Boston (AP)-

When boarding his Amtrak train, GM CJ Kaltenbach had a brief statement for the media, " I'm heading to NY for pleasure but if Brett is in the area it will be nice to talk deal face-to-face." While this further adds fuel to the close trade relationship between the 2 GM's where a deal would happen is uncertain. SBSL is down so no deal there and He just traded his best TSSL chip, Dan Payne, for a good OF spec and 2 1st round picks, so a match in TSSL is questionable. Are the Mets interested in Don Newborn? Maybe they want to take a chance on Bludd or Rigo? Or it could be a lower level deal involving a Jon Maltby, or maybe a rental like Edgar Martinez. People inside the Cincinnati organization are saying this trip is to solely produce a deal.

But if thats the case someone may want to consult the Mets, One member high up in the Mets organization was shocked if Brett was planning on meeting with CJ: "I had no idea he's even going to be in the area, so that should answer your question." However others said its going to be a good chance to hammer a blockbuster, "Be ready for the unexpected in this league" said an Assistant GM for Brett. Brett didn't return a phone call left for him before the publishing deadline.

So pay attention to LI, the next few days. That could determine the TSSL race this year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm off to LI to visit a friend... I'll bb Wednesday Night and idk how much i can check this between now and then