Thread: Sheldon Silver prevents the Jets of getting a new stadium for the wrong reasons

AA ERA

Sheldon Silver prevents the Jets of getting a new stadium for the wrong reasons

Sheldon Silver, who played a huge role in abstaining his vote for the new stadium for the New York Jets in downtown Manhattan, is taking his bows for what he did. How could he be proud of himself? What he did was gutless. He prevented jobs. He prevented the city from making money by not agreeing on the stadium. He prevented the city to get even better. The new stadium could have helped the city make money and pay for firefighters, doctors, teachers, bus drivers, and train conductors. Jets were going to pay the bill for that stadium. What could be so wrong about it? If New Yorkers think Silver is doing this to help the great citizens of NYC by saying No to the Stadium, then they don't know about politics. I think New Yorkers know darn well about politics though and from what I hear, they don't like what Silver did. Silver is out for himself. He is trying to set the seed for a mayoral candidate IMO by refusing to say No to this stadium. I think he wants to prove to everyone that he can stand up to Mike Bloomberg, the mayor of New York and that he is sending a message to Bloomberg about running for mayor. That's just my feeling when I read about this yesterday.

It's a shame it happened, but I am hoping the Jets can find a way to get a stadium in NYC. They should be playing in NY. It's crazy that they train and live in LI yet have to commute to NJ and stay in a hotel the day before their "home" game. It shouldn't be the case. Jets need to play in a stadium where they can be proud of. Here's hoping the Jets and the city of New York can make it work.

As for Sheldon Silver, he knows full well that he is not doing this for his district and for the city of NY. He is doing this for his own political ambitions.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Jets were going to pay the bill for that stadium. What could be so wrong about it?
    No he was voting down a $1.5 Billion dollar budget item between now and 2012. That means the taxpayers of New York state would be funding the Stadium.
    Silver is out for himself. He is trying to set the seed for a mayoral candidate IMO by refusing to say No to this stadium. I think he wants to prove to everyone that he can stand up to Mike Bloomberg, the mayor of New York and that he is sending a message to Bloomberg about running for mayor. That's just my feeling when I read about this yesterday.
    Actually He'll be running for Governor, not mayor of NYC.
    As for Sheldon Silver, he knows full well that he is not doing this for his district and for the city of NY. He is doing this for his own political ambitions.
    Actually, Silver said that he would rather see groud broken on the World Trade Center before a Stadium that will only get used 10/11 times a year gets built. Buiding the WTC again would bring countless more jobs to New York than a stadium would. 50,000 people worked in those 2 buldings alone, not to mention the surrounding areas. I agree with Silver all the way. Pataki, Bloomburg and Joe Bruno (Assembly minority leader) have their priorities in the wrong place. I'm a registered, active Republican, but the Repubs in New York are way off the mark on this one.

West-Side Stadium is a bad idea. New World Trade Center is a good idea.

AAA ERA
    Actually, Silver said that he would rather see groud broken on the World Trade Center before a Stadium that will only get used 10/11 times a year gets built.
    10/11 times a year for the Jets but what about the conventions, the concerts, the other sporting events such as future Super Bowls, Final Fours, College bowl games, ... The plan also called for alot of office space which would sell alot quicker than WTC office space. This was and is a great plan for NYC and hopefully the Jets can find a way to build it.

AAA ERA
    Hopefully they'll pay for it. If Paul Tagliabue is so upset, how about the NFL pays for it? Joe Taxpayer in Anytown, NY is not going to be able to use the stadium.

You're not going to have the super bowl every year. You'll get one concert a year (who's going to sell 75,000+ tickets? Green Day? ) so you'll get 16-17 uses out of it per year. I'd rather see the money go toward the WTC.