Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Around the Horn (7/25)

Redsr?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    He does not get to start until he can prove that he is able to go for the long haul. Schilling has not had an ERA under 6.93 in any during his bullpen experience. Francona is doing the right thing in hopes that Schilling will be available to start for the playoff push. They will survive without him starting as they are good at thriving during tough times. Schilling out of the bullpen Sep. 10th against the Yanks on Fox!

Oooh..big stat Monday! Point to Redsrbetter.

Now..we talk about Golf. Tiger, Daly, Retief and Phil are teeing off this weekend, in the same tourny. This brings the question: who is America's fan favorite in Golf? Around the Horn to Redsr.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Who else? Tiger has always been the fan favorite. He has been coming on very strong of late, as his avg score for the year is 69.4. Compare that to Daly's 72.3, Mickelson's 69.7 and Woods has the edsge in numbers as well. I have to go with the fan favorite on this one as well and say that Tiger pulls this one off with his recent fire.

Drunken Master? You need the points!

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    this is easy. Americas fan favorite is John Daly, he is the only one that most or at least the average American can relate too. He has a drinking problem, a smoking problem, a weight problem, a gambling problem, not to mention he has beeen married 4 times, and pays $10,000 dollars a month in alimony to each of his three ex-wifes. He shows his flaws unlike that robot of a golfer Tiger Woods and the people come out in mass to watch him play. Tiger is always doing and saying the politically correct thing, and John Daly is himself out on the course, in the tent doing interviews and in his personal life. Daly isn't afraid to be himself, not to mention all of the stuck up aristocratic golfers that don't feel like a black man belongs in the game of golf. Daly wins on both accounts

People don't like Tiger Woods. They envy him. People cheer for Daly. very nice, Bipster, point to you.

Finally, since this is an all-Reds final, who is the best Reds player of all-time? Remember, big-stat Monday! Around the Horn to Redsr.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Not only was he the best Red ever, but he was one of the best hitters ever as well. Thsi goes to a clear and unbeatable winner in this category Mr. Pete Rose! Charlie Hustle had 4256 hits in his career and was one of the best players you would ever want to see as he made every part of the game exciting.

After his great playing days, he was not finished with the organization. He served as manager from 1985 to 1988, helping the Reds to 4 consecutive 2nd place finishes and was considered to be one of the best managers in baseball!

That gives him the "for love and pure ability of the game" title all the way. Pete Rose no doubt.

Bipstah, for the win (or loss).

MLB ERA
    Anybody is a moron if they don't say Pete Rose on this. Keeping in mind that you say all time best player in the Reds uniform and not all-time best person. Charlie Hustle holds so many records for both the Reds and the Majors. The list inludes a ML hits record of 4,256, a games played record of 3,562, an at bats record of 14,053, most singles 3,315, most total bases by a switch hitter (5,752), most seasons with 200 or more hits (10); most consecutive seasons with 100 or more hits (23); most seasons with 600 or more AB's (17); Most seasons of 150 games or more played (17); most seasons with 100 or more games played (23); ONLY player in history to play more than 500 games at 5 positions 1B (939) 2B (628) 3B (634) LF (671) RF (595); Major league record for playing in the most games won (1,972); All time NL record for most years and consecutive years played (24); all time NL record for most career runs (2,165) and doubles (746), and most games w/ 5+ hits (10). He holds the Modern National League era record for longest hit streak (44), and the most consecutive hitting streaks of 20+ games (7). More importantly Pete did this in front of his hometown team for 19 of those seasons, and we can ask Ken Griffey Jr how hard it is to play in front of your home town team, not to mention putting up those kind of numbers. Rose also was basically the last of a dying breed that actually didn't take the All-Star game
    as an exhibition......who could forget the day that he broke Ray Fosses' leg as he crashed into home plate to try and win an All-Star game for a few extra thousand dollars. He didn't do it for the money, he did it because he took pride in how to play the game, he epitomized giving 110%, and he did it because the fans wanted to see it. For the love of god Bud, you should put this man in the Hall of Fame....He was not only the greatest player to play for the Reds, but the Greatest player to play the game. He was the greatest because he didn't rely on his god-given talents but expanded upon them by sheer grit and hard work.

I think I just creamed a little. Bipster gets the point and the win. The moment is yours, rookie.

MLB ERA
    *derails the redsrbetter train yet again*

I would like to take this time to thank all of my fans that voted me into this spot in the limelight.....Oh wait, wrong speech.

The WNBA just doesn't get it, it was all set up....2 of their biggest stars going head to head (Lisa Leslie and Sheryl Swoopes), Leslie had just given a hard foul to Swoopes and Swoopes jawed back. As Swoopes was walking away, Lisa gave a 2 nice push to Sheryl. Sheryl let the gangster out in herself by going right back at Lisa only to get stopped by 2 other Sparks players. This Mega warfare ended with Lisa shaking Sheryls' hand and asking "are you alright?" I mean, seriously, if the WNBA really wanted to bring some fans to the stands they would have all out brawled and started a "real" rivalry. You guys know what I am talking about, the old school '80s Lakers-Celtics rivalry, or the Sixers-Celtics. This was no Dr J-Larry Bird fight, or Barkley-Laimbeer, or even Artest vs the World. The WNBA deserves to go away now, the basketball isn't more crisp then the ugly NBA, and it certainly isn't more athletic. It is just plain old boring. Thank you and good nigh..[Mute] You do realize you're talking about the WNBA..right? Redsrbetter, please take his place.-Gen

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks for having me as a guest on the show fellas! Bipster has me with the golf question. I can't say I did well on that one, I am lost as a goose in a snowstorm when it comes to that so-called sport. give me frisbee golf everyone! Next time, you are mine bip!

I'd like to take a minute and say that bull riding is a dangerous sport, poker is not a sport, and ATH is a tough one to compete in with guys like bipster to go against. Strike3forums delivers yet again with another big show! Great game everyone!

And that's going to do it folks..we're on a 46 1/2 hour break..we'll see you Wednesday at 8. Hooorn!

*Paper Toss*

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456