Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach Jags fired for interviewing with Jets

MLB ERA

NCAA Coach Jags fired for interviewing with Jets

Jeff Jagodinski fired by Boston College Eagles - ESPN

I agree with BC to fire him. If you are going to interview before you committed to when you signed the contract (He promised Gene 3 years), and then you go behind the AD and do it anyways. I think Gene would have understood if he had been told about it but he fact Jags did it behind the AD's back does it to me.

You have to be loyal to your contracts and in an age where that isn't the norm I'm glad that an institution said if you break your trust in us, we don't want you.

I think BC recruits want loyalty in the coaches just like the coaches want you to be loyal for the program. It might be a small back-step today but a big step foward for the future
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Re: Coach Jags fired for interviewing with Jets

BC is nothing more than a stepping stone school. It shouldnt be surprised when coaches want to move on from that school.

and its not like he was interviewing for another college team. If that was the case, I would understand their POV, but since he interviewed for a NFL gig, thats a completely different story.

that AD needs to get with the program. by drawing the line in the sand like he did, he made sure he wasnt going to get a top notch up and coming coach.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    Jeff Jagodinski fired by Boston College Eagles - ESPN

I agree with BC to fire him. If you are going to interview before you committed to when you signed the contract (He promised Gene 3 years), and then you go behind the AD and do it anyways. I think Gene would have understood if he had been told about it but he fact Jags did it behind the AD's back does it to me.

You have to be loyal to your contracts and in an age where that isn't the norm I'm glad that an institution said if you break your trust in us, we don't want you.

I think BC recruits want loyalty in the coaches just like the coaches want you to be loyal for the program. It might be a small back-step today but a big step foward for the future

Its a business. Would BC had shown loyalty to him if he went 7-20 the past two years instead of being in the ACC championship game? No, theres so much money involved in collegiant sports that it makes me sick to hear all this talk of loyalty like its some higher ground when if the tables were turned the school wouldnt think twice about firing a coach unless theyve been there forever like a JoPa or Bobby Bowden. Heck Auburn fired a guy that won a national championship for going 5-7 one year... wheres the loyalty there?

Or Alabama firing the coach because he went from 10 or 11 wins to 500. Wheres the loyalty there? Coaches like people in everyday world are going to do what they feel is best for their families and them. The era of coaches staying at 1 place for life forever is over. Not saying its right or I agree with it but its a business and always will be as long as collegiant sports is the multi billion dollar enterprise it is.

"oh it was an unwritten agreement" well to BC I say grow up, shut up, and learn from it. Get it in writing.

BC (and DiFillipi in particular) is the last administration I want to hear cryin about "loyalty" after the stunts they pulled.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

The key is and I hope you understand this, is that he broke every rule in the book by not telling the AD BEFORE scheduling the interview. If he had done that I think the ending is much different

And BC pulled no stunts. They removed themselves following the proper league procedure. The courts ruled they only had to pay 1 million instead of 5 million. Beyond that they executed their right to leave and switch conferences just like any school has
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

All I have to say is this. For all this honor thy contract BS. The colleges themselves will dump you at any given time (just see Ty Willingham, Bob Davie to name a few). Loyalty? Phillip Fullmer gave 15 years of best football that UT ever saw. He has an off year and they tell him to take a hike. So i dont want to hear that the Coach was wrong for looking at another job offer. For god sakes, the average joe does that every day. Who does BC think they are by keeping their coach from looking to better himself, this is crap you get from Blockbuster. You hired an NFL guy, what did you expect him to do when NFL jobs came up.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

He also had 6 years in college before the NFL so its not as much of a lock as people make.

Look at BC... the last coach they fired was a long time ago and that was cause of scandal, not performance
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

I think he definitely should have informed the AD, but I think it's ridiculous to fire him over it. I mean, you have every right to interview. I mean, if he ended up signing, feel free to take back all your money, but we ALL know that Jags was never gonna get the Jets job. I don't take it as "I don't wanna be at BC", I take it as "I like BC, but I like the NFL slightly more". So, I think it's insane, but I guess it's their prerogative.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    I think he definitely should have informed the AD, but I think it's ridiculous to fire him over it. I mean, you have every right to interview. I mean, if he ended up signing, feel free to take back all your money, but we ALL know that Jags was never gonna get the Jets job. I don't take it as "I don't wanna be at BC", I take it as "I like BC, but I like the NFL slightly more". So, I think it's insane, but I guess it's their prerogative.

Actually when under contract with a team, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO INTERVIEW... you have to get permission to interview and its not a right at all. And LJ, when your told you are going to lose your job to interview, and you do it anyways that shows that you really don't want to be at the school.
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

Originally they said he'd be fired. Then they said that that kind of matter would not be handled publicly, so there was some hesitance, unsure if they wanted to fire him.

