Thread: One of the Many Reasons Why I Don't Buy Young and Stupid...AROD

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

One of the Many Reasons Why I Don't Buy Young and Stupid...AROD

ESPN Team's gesture supports grieving opponent -ESPN Rise BOYSBASKETBALL

These guys were 7 years younger than you were and made the right decision. A guy lost his mother to cancer and played in the game after. Since he wasn't on the official score sheet, its a technical foul. The opposing team didn't want that to happen but the refs had to make that decision. So their senior point guard, rolled the ball on both shots. He said because it was the right thing to do. It was on Mike and Mike this morning.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Re: One of the Many Reasons Why I Don't Buy Young and Stupid...AROD

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    ESPN Team's gesture supports grieving opponent -ESPN Rise BOYSBASKETBALL

These guys were 7 years younger than you were and made the right decision. A guy lost his mother to cancer and played in the game after. Since he wasn't on the official score sheet, its a technical foul. The opposing team didn't want that to happen but the refs had to make that decision. So their senior point guard, rolled the ball on both shots. He said because it was the right thing to do. It was on Mike and Mike this morning.
    Alright, let's slow down for a second. I'm not commenting on A-Rod right now, but these are two completely different situations. The kind of situation Rodriguez got himself into (new city, pressure from money, chasing history, etc.) was a very complex one that involves many different factors that he had to weigh. Whether or not to use certain types of substances was a personal decision that had to be based on his own personal beliefs and goals.

The situation in the basketball game cannot be connected to Alex Rodriguez's scenario in any way. There were no personal beliefs or long-term goals or effects to consider. It was an outstanding decision by the coach and the player to miss the free throws, but it was a pretty simple case to consider.

I don't see a parallel.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah but using the young and naive angle of his mistakes was lame.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

The only reason Young and stupid works is because we as a society allow it. We chalk things up as underage drinking, and illegal drugs and people being young and stupid. If we as a society were to hold young people to the same high standard that society calls for as we grow older then this wouldn't happen.

People will accept A'Rod excuse of young and stupid. If you do that, then you are letting the stereotype live on. Only if we hold people accountable for there actions and not allow young and stupid to be an excuse will we become a better society
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

I don't know. I mean, just looking at it and the way statements like that are thrown around, it does appear pretty lame. But when I really think about it, I'm sure that being young and naive actually did have an impact on his decision to use those substances. Had he been older, wiser, more experienced, maybe he makes a different decision. Or maybe not, but I can't say it was an untrue response, even if it was a cop out to shift away some responsibility.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

there are plenty of young and stupid people out there. generally young and naive do go together. and young dumb and athlete are three words that go together as well. There are exceptions but they certainly arent the rule, especially amongst the professional ranks.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Problem is Arod wasn;t young when he says he took steroids. He was 26 years old!!! Can't use that line anymore. He was an adult and he knew damn well what he was doiing and that was cheating. He was completely full of shit yesterday!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

...what the **** does this have to do with A Rod?
    Nothing!

This is a good story. That's great. It has no ****ing correlation whatsoever.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.