Thread: Knicks need to hire Jim O'Brien

AA ERA

Knicks need to hire Jim O'Brien

I nominate Jim O'Brien to coach the New York Knicks. Isiah Thomas needs to find a way to hire him not Herb Williams, who was a horrible head coach. Jim O'Brien is a type of guy that will kick some butt. He will demand discipline and he will demand players to play team basketball. O'Brien will bring intensity, toughness, integrity, and a great work ethic. Something the Knicks have lacked in recent years. O'Brien would make New Yorkers proud. O'Brien would bring back the glory years that Riley gave the Knicks fans when the Knicks once was relevant. I feel Marbury can work well and make use of his talent under O'Brien. O'Brien made Walker and Iverson into pass-first players. I think he can do the same for Marbury. Let's remember AI had his best year under Jim O'Brien. O'Brien would bring charisma that the Knicks have lacked since Riley left.

Isiah can not afford to botch this one up. Plus Isiah can still control Jim O'Brien. O'Brien can't be greedy considering that no team will want to hire him so he has to be thankful if Isiah hires him. O'Brien will kiss up to Isiah Thomas knowing full well that this could be his last job as head coach in the NBA. I think O'Brien is willing to do it.

Knicks can't afford to blow this.

Interesting. First time really thinking of OBrien in NY to coach the Knicks. I liked OBrien going to Philly, but Webber and amongst other players he wasn't very well liked. I don't think Philly and OBrien were a very good match. I though Willie Green deserved more playing time. I do think OBrien could do well in NY. That would be a great hire by Thomas.

AAA ERA
    I don't think it matters who the Knicks get if they don't get Jackson or Brown. they need a coach who can command respect and if they don't get one they will be stuck in this mess for a while.

AA ERA
    Jackson or Brown are not coming to NYC. Jackson wants to coach a team that wants to win a championship now and Detroit is going to want heavy compensation from the Knicks if they want Brown's service since he has a 7-year contract with them. O'Brien is probably the next best bet of all the candidates. I like to see Flip Saunders coach the Knicks, but he is not the right fit in the NY Market. This would be Don Nelson all over again if Flip comes here. O'Brien is a great fit for this market because he handle the pressure well in Boston and Philly when he coached their respective teams.

Jim O'Brien is not a bad coach. I ain't being scarcastic if anyone thinks I am. He did a great job with the Sixers considering his players hated playing for him. His team made the playoffs in what was a tough season for his team this season. So what if his players hated him. Which players love their coach? O'Brien is probably the best bet at this point. There is no way Herb Williams is coaching next year. He does not deserve it at all. Maybe if his team did not quit on him to finish the season, then he would get consideration.

O'Brien will definitely command respect for sure. He knows how to win with his star players. It ain't easy coaching AI or Antoine Walker, but those guys respected O'Brien and they flourished under him. I feel Marbury can do the same.

AAA ERA
    Jim O'Brien is not a bad coach. I ain't being scarcastic if anyone thinks I am. He did a great job with the Sixers considering his players hated playing for him.
    I think he is a good coach to but he is not commanding respect. His players hated him in Bos and Philly, what do you think is going to happen w/ the malcontents on the Knick team? The bottom line is the Knicks are in deep trouble b/c I agree I doubt Jax or LB will be coaching them.

AA ERA
    I hear Bill Lambieer formally interviewed for the job. At this point, he might be a great choice. Knicks really need a guy who can kick some ass. Who better than Lambieer. He would be a great pick.

I still say O'Brien though. I know guys like Dalembert, Webber, and Green hated O'Brien. O'Brien was basically hated from the media to the fans to the players to his bosses. With that said, that shouldn't scare Isiah. As for Boston, he got along with everyone except for Ricky Davis. O'Brien apparently did not get along with Ainge hence why he quit. I think Marbury would respect O'Brien. O'Brien seems to get the most out of Walker and AI so he might be successful with Marbury.

Obviously, the ideal solution is to put Isiah as coach and find the right GM like a Donnie Walsh, but that's not happening.

AAA ERA
    I know Laimbeer has only coached in the WNBA but I think he'd be a good choice. He'd give them a little swagger and toughness that they need and at least they;d be a more interesting team.

AA ERA
    Coaching in the WNBA is a good part of your resume IMO. The real part of coaching is communicating through people and if a guy like Lambieer can get through relating with ladies, I am pretty sure he can handle working with men. The reason now you are seeing former NBA coaches coaching in the WNBA like a Dave Cowens is that they want to have a quick track back in the NBA as head coach.

You mentioned there would be a more interesting team. You are definitely right. Also press conference can be interesting since Lambieer is pretty blunt. One way or another, I would love to see Lambieer coach in the NBA. He seems very interested in coaching and he is pretty committed to being one.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Past rivalries aside, Bill Laimbeer would be my choice for the Lakers' new head coach. It probably won't happen, but I prefer an up-and-comer for our lottery team.

AA ERA
    I would love to see Laimbeer put Kobe in his place for sure. Now that would be funny.