Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Contender

Rookie ERA

The Contender

I loved this show the whole season, except for the last episode. Tonights fight stunk, and so did the way the showed it.First, they go to commericals after every round which got old.Second, Sly and Sugar Ray and the other guy (truiwig I think) did a HORRIBLE job calling the fight. Their talking rematch in the 3rd round, come on. As for the fight Manfrado was gassed after the 2nd round, and it showed, hanging on to Mora all the time. Mora had a few good punches but nothing great. Just a bad fight. If anyone else watched ths how (though from the ratings I may be the only one) what did you think?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    too bad the guy from providence didn't win...seemed like they both were hanging on each other a lot

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I loved the series as a whole, been watching from the first episode. It was then when I became a big fan of Alfonzo Gomez, and again he showed what kind of heart he has in the Bronze fight. That boy could take a hit for sure. And you could tell with the time off he really got into better shape and had much stronger punches.

As for the main fight, part of the reason it was so lame was because of Manfredo's strategy to limit the movement and speed of Mora. He kept trying to hold him up and get his back to the rope but it really failed since a lot of Sergio's best punches came from that disadvantage. But like you said, Peter Manfredo just wore himself out early which led to a pretty bland fight. It was a close fight though and I was happy to see Mora win.

I loved the series too. Unfortunately I missed a lot of the later episodes but I thought the final was great. I had no problem with the commercials considering how short they were. Overall the best guy won. Manfredo was good but Mora was clearly better. It's not going to rank up with the Barrera-Morales fights as one of the greatest but it was a war. Mora just seemed like the most complete fighter. He easily won in my mind but the thing that defined the match for me was when Manfredo let his guard down during the last 10 seconds and Mora just gave him hell.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Mora's previous fight vs Peter was better than the final.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sly was on Larry King a while ago and mentioned it could get picked up by another network, I really hope that is the case.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I hate this series based on the fact the Sugar Ray Leonard was one of the worst champs in the history of boxing. The Hagler-Leonard fight was one of the biggest robberies in the history of the sport. Hagler did the most damage and Leonard did his usual pattycake bullshit. **** Leonard and everyone like Leonard. And just because Sly played a boxer doesn't mean he can evaluate talent. Go back to being in the dark Sly. The 80's have been over for a while now. Tell Leonard that too.

Rookie ERA
    THis wasnt the worst fight this week. Watched the Golata-Brewseter fight on Sat, man oh man. I go to the bathroom the fights over. How does a guy get knocked down 3 times in 50 seconds?

I hope Fox picks it up, they had a show with De La Hoya, but axed it. This show seems to have a decent fan base. IF som one does pick it up they should move to the heavy weight class, might be nice to see if their are any good heavy weights are out there.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I have a lot more respect for De La Hoya than I do Leonard.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    TV Kingpen Mark Burnett said he is going to do all he can to get it back on another network. I wouldn't doubt to see it land on like CBS or something, but scaled down to how much it cost to make per episode.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    I have a lot more respect for De La Hoya than I do Leonard.

Leonard wasnt the greatest but to mention De La Hoya in the same breath? Id rather watch paint dry than to see De La Hoya fight. You mention Leonards fight that he robbed Hagler in.

Do we dear mention Pernell's fight that he stole, how bout Trindad's, How bout the time he whined about losing to Moseley?

I dont have and will not have any respect for De La Macrena, ever.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Gomez vs Moya, who would win that.....that would have been a much better fight IMO.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I loved the series as a whole, been watching from the first episode. It was then when I became a big fan of Alfonzo Gomez, and again he showed what kind of heart he has in the Bronze fight. That boy could take a hit for sure. And you could tell with the time off he really got into better shape and had much stronger punches.

As for the main fight, part of the reason it was so lame was because of Manfredo's strategy to limit the movement and speed of Mora. He kept trying to hold him up and get his back to the rope but it really failed since a lot of Sergio's best punches came from that disadvantage. But like you said, Peter Manfredo just wore himself out early which led to a pretty bland fight. It was a close fight though and I was happy to see Mora win.

Mora was best when he was backed in the corner. He proved he was the smarter fighter of the two as well. After about 50 shots to the dome you would think that the ropes actually makes him focus a little more. If you keep him in the middle of the ring, he might of had a better time with Mora. Had this been Gomez vs Mora. Imagine the haymakers that would have been in that fight. Gomez dismanted Brinkley in the Bronze fight.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    Gomez vs Moya, who would win that.....that would have been a much better fight IMO.
    Not to mention they were like bestfriends on show, so it would of been great for the reality element.

Oh and I also saw posted elsewhere that the show could even go to ESPN. I would imagine they would have to cut down costs somehow though.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I wasn't comparing the two Porter so I can use them in the same sentence. I have more respect towards Iverson that I do Leonard which means very little. Same with De La Hoya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast