Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Around the Horn (8/17)

Y'argh. The best by far. +++++

Next on my menu is Kerry Wood, who's stats as a RP are as follows: 7 IP, 1 H, 12 Ks.
    Buy Wood in the pen for good, ATL?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Works for me.

Better than having him as a career IR man, which is the only alternative I see.

Chicago has had all sorts of run ins with injury prone players the past 2 years. Rex Grossman, Chris Chandler.. Kerry Wood is just next on the list. Actually, any Dusty Baker pitcher who is young is next on that list. Career killer right there, people.

Chris Chandler? Pssht. +++

Husker.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    I'm selling. I haven't been in favor of him going to the bullpen since I've heard whispers about it several weeks ago. He's not going to be the next Curt Schilling nor Wood's team would ever contend in the Central. Cardinals...*snickers*. Dusty Baker should've let Wood take the rest of the year off and rest his injury and then go back in the rotation.

+++ Solid answer.

Mission?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sell. A healthy Kerry Wood will dominate ANYWHERE. It's clear to anyone who has seen him pitch over his career that this guy is a elite big league pitcher with strikeout stuff. But at the same time the Cubs really don't have a lightsout answer in to close a game. Dempster has been alright considering that the role is new to him and he really isn't all that much removed from surgery. But he has done the job as evident of his 17 saves and only 2 blown saves. Sure his control could use some work but he should continue to improve as he gets back to being 100% (which does take time after the surgery he had.) Not to mention Scott Williamson who could return to his former self with time and be dominant as a closer (a role he has had success with.) Even though the need could be there for Wood to close games out and there is a risk that he gets injured in a starting role, he's just too damn good to be stuck in the pen. He will have the risk of being injured no matter where he pitches and most teams would be lucky to have a starter like Kerry Wood, the Cubs have two others in Prior and Zambrano. With Wood joining that trio next season as a starter, if they make the proper offseason moves, their pitching can carry them. Play it safe with Wood this season, if the doc gives him the go, give him the chance to dominate as a starter.

A guy who has posted a 10.44 K/9 over his career as primarily a starter deserves the chance to start.

++++ Lets just call this "the Mission show", eh?

Sly, what say you?

MLB ERA
    Sell. Even with the injury concerns and Dusty's "Killer Instinct" with young pitchers, Wood should be in the rotation and knock out Sergio Mitre (5.66 ERA and 1.44 WHIP), Glendon Rusch (1.59 WHIP), Jerome Williams (4.72 ERA and 1.37 Whip). If the Cubs have any hope in making the improbable run for the playoffs they HAVE to start Prior, Wood, Zambrano, and Maddux the rest of the year.

Also the pen is a much different monster than starting. When Starting Wood can take as long as he chooses to warm up in the bullpen. In the pen you have to get ready in a hurry, which leads to more stress on the shoulder and could increase any problems Wood faces with his ailing shoulder.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

++++

Next up, Tiger Woods, who left the PGA Championship early because he thought he was out of contention. Buy or sell Woods leaving early..Husker.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    I'm selling. He should've stayed for the remainder of the tournament instead of leaving out of state to basically mope. It's better to finish it out rather than quitting and thinking about what Tiger could've done differently.

+++

Slyder?

MLB ERA
    I'll Buy there were 12 players still on the course not named Tiger Woods. Tiger would have needed 4 guys to have the wheels fall completely off in order for him to even be given a chance to make any such plans. So needless to say things werent looking good.

How many players not named Tiger Woods do you think left after they finished on Sunday? What was Tiger suppose to do waste another day when odds were so far stacked against him being tied for the lead at the end of the day. Get off his case and give him a break.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

++++

Atl?

The time limit has passed. You receive a mute.

Mission?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sell. Sell. Sell. Where is the competitive nature? I get sick of these kinds of attitudes from professional athletes. There was a chance, even if it was small. But even if that wasn't very realistic it's still a sad show, for him as a player, the fans who look up to him and hell, even his sponsors. Whatever happened to playing for respect? He might be tired of this shit but that doesn't excuse his defeatist attitude. Gut it out Tiger, even if it's just for your own image. This early exit really doesn't show off the fierce competitive attitude that most champions should always show.

And Slyder, I imagine other players did leave, but I doubt their name means as much as Tiger Woods does. He should stand above the pack and show why he is the best in the game, due to determination.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast