any pitcher of all time. Around the Horn to Slyder.

MLB ERA
    I cant argue with who was in there in 2001. Mariano Rivera was the staple of many of the World Series runs and has shown he still is one of the best. He was the closer for 3 World Series wins, missed this one but for all the problems the Yankees have faced he remains the personafaction of a closer in the tough situation in MLB and among the best of now and all time.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Mission, for the win?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I saw the question and one name came to mind, Koufax. Let's put him out there in his prime though for the showdown. The 1965 version of Sandy Koufax, owner that season of 10.24 K/9, .179 opposing batters BA, with a 2.04 ERA all over 335.2 IP. Those kinds of stats, especially the first two, shows that he was just simply unhittable that year and dominated the league with stuff that they couldn't even comprehend. And the fact that he did that in the season when he pitched his most innings per one season.... oh man, give him one game with it on the line like that and he's got a near gurantee to be sitting Gonzo down on strikes.

And lets not forget that this same man in 1965 pitched a 3-hit, complete game shutout in game 7 of the World Series versus the Twins. And was a two time World Series MVP (1963, 1965.) He was both dominant and clutch in his career.

Point to Mission. Slyder, how did leaving Rivera work out for Torre?

Mission, the face time is all yours.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I just want to take this time to tell you all still in the dark, Ken Griffey Jr is back and for real. Too many people wanted to write him off after the injuries or the slow start this year. But what they didn't realize is that due to those injures and surgeries (one being pretty much untested and a risk) Jr. needed time to return to that premier player we all once remembered. And now, he's proving the haters wrong.

His numbers since May 1st (they do not include tonight's stats):
    Code:
     name     AB  R   H   2B  3B  HR  RBI BB  Ks  Ave  OBP  SLG  OPS
    Junior   339 67  102 21  0   27  73  37  60  .301 .370 .602 .972
    Yep, The Kid is back.

Thanks for playing everyone. Congrats to Mission on winning. We'll hopefully see you Friday...around the HORN!

*Paper Toss*

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456