Also, that "no right to interview" is the same BS as the fact that MLB players are technically not allowed to chat each other up on the field before the game. They do it anyway, but it's in the rulebook. So, I don't buy into that.

MLB ERA

The key is and I hope you understand this, is that he broke every rule in the book by not telling the AD BEFORE scheduling the interview. If he had done that I think the ending is much different

And BC pulled no stunts. They removed themselves following the proper league procedure. The courts ruled they only had to pay 1 million instead of 5 million. Beyond that they executed their right to leave and switch conferences just like any school has
    Well then since people should show loyalty, where was BC's loyalty to the Big East? If you want to get on Jagod for his lack of loyalty then I ask the same questions of BC. BC paid the buyout and what not written into bi-laws then why cant a coach do basically the same thing?

I dont have time, nor the links (most of the ones I had are dead now), nor the contacts to go back and find all the press clippings but there was more behind Syracuse and the objective of axing out the Big East afterward from BCS consideration and thus more money for ACC schools than reported.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA

So since a school actually is deciding to follow the rules they should be mocked at? Remind me where that makes sense again?

The school gave 27 months notice of their leaving the Big East and followed every protocol exactly, they didn't go behind anyones' backs, and they were PUBLIC about their disagreement of the direction of the conference and their yearn to join the ACC (if you think they did post here, I got a mammoth post I can show proving otherwise), they paid the buyout and left. They HONORED their commitment by waiting and paying the buyout, that is totally different than not honoring a contract.

And my understanding of the Big East removal was that they didn't have enough schools to automatically qualify under the old BCS rules
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

Because it's a rule that is not followed. There are many of those in sports. Pitchers have to deliver a pitch within 20 seconds of getting the ball back from the catcher. MLB players aren't allowed to fraternize on the field. It's not like every rule is followed to the T, this didn't have to be.

MLB ERA

So since a school actually is deciding to follow the rules they should be mocked at? Remind me where that makes sense again?
    BC is the one all up in arms over loyalty because a coach interviewed for a BETTER job somewhere else. While they were the same school that showed the same loyalty to the Big East. Im just saying BC is the last school I want to hear crying about loyalty.

BTW Id love to be in the court room if one of these schools tried to say someone didnt have "a right to interview" for an nfl job.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    BC is the one all up in arms over loyalty because a coach interviewed for a BETTER job somewhere else. While they were the same school that showed the same loyalty to the Big East. Im just saying BC is the last school I want to hear crying about loyalty.

BTW Id love to be in the court room if one of these schools tried to say someone didnt have "a right to interview" for an nfl job.
    they were VERY OPEN about wanting to join the ACC. When the Big East Presidents and Athletic Directors met on July 9th of 2003 held before any detailed review of the conference's options show that Syracuse Athletic Director Jake Crouthamel and BC Athletic Director Gene DeFilippo went on record indicating they would resign their positions if the Big East expanded to 16 teams.

Then in October of 2003, when Notre Dame asked BC about the stability of the Big East, BC president Thomas Leahy addressed rumors surrounding BC's intentions toward the Big East. Fr. Leahy conceded that BC might indeed be leaving the conference and he would determine how genuine the ACC's reported interest in having any school as a 12th member.
    He stated he could not agree to an exit penalty larger than the already agreed to $5,000,000, and expressed concerns about academic issues at Louisville and Cincinnati that emerged during due diligence. It was decided that the conference would add the additional football and basketball schools and continue in its existing structure until such time as the football schools could establish their own conference. Unhappy with the vote on the future structure of the conference, the administration of BC continued discussions with the ACC.

In mid-October 2003, the ACC voted unanimously to invite BC to be its twelfth member, although because of timing issues BC was not able to compete in the ACC until the 2005-2006 season.

Tell me again were the secrecy of that is. They were open and honest about it. They didn't want expansion to include weak academic instituions and when they didn't get what they wanted they left. There is nothing secretive or wrong about it.
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

Its about the $$$. Getting Syracuse into the ACC as 12th team would give the BcS "enough" northeastern influence that if the Big East struggled to remain viable power conference (which was believed to be since Miami was the "marquee" name) they could then be axed from BcS and a larger chunk of money would go to the remaining schools. There was a method to the madness of getting BC and Syracuse with Miami into the ACC, but a bunch of the ACC schools got cold feet when public scrutiny turned overwhelming against them and thus Syracuse and BC were dropped (initially) and Va Tech added (due to the Governor getting involved on Va Tech's behalf). ACC requesting that 10-11 team conferences could have title games, denial, and returning to take BC as #12.

Like I said believe what you want to believe I cannot prove nor disprove anything due to retirement, time, and what actually followed afterwards.

Back to the initial subject: College Sports is a business. Universities will not show the same type of loyalty that BC was asking of Jagod by demanding he not interview for the Jets job. Put it in writing and watch as any coach worth a grain of salt walks out the door.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast