Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the Horn (8/5)

MLB ERA
    I'm going to have to Buy that sadly. Players who don't deserve to be questioned probably will be. I don't think either of the aforementioned players used Steroids at all, but now that the Palmeiro situation has come out, the whole lot of players will likely be questioned. Both Grace and Gwynn seem like good guys and don't seem like the type that would do Steroids...but that's why the Palmeiro issue is so huge. Many people were stunned when they found out Palmeiro had used Steroids, becauses he seemed like a nice guy and didn't seem like the type that would use them. Looks will be cast in directions they shouldn't be because of all of the recent developments. It's a sad but true tale.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

++++

Waruv?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I'll buy it as well, and it should, but not for the reason it will be. Cincy is absolutely correct in his statement and that's the reason it'll be sad. However, whether it is because of steroids, new parks, expansion, the Rockies, whatever, players are becoming more prolific on offense. Players like Fred McGriff who were simply very good players have almost 500 HRs. The standards for the HoF should be raised simply because it is easier to hit for power now, but they will be raised and worthy players will be questioned simply because of the McCarthian witchhunt for steroid users. I'll just say this, I can't wait until the day people have to vote for Bonds and a good 20% of the voters leave him off because he was on the roids in their opinion.

Basically, it will be remembered at the steroid era and the players will be punished for it unfairly.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

++++

Porter?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sell, I dont think it will completely tarnish the whole era. It will leave a cloud over it but in reality they know that guys like Grace, Gwynn, Boggs, Schmidt wont be considered to be taking steroids. These are among the people that earned their place in history. If a guy like Raffy, kills the whole era then you might as well call the Yankees on par with the D-Rays (which I dont personally believe). Its absurd. I cant buy it at all.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

+++

Mofo, what say you?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Buy. With Hall of Fame bound or borderline HOF sluggers such as Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Rafael Palmeiro, and Sammy Sosa known to have used or accused on using steroids, the last 2 decades have been nicknamed the steroid era. Sluggers like Lance Berkman have said they don't want fans to think his accomplishments mean nothing because most home run hitters are accused by fans or the media of using steroids. Remember when every fan was excited by the single season home run race between McGwire and Sosa that supposedly lifted baseball from the fan backlash to the strike of 1994? Now you can't find any serious baseball fan who doesn't question whether that was legit or not. And remember when only Bonds fans and Giants fans seem to think Bonds breaking McGwire's record was legit? Now not even McGwire's good guy character can save him from being buried in the steroid scandal. When Bonds' and McGwire's records are questioned, fans are even questioning Maris' 61 homers or Ruth's 60 homers. I would say the steroid era has tarnished the legacy of the past eras too.

So what you're saying is that baseball is completely tarnished? ++++

Next up, D-Lee, who has lost about 20 points in the BA lead, had lost the HR lead, and is losing big ground in the RBI lead. Buy Lee still winning the Triple Crown, Porter?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sell, Carlos Lee could still have more than D-Lee in the RBIs (Lee leads 90-86). D-Lee wasnt known to be a batting champ with the bat, Albert Pujols or Miguel Cabrera will catch him in BA. I think he wont wint any of them this season with the Red Hot Adam Dunn and Andrew Jones starting to hit baseballs like they were pieces of paper. Manny Ramirez will have a better chance than Derek Lee. Yes i know hes not hitting for average either (Manny).
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

--

It's Andruw.

Carlos Lee could still have more than D-Lee in the RBIs

That also makes no sense. Did you drop English in High-school? Bad choice. Lee leads 90-86? They're both named Lee, idiot.

Mofo, what say you?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sell. Derrek Lee is batting .286 in the 2nd half and he's losing 20 points in his batting average that he won't get back. Meanwhile, Miguel Cabrera's batting an insane .447 in the 2nd half and Pujols' batting a 1st-half Derrek Lee-like .360 in the 2nd half. Both players will catch up to Lee eventually if Lee's not hitting over .300 for the rest of the season. Miguel's only 3 points behind Lee! Lee is not the long-ball hitter that Dunn is and Dunn has already tied with Lee.

+++ Not to mention Andruw leading the majors in HRs.

CRF?

MLB ERA
    Sell. He is returning to career norms. and Adam Dunn has been hotter with the bat lately. Lee has hit one HR in the last 15 days.

Lee's career numbers vs. current numbers: (Career): .858 OPS(194 HR in 9 seasons)

(This year): 1.130 OPS(32 HR). He has about 1/6 of his career HR total at this point in the year. The 32 HR he has right now is tied with the most HR he has hit in those 9 seasons for an ENTIRE season. He is regressing a little bit toward the norm...just like most hitters do... and with hitters like Dunn/Andruw Jones(leading MLB in HR) hitting HR at the clip they are(and Pujols who is now up to 30 HR), the Triple Crown will probably be lost.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

++++ Very nice CRF.

Fisher, finish Buy or Sell please.

In poker, you consistantly lessen your chances for winning with more people in the pot. If Lee just had one adversary in each cat, I'd buy it. However, he has Pujols, Cabrera, Carlos Lee, Adam Dunn, Andruw Jones, among many other competiting in those three cats. Carlos Lee and Andruw Jones lead two of those competitions. He just has too many people in the pot to win each section without a string of luck, and I don't see it even with Nomar coming back. Sell.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast