Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the Horn (7/25)

+++

Bipstah?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    I am selling this faster than a good thief finds his getaway car. Kerry Wood has been in the league for 7 years and has.... you got it 70 wins. So he will finish this season at what maybe 75 wins (if he is lucky). At this rate of winning he will have to be a freak-like Roger Clemens and be pitching great at the age of 41. Not to mention the fact that the Cubs are toying around with making Wood a closer. Now, I would certainly buy Wood saving around 200 games in his career as I think that his obvious pitching mechanic flaws would hold up better in one inning stints. As it stands though, the only thing I will buy now is 200 stints on the DL giving his motion of throwing across his body

++++ Very nice bipstah.

However..."faster than a good thief finds his getaway car"? I didn't ask for lame Woody-Page-esque references. I ask for STATS.

Reds, show them how it's done.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Buy. 28 years old with 70 wins tells me that he can do it. He is dominating when healthy, but it is a shame that this is the thing that is stopping him. Too many good players get held back from injuries. But, upon his return from the DL he will have a rehap in the minor leagues piching out of the bullpen. Then he will return to the Cubs and perform releiver duties for them as well. He will do it big in the bullpen as he has the stuff to get it done there, and the one inning outing will really help. Hopefully the Cubs organization does not fall in love with the idea too much. I think this could only help him and may give him the needed rest to get back on the starting track for next season.

++++

Domination.

Next item on sale: The New York Yankees. They lost 3 out of 4 to the Angels on the road. Buy or sell the Yanks in the playoffs. Around the Horn to Guybrush.

Rookie ERA
    Sell. Boston will probably win the East, Chicago the Central, and LA the west. Oakland is playing awesome and I doubt they wont win the Wild Card. I just dont think the Yankees pitching will be enough to get them to the playoffs.

+++

Redsr, buy or sell?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Sell. This is just wishful thinking, but the Yankees are due to fall off. America's most hated and loved baseball team is going to be chasing the BoSox for the rest of the season and the Orioles will get it done for the Wild card. Stand back New Yorkers because it is time to rethink the philosophy of most expensive team wins.

+++ And I agree on the last comment, wholeheartedly.

Ghetto, git'r done.

MLB ERA
    SELL-i've sold the yanks from day one. The NYY starters have an ERA of 5.02. BAA of .293, 1.44 WHIP and a record of 37-35. Not to mention using 7 or 8 or however many different starting pitchers this year...and its not even AUGUST!

MR's have an ERA of 4.11, BAA of .255 and a WHIP of 1.34

Why these stats? when your Bullpen outduel your starters you have a problem.

They've got a very potent offense, but i mean you could be ranked in the top five in almost every offensive catagory, but never reach the playoffs. (see:Cincinnati Reds)
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

++++ Very nice.

Around the Horn to Bipster.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    STATS, you want stats. This must be a question for N'Sync, cause its Buy, Buy, Buy. The Yanks will make it in the playoffs one way or another. They are only 1.5 GB in the division and only .5 GB in the wild card. The A's have had Zito and Harden pitching lights out for over a month that won't last. The Twins don't have the money to take on much at the trade deadline and mark my words "The Boss" will make something happen. His team will acquire a CF to help usher the Bernie Williams era out the door, and he will acquire a starting pitcher at the deadline. Randy Johnson will start to trend back to the "old big unit" as his stats. He has an era of 4.18 this year, his career era is 3.11. Outside of 2 years ago when he had back problems that kept him out of half the year the last time his season era was that high was all the way back in 1989 and that was before his famed talk with Nolan Ryan. Carl Pavano, will come back this weekend and start racking up some wins, why you ask.....Offense. The Yankees are scoring more runs, they started that tear about a week and a half before the all star break to get their avg runs per game up to 5.5 Since the allstar break it has been fill in pitcher after fill in pitcher, I mean who really knew that Aaron Small (a 33 year old basically career minor leaguer) was here to save the ship. Kevin Brown will be back and with the addition of Al Leiter (who has a track record of performing in big games, despite his current stats) it is better than any other team can produce as far as Trade Deadline maneuvers.

++++ and an N'Sync lame bonus. That was so bad, it was good +.

Next topic: Lance Armstrong, who ended his career in style yesterday, winning his 7th straight Tour de France. Buy or sell Lance as the greatest dynasty in sports history. Around the Horn to Redsrbetter.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Sell. It is too hard to try and say that one guy can be the greatest franchise. Although he has created a miracle that others should not be able to follow, and he has done it all after battling cancer, he just does not make it as the best franchise. A franchise has to be just as dominating, but I distinguish it more as a team and organization coming together to make it to this type of recognition. Give the Boston Celtics of the 80s and possibly the New England Patriots could be in that same category before long. But not one man.

How about the Yanks of the nineties? Or the Yanks overall? ++++

Ghetto?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast