Thread: I did my first track day!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Excited I did my first track day! and track school!!!

I know of at least one other motorcycle enthusiast on the board so I thought I'd post this up on here, and for everyone else to see on of my most favorite things to do...ride a motorcycle!

I participated in Zalusky's Advanced Riding School at Dakota County Tech College's driving range on 7 Aug. This was my first time doing a track day, so obviously I registered for the first timer's instruction. Our first 2 sessions were in the rain, next 2 were in a wet/partially dry track, and the final 3 (or 4, I don't remember) were on bone dry hot surface. I was riding my 2002 race prepped SV650 on Michelin PowerOne tires (scrubbed them in while out in the rain). I had the time of my life. I progressed so much in that one day, it blew my mind.

Here's the course we rode (forgive the Google Maps winter satellite photo)

And some shots of me

Last edited by henks; 09-08-2010 at 11:55 PM.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Re: I did my first track day!

Damn son, those things are terrifying.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Road America is calling your name. I can tell now that you got the itch for on track action.
    How'd the SV650 ride? I've heard that they are a great "starter" bike, and I now that the AMA once had a series for them. Here in Canada the National Superbike Series runs a series for the SV, and a bunch of other twins that get the younger riders from 125's and get them onto a little bit of a bigger bike.

Also, major props. Something I would only dream of.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The racing organization here in MN (Central Roadracing Assoc) races at Brainerd International Raceway May through Sept each year...and my aspirations are to get my race license with them next year. I joined NESBA through their military appreciation program just to be able to ride at RA.

The SV rode pretty rough because the suspension was set super stiff. We got the rear shock softened up quite a bit, and it was a noticeable difference. I have to get the forks resprung because there is no preload adjustment on them. But other than that, it's a freaking monster. Loads of grunt, and it flicked fairly easily.

It was so much fun, I have video too, and once I get some time to upload it, I'll post it on here.
    -Chris

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I forgot about Brainerd. The blast down the drag strip into the first turn is pretty hair raising if I remember right.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

They actually have added a short course so they can have multiple event weekends.

But yeah, I know some guys who ride liter bikes that say tipping into T1 at 180 is pretty freakin bananas. Good thing my SV doesn't go that fast lol.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

That looks like fun. I've been by the track in Brainerd, but never inside it. Paul Newman used to race there.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    That looks like fun. I've been by the track in Brainerd, but never inside it. Paul Newman used to race there.
    He actually won his first race there.
    -Chris

MLB ERA
    Crazy bro.. Crazy. Looks awesome though dude. Have you always loved bikes or has it just been a recent thing?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston View Post
    Crazy bro.. Crazy. Looks awesome though dude. Have you always loved bikes or has it just been a recent thing?
    I got my first bike back in 2007, which is my Yamaha YZF600R. Around that same time I picked up a Honda CRF50F, which I proceeded to mod out quite a bit. In the fall of 2009 I bought my racebike, and Saturday was actually the first time I had ever ridden it.
    -Chris

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    He actually won his first race there.
    One of the reasons Paul Newman is "the man". He won a bunch of races in various SCCA class'.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    One of the reasons Paul Newman is "the man". He won a bunch of races in various SCCA class'.
    Yeah he was quite the racer back in the day. Kinda crazy to think that on 6 Sept I'll be riding my motorcycle on the same track as Paul Newman, Scott Russell, Mat Mladin, and so many other important figures in the racing community. Going to be a joyous time.
    -Chris

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ok, so I just did my first Track School at Brainerd International Raceway on their Competition Course (short course). Got about 10 pics of me, but this one is probably my favorite.

-Chris