Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCU in the Final Four!!?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

VCU in the Final Four!!?

I said they would beat USC and Georgetown to revenge the doubters, but come on, Final Four? I thought no team since 1999 has reached the Final Four with a defensive efficiency ranking outside 25? VCU was ranked number 143 entering the tournament! ARRGH!!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: VCU in the Final Four!!?

Their defense seems to be pretty damn good.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Through five games, their D jumped from 143rd in the country to 88th. I know it makes for a great story and all, but this is maddening if you're like me in that you rely on consistency in stats that correlate with tournament success from year to year when filling out your brackets.

Rookie ERA

VCU is fun to watch. But I think their run stops here.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

MLB ERA

that's funny because a Kansas player said the exact same thing to one of the VCU players in pregame warmups.

AAA ERA

It's a crazy time for college basketball, we haven't seen a great team since the '09 Heels and a great FF since the '08 FF where 4 legit great teams made the FF. We will have another mid major playing for the nat'l Title and I hope they win.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    It's a crazy time for college basketball, we haven't seen a great team since the '09 Heels
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 03-31-2011 at 05:12 PM.

AAA ERA

duke '10 was far from a great team, they were a good team that benefitted from one of the easiest roads to a title we have ever seen. '09 Carolina would have beaten that team by 25.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If West Virginia and Butler were such easy opponents in your mind, then what does that say about those higher seeded teams that lost to them respectively along the way, namely, Kentucky and Syracuse?

An easy road to the Final Four is more like going through Illinois, Richmond, and VCU, yet even Kansas managed to drop the ball.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    If West Virginia and Butler were such easy opponents in your mind, then what does that say about those higher seeded teams that lost to them respectively along the way, namely, Kentucky and Syracuse?

An easy road to the Final Four is more like going through Illinois, Richmond, and VCU, yet even Kansas managed to drop the ball.
    CBB is very down, there are not any great teams. SU lost a key player for the Tourney, UK was all freshman. duke played one legit tough team(Baylor) and they got the typical duke calls to help them out w/ those BSD charge/block calls- basically how it works is if a duke player runs over an opponent it is a block but if an opponent knocks over a duke player it is a charge.

Purdue lost their best player right before the Tourney, WVU lost one of their best players in the Tourney and they played a mid major for a nat'l Title. duke '10 was one of the worst title teams in the history of the modern game. Maybe only SU '03 is int he same ballpark but it's better to be the worst champion than the best loser.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No bias against Duke there

AAA ERA

I'm sure there is but I try to remove that when discussing the teams after the fact. Sometimes emotions run high while the games are being played but a year later we can look back and know that was far from a great team. I despise duke but I still think Christian Laettner is the best college player I have ever seen so I can be unbiased when I need to be.

The '10 duke team was a good team, nothing more. They benefitted from a down year in CBB and from a creampuff bracket to get to the FF where once there they faced a team missing one of their best players who just got hurt then a mid major for the title.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'll give you that it was a down year for CBB, but I really don't see how '10 Duke had any more of a creampuff bracket than the other teams in the Final Four. Duke was the only FF team which didn't face a lower-seeded team throughout the tourney.

And your bias clearly shows when you accuse the refs of fixing games for Duke, but when Carolina lost to George Mason, your excuse is that George Mason got away with hacking Tyler Hansbrough throughout the game.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    I'll give you that it was a down year for CBB, but I really don't see how '10 Duke had any more of a creampuff bracket than the other teams in the Final Four. Duke was the only FF team which didn't face a lower-seeded team throughout the tourney.

And your bias clearly shows when you accuse the refs of fixing games for Duke, but when Carolina lost to George Mason, your excuse is that George Mason got away with hacking Tyler Hansbrough throughout the game.
    Tyler was a guy that lived on the FT line, he attacked the basket and drew fouls. In that GM game in 2006(it's funny that you remember that) GM shot 19 FTs compared to just 4 for Carolina and Tyler shot ZERO. I think there was one or two other times in his career that he didn't attempt a FT(one of those games at duke). That team was very young, they weren't going to a FF that year anyway even had they won that game.

I didn't say the refs fixed games for duke but they sure made it easier as the lone tough team they played in that Tourney had a game turn on one of those awful duke "charges" where the duke player clearly did not have position which should have been a blocking foul and they change momentum of the game w/ one awful call.

AAA ERA

VCU has had a great run, but I think Butler ends it. And keep in mind I thought that Kansas would end it too. It was a rather disappointing tourney for me because my team got knocked out in the first round by Morehead. Looks like I'm gonna have to pull for a fellow Big East team now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast