Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Tourney Thread

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: NCAA Tourney Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post

And looking at MSU, they don't burn you with the 3, they are a driving team much like Dayton who Kansas controlled for 40 min. And Louisville is avery similar team to MSU/Dayton, except for a slightly better post presence in Samuels. The team most likely to stop KU would be Arizona cause they have the 3 point shooters to neutralize the pound inside game of KU
    Plus they have one of the best players in the tourney in Terrance Williams.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    This is what drives me nuts. The ACC is terrible this tourney and all of a sudden it erases decades of being the best conference in most years, the BE is always a disappointment in the Tourney but one good first weekend and that erases the last 20 years.

The ACC hasn't been the same since expansion a few years ago but it's still a top conference despite what happened last weekend.
    Just because UNC and Duke have been "good" doesn't mean the ACC as a conference is good. And since 1989(20 years as you said) ACC has won 6 Championships, 5 of them combined by Duke and UNC, the other by Maryland in 02.

Another interesting fact, NC St is the only other team besides the 3 teams on top I have mentioned who have won a NCAA championship from the ACC.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    nyjunc, I'm done with this argument with you. You're wrong and everyone knows it at this point. Read this article, because the writer gives more information to back the Big East's claim than you can ever make up to support yours:

What we learned in the first two rounds - College Sports - News & Observer
    Wrong about what? I concede after what the BE did that they are better this year but you guys are acting like you've done something. 5 Sweet 16 teams are nice but the BE's problem has always been getting teams in the Final Four and they still have work to do there.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Big East set a record with Sweet 16 teams. It is already time to eat crow.

The ACC did terrible so it erases all that stupid ****ign debating on your part, not years of being the best conference. The debates were about this year. The past had zero to do with it. The Big East was the best for a reason, better teams.
    The BE has done a nice job but that "record" isn't really something to go crazy over. The ACC has sent 4 multiple times and did that w/ 9 total teams. 4 of 9 is alot better than 5 of 16.

I tip my cap, the BE has played really well so far(Pitt and UL haven't but they have won) and the ACC was a disgrace as a conf.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    Just because UNC and Duke have been "good" doesn't mean the ACC as a conference is good. And since 1989(20 years as you said) ACC has won 6 Championships, 5 of them combined by Duke and UNC, the other by Maryland in 02.

Another interesting fact, NC St is the only other team besides the 3 teams on top I have mentioned who have won a NCAA championship from the ACC.
    So we take a away the 2 best ACC teams, can we do that w/ the BE? If we took away SU and UConn the BE would have 2 total FFs since 1989 and ZERO Championships, the ACC still would have 4 FFs and 1 Championship.

You want to compare this decade, since the 90s, since the 80s- it doesn't matter, the ACC always comes out comfortably on top. Historically there is not a debate, it's not close, the BE isn't even the 2nd best conf over the last 30 years. This year the BE has it but let's see what they do this weekend. The BE NEEDs AT LEAST 2 teams in the FF, anything less will be a colossal failure.

MLB ERA

Umm, Historically? You mean SYRACUSE, GEORGETOWN, VILLANOVA, MARQUETTE, and UCONN who have combined for 6 National Championships since 1977. UNC, DUKE, Maryland, NC STATE have combined for 8. The way I see things you may have more championships, but deeper, more competitive, and more DIFFERENT champions goes to the Big East. Syracuse, Georgetown, Nova used to be some of the best battles in college basketball, used to match up almost every year in the BE Tourney. I just don't see how you can argue the BE isn't historically great.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Why the **** does this have to be a history lesson?? None of this has anything to do with this year!! The Big East has done a great job this year and have shown they were the best conference in the land. That's why I quit arguing because I knew I would have the last laugh and I have.

AAA ERA

Umm, Historically? You mean SYRACUSE, GEORGETOWN, VILLANOVA, MARQUETTE, and UCONN who have combined for 6 National Championships since 1977. UNC, DUKE, Maryland, NC STATE have combined for 8. The way I see things you may have more championships, but deeper, more competitive, and more DIFFERENT champions goes to the Big East. Syracuse, Georgetown, Nova used to be some of the best battles in college basketball, used to match up almost every year in the BE Tourney. I just don't see how you can argue the BE isn't historically great.
    So the Big East gets credit for Championships Marquette, Cincy and Ul had long before they were in the Big East?

As members of the conference deeper certainly goes to the ACC both currently and all time. Currently the bottom half of the BE is a complete joke, it's the complete opposite of the tom half.

SU, GU and 'Nova? Replace 'Nova w/ SJU and you are right they were some great battles and still none compare to Carolina-duke and through the years Carolina and duke vs. MD, UVa, NCSU, Ga tech, Wake have been some of the b est battles in the sport. The BE was great in the 1980s, it hasn't been great since. It's looking like nthey were great this year but they still have work to do, the ACC was consistently great for decades until expansion ruined the ACC. The ACC had a great reg season but an awful postseason so overall the year wasn't great which is alot like the BE in a normal year.

As far as arguing the BE being historically great.

-The conference has FIVE Final Fours apps since 1990, that's a pretty easy argument. Even if the BE did the unthinkable this year nad placed 4 teams in the FF that would increase this decades total to 7, the ACC already has 8 and if they had all 4 obviously they'd win the title so the total for the BE would be 7 FFs and 3 titles while the ACC already has 8 FFs and 3 titles so the ACC wins AGAIN.

A couple of interesting notes. Since 1980:

-only 7 seasons has a final four been played w/o at least 1 ACC team.
    -20 seasons have been played w/o at least 1 BE team.
    -The longest drought of missing FFs for the ACC has been 2 years(-'06-'07)
    -The longest drought for the BE has been 6 years('90-'95)
    -The longest streak of consecutive FFs made by the ACC is 8('88-'95)
    -The longest streak of consecutive FFs made by the BE is 2('84-'85 and '03-'04). By the way the ACC's 2nd longest streak is 6('97-'02), 3rd longtest is 4('81-'84)
    -5 times the ACC has sent multiple teams to the FF('81, '90, '91, '01, '04)
    -2 times the BE has sent multiple teams to the FF('85, '87)

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Why the **** does this have to be a history lesson?? None of this has anything to do with this year!! The Big East has done a great job this year and have shown they were the best conference in the land. That's why I quit arguing because I knew I would have the last laugh and I have.
    A misinformed poster said the ACC is always overhyped which couldn't be more wrong. Had he said the BE he would have been right. it's good to see they are finally living up to the hype they have never deserved before. Now let's see if they can finish the job.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

why should the BE get credit for a FF by a team not in its conference when it won?
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dumb ****ing arguments guys!! None of this has anything to do with the Big East being the best conference this year!

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    why should the BE get credit for a FF by a team not in its conference when it won?
    You're right about Marquette, completely spaced my mind that they switched into the BE. But the point remains that the Big East was significantly better this year and has just as much history as the ACC, because yes, the ACC may have more FF's and Championships, but the ACC was founded 26 years earlier....

Not to mention the ACC founded in 1953 with 12 teams, the Big East was founded in 1979 with 7 teams....and didn't hit 12 until like 1990.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Missouri beats Memphis and Villanova beats Duke I still have my Final Four teams, do you?

MLB ERA

I do. I had Duke losing to Texas in the 2nd round, and I had Memphis losing to Mizzou. My bracket is SWEET this year. I know I just jinxed it, but I had 13 of the Sweet 16 and so far 4/4 in the Elite 8.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

**** Purdue and Missouri.

Hell **** everyone left.

Including Gonzaga.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Hey Porter, can the winner of the S3F bracket group get some $$?

.....I wish.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

My bracket looks a lot worse than last year. I think I finished third in the S3F bracket but this year I still have my top teams. Wake Forest and Florida St screwed me.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hey Porter, can the winner of the S3F bracket group get some $$?

.....I wish.
    I could still win if Pitt wins it all lol.

**** It.

Go Cuse blow out Oklahoma. (Hell is freezing over)
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast