View Poll Results: Are the final BCS poll rankings right?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they finally got it right.

1 10.00%
  • Nope, BCS gets another F

8 80.00%
  • Who cares, I'm glad college football is over.

1 10.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Final BCS rankings: What's your take?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Final BCS rankings: What's your take?

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Think about it. Florida beat Alabama when Alabama had a championship berth at stake. Utah beat Alabama when Alabama had the consolation Sugar Bowl at stake. No wonder the former game was a tighter game than the latter game.
    Alabama lost a virtual home game to Utah. No Excuses.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    Utah beat Oregon St. who beat USC.
    USC blasted Penn St who beat Oregon St.

And while they were at it blasted Ohio St.

Really, Florida is a great team dont get me wrong but I think USC, Utah, Texas could all play them very well and win. Oklahoma couldn't beat Texas on a Neutral Field.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ok, maybe not a doormat like Washington or Washington State, but a best ranking of #21? Congrats, Mike Riley, that was better than any of your team's rankings during your years with the Chargers!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ok, maybe not a doormat like Washington or Washington State, but a best ranking of #21? Congrats, Mike Riley, that was better than any of your team's rankings during your years with the Chargers!
    As bad as UW has been the last 6 years they still been to more Rose Bowls than everyone but USC in the Pac-10.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    USC has played the most times in the Rose Bowl, with 33 appearances, followed by Michigan (20), Washington (14), and Ohio State (13). Alabama, 4-1-1 in Rose Bowls, has made the most appearances of any team outside the Pac-10 and Big Ten conferences, and even references the game in its fight song.

USC has won the most Rose Bowls (24), followed by Michigan (8), Washington (7), and Ohio State (6). Michigan has lost the most (12), followed by USC (9), UCLA and Ohio State (7 each). Of teams appearing at the Rose Bowl at least 4 times, Michigan St. has the greatest winning percentage (0.75), followed by USC (0.73), Alabama (0.67), and Illinois (0.60).
    So are the Huskies a perennial doormat? or could it be the fact they are in a major 6 year slump.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    Alabama lost a virtual home game to Utah. No Excuses.
    I'll repeat: home field advantage is overrated, especially in a venue isolated from the weather. It's such utter bullshit that a home crowd has the ability to will their team to victory. Alabama lost because without Andre Smith they were a worse team than Utah.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

As bad as UW has been the last 6 years they still been to more Rose Bowls than everyone but USC in the Pac-10.

So are the Huskies a perennial doormat? or could it be the fact they are in a major 6 year slump.
    If the Oakland Raiders can be considered a perennial doormat in the last 6 years, yes, the Huskies are a doormat.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

No that team is the paper towel that gets thrown away and sent to the dump.

Who's been through more changes, Niners OC's or Husky HC's

MLB ERA

I'll repeat: home field advantage is overrated, especially in a venue isolated from the weather. It's such utter bullshit that a home crowd has the ability to will their team to victory. Alabama lost because without Andre Smith they were a worse team than Utah.
    If that's true than why does it happen that almost every team does better at home? Why do teams have ridiculous home winning streaks, and rarely do you hear about road streaks? Because Home Field Advantage is real...even if it's difficult to calculate.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So its easier to get people to support Bama's team in the damn Sugar Bowl or get people to root for Utah?

And as shorty said, if thats the case why does teams play a lot better at "home" than the road.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So its easier to get people to support Bama's team in the damn Sugar Bowl or get people to root for Utah?

And as shorty said, if thats the case why does teams play a lot better at "home" than the road.
    It's just getting people to watch a ******* football game. They're not the ones on the field or on the sidelines affecting on the outcome of the game. Maybe the referees tip a few key calls in favor of the home team, but that's it. I heckling Brandon Webb by shouting out to him that his wife is fat isn't going to get his sinker to not sink.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    If that's true than why does it happen that almost every team does better at home?
    Some football venues do have a weather advantage for the home team, especially in the North states who play outdoors in November and December. Even so, there's been a "disturbing" trend such that the AFC and NFC championship games were won by 1 home team and 1 road team, outside of the year Indy and Chicago both won at home. Perhaps the weaker teams can muster enough morale to chip away at the better teams' road record during the regular season, but talent usually wins out in the postseason.

Why do teams have ridiculous home winning streaks, and rarely do you hear about road streaks? Because Home Field Advantage is real...even if it's difficult to calculate.
    I don't know why, but note that 1 loss ends your winning streak. So winning 4 road games out of 5 with the loss in the middle wouldn't count as a road streak, even though it was a successful road trip.

MLB ERA

My point was more (and I know my examples are different sports, but they're the first ones that come to mind) like Notre Dame or BYU in Basketball. It's not even an outdoor sport, so weather doesn't factor in. Yet, ND and BYU have home winning streaks of like 30 and 50 respectively(or at least they did last time I checked). So, basically, I just took out your weather excuse and still proved that homefield advantage can exist. I can't think of a football example, but maybe someone else can?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123