Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakers re-hire Phil Jackson as coach

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Lakers re-hire Phil Jackson as coach

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Phil Jackson is returning to the Los Angeles Lakers following a reconciliation with the team that cut him loose last year after three NBA championships in five seasons.

Spokesman John Black said Tuesday the team has rehired Jackson, who was let go by owner Jerry Buss last June 18.

A news conference was set for 5 p.m. EDT at Staples Center.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Hopefully for Laker fans, the re-hiring of Phil can help get us better players. Otherwise, even Phil can't offset the worst trade in NBA history.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    Hahahahha Lakers suck now. No chance for Phil to suceed.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Maybe Shaq will opt out of his 2005-06 $30.6 million salary and return to LA?

MLB ERA
    Gosh I sware you guys post the articles while I am getting ready to. Man, but I don't see Phil doing anything without Shaq there.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    Hold on guys. Kobe is still a top five player, and they have a top ten draft choice, and a HOF coach. I will give them a chance. I say they can definately get into the playoffs but not a championship run.

AA ERA
    Lakers may be a playoff team with Jax, but SA and Phx are the two top teams in the West for next year. Jax coaching the Lakers does not make me have a reaction one way or another. I will give him credit though for not cherry-picking a job for a chance to win it all. This time, he has to work his way to win it all.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........
    That was my initial reaction. Let Lakers fans talk about "glory days" and all. Let them have their day. The team is still mismanaged under ***** Kupchak so it won't matter what Phil does. Lakers don't scare me for one bit.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    I think Phil Jackson will stay with the Lakers for 2 years tops. His team are no where near contenders and if they continue to suck even more, HE GONE.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Lakers don't scare me for one bit.
    How about PJ Carlesimo as your next head coach? Wouldn't you be scared of that?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't Kobe supposed to be "uncoachable"?

AAA ERA
    ah so its official now..this is the first ive seen of it.

MLB ERA
    This is the worst possible move the Lakers could have made. When was the last time Phil Jackson actually built anything instead of working with what was handed to him? Do you think "Asleep at the switch" Mitch will get the other star the team so desperately needs?

This is what you get when you let your employees bang your daughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    How about PJ Carlesimo as your next head coach? Wouldn't you be scared of that?
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5457753.html

So much for P.J. coming to Minnesota. I am so glad he is not getting the job. I just did not think he was the right guy and I felt the Timberwolves were better off getting an up-and-coming coach. I hear lot of good things about Dwayne Casey and I am glad the Wolves will give him a shot. The only retread coach that was worthy was Paul Silas and he was my first choice for the coaching vacancy. Still Casey pleases me to no end. I hear lot of good things about Casey over the years.

I thank KG big time for saying no to Carlesimo. Apparently, KG told Glen Taylor, the owner of the team and Kevin McHale that he wanted no part of P.J. That thrilled me to no end because I don't think P.J. is a great NBA coach. He did not do much in Portland and Golden St. I think he is nothing more than a assistant coach at best.

I am glad Casey is here, but I am not happy McHale is here. He is so inept at what he does. I am not sure why Taylor even brought him back besides the fact Taylor is scared to take a risk and hire an up-and-coming executive from another team. As long as McHale is here, this team is not going to do much. He has made horrible moves with the team forever. Let's face it. McHale was only hired because he played for the Gophers and he is a hometown boy. He would have never been hired by other organizations even by the Celtics.

I will be shocked if the Wolves make the playoffs next year. When it comes to the Timberwolves, I am negative just like how Taylor is with the Rangers.

As for the Lakers, enjoy 1 and out next year because that's where the Lakers are going to be. Lakers are not that great. Even the Big Chief Triangle said so in his press conference and he basically said that Vlade and Brian Grant will not be back. The only good thing about the Big Chief Triangle coming back is that he can make Jeff Van Gundy squirm which is a great thing since I despise Van Gundy.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Wasn't Kobe supposed to be "uncoachable"?
    I doubt Phil and Kobe have any use for each other. Wouldn't suprise me if Phil gets his way and trade Kobe if Kobe does not live up to his demands next year or the year after?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast