Thread: Hughes to Cleveland

Hughes to Cleveland

Link

Really like this deal. Hughes can play defense and offense and his overall contribution will be great to the Cavs. It improves LJ's cast around him.

MLB ERA
    Way too much money. Not even a good fit. LeBron needed a shooter to be his side-kick, not a slasher who likes to create. I really only see him averaging 15 or so points, and don't expect his assist numbers to be that high either. His defense is overrated anyway, he gets into passing lanes well because he is so quick, but he is not that good of an on the ball defender.

AA ERA
    Agree with MF87. WAYYY too much money. Redd would have been a MUCH better fit.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

No doubt Redd or Allen would've been a better fit. Redd and Allen passed on Cavs. Hughes was the next best choice for them.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by GoYankees
    No doubt Redd or Allen would've been a better fit. Redd and Allen passed on Cavs. Hughes was the next best choice for them.
    Actually, the best choice all along should've been Joe Johnson. He is every bit as athletic as Larry Hughes, plays better overall defense than him, and he is the youngest of the four wing guys who are considered the premiere free agents. He handles the ball the best of the four, and while he may not be the pure shooter that Redd or Allen is, you could argue that he is every bit as good of a shooter as them. I was talking to ATLien about him today and while I don't think he can carry the scoring load of a team he is about as good of a number two guy as there is out there right now.

MLB ERA
    I rate them as

Top five FA wings:
    1. Ray Allen
    2. Joe Johnson
    3. Michael Redd
    4. Larry Hughes
    5. Bobby Simmons

Cleveland can still get their shooter, though. They still have the cap room to get their center and a shooter, so I'm not too worried for them. They can get Damon Jones or Sarunas Jasikevicius, and still re-sign Zydrunas Ilgauskas (or go after another center). Ray Allen is obviously the best of the bunch, hands down. Michael Redd is very over-rated. He is one dimensional, does not bring as many skills to the table as a player like Joe Johnson does. Mariner87 is right, Hughes' defense is very over-rated. He gambles alot, just as LeBron does, which means that team is going to give up a ton of easy baskets. I felt Bobby Simmons would have been a better signing for the Cavs, as he would come cheaper than Hughes and compliments LeBron better. They still would have needed a shooter, though. Damon Jones would be an ideal signing for them.

It's also looking like Atlanta is going to give Joe Johnson the max, I'm not sure whether Phoenix will match it or not. As an Atlanta fan, I sure hope they don't. The idea of Joe Johnson running the point with Josh Smith and Marvin Williams on the wing is salivating.

MLB ERA
    1. Joe Johnson
    2. Ray Allen
    3. Michael Redd
    4. Bobby Simmons
    5. Larry Hughes

That is in terms of who I thought the Cavs should've gone after.

I told you earlier that I prefered Redd because of his age over Allen ATLien, but I didn't realize that Ray was still only 29. I've always been a huge fan of JJ, ever since his days at Arkansas. He'd give the Hawks a solid 18/6/5 from the point guard spot if they decided to start him there, don't know if that is worth the max, but JJ, Marvin, Smith, and Childress would be a solid foundation. Although you have to wonder where the rebounds are going to come from.

MLB ERA
    Remember, coming out of Arkansas, Joe Johnson was compared to Penny Hardaway. He is 24 years old, and a rising star. If I was a team like New Orleans, Cleveland, or Atlanta, I would definately offer him the max. However, if you are Phoenix.. don't think that is such a good idea. They would have almost $60 million tied up in four players!

AAA ERA
    i like the cavs getting hughes but you all are right...prob a lil to much money involved.

AA ERA
    At least, the Cavs filled a need. It was better than nothing after Allen and Reed decided to stay with their original team than signing with Cleveland.

MLB ERA
    Bobby Simmons is signing with Milwaukee, by the way.

PG TJ Ford
    SG Michael Redd
    SF Bobby Simmons
    PF Joe Smith
    C Andrew Bogut
    6th man Desmond Mason
    Bench Dan Gadzuric, Maurice Williams, Jiri Welsch

That team should make the playoffs, as long as TJ Ford stays healthy with is a big if. If they can re-sign Gadzuric, I really like their team alot more because he is a guy who goes full out.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think Hughes is a better player than Redd, but it could end up being Ricky Davis all over again. But I don't know... Cavs really need another guy to step up and take control if Lebron is having a bad night or is being smothered by 3/5ths of the opposing defense.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Central division is nasty.

1. Indiana
    2. Detroit
    3. Milwaukee
    4. Cleveland
    5. Chicago

You know Indiana will probably get 60+ wins, Detroit 50+, and the last three are all potential 45+ game winners. Every single team has playoff aspirations, even though I feel Chicago is gonna be the odd team out with so much depth in the East.