Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK asks for and receives permission to speak to Donovan

MLB ERA

UK asks for and receives permission to speak to Donovan

That is the hot word tonight.

And according to some, it's just a matter of time before he's announced as head coach (possibly even tomorrow).

ESPN is saying he hasn't even been asked, but we know ESPN is not exactly a bastion of knowledge.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    He only won 2 NCAA championships in 11 years, I'm not sure if he meets Kentucky's high standards.

MLB ERA
    ESPN.com - NCB - Donovan to remain at Florida and talk extension

looks like Donovan is close to getting a new deal done at Florida.

in other coaching news, ESPN is reporting that Bob Huggins is leaving KSU for WVU.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Thank god...I didn't wanna see Donovan going to Kentucky.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Big Blue Nation is going to run the next coach out of town quickly in all likelyhood.

Many are already calling for Barnhart's (AD) head for not convincing Donovan to come.

He might not last long as AD unless he hires someone of extreme quality.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    I hear Jim Harrick is looking for work.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien View Post

in other coaching news, ESPN is reporting that Bob Huggins is leaving KSU for WVU.
    He must be out of his mind to leave Michael Beasley for WVU.

MLB ERA
    Michael Beasley will likely follow him to WVU.

MLB ERA
    I can't wait for Thuggins to face UC in a couple years.

Should be some fun games.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    Big Blue Nation is going to run the next coach out of town quickly in all likelyhood.

Many are already calling for Barnhart's (AD) head for not convincing Donovan to come.

He might not last long as AD unless he hires someone of extreme quality.
    gillespie and crean would be the first bets i would gather, and i dont think you could go wrong with either of them.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Sounding like Gillespie right now.

I'm just not sure how many will think he has the track record.

And many think Crean hasn't done anything since Wade left.

MLB ERA

Re: UK asks for and receives permission to speak to Donovan

Kansas State President on Huggins (think he is not thinking much of Bobby now?):

University President Jon Wefald Quotes
    Courtesy: Kansas State University
    Release: 04/05/2007
    Opening Statement: “I have been here for a long time, as you know. This is a very sad day for me and for Kansas State. Tim, Bob, and I met with Bob last night for a couple of hours. I can tell you that there is no question that we did not ask, there is no issue that we did not put on the table, and I think you should know that we moved heaven and earth to keep Bob Huggins here. Time in effect said, you tell us what your salary should be? Whatever West Virginia is offering, we will match it, and then some, same way for the assistant coaches. You have to know that there was nothing that we wouldn’t do to keep Bob Huggins here. I said to Coach Huggins, you have been here for one year, the timing is not right. One year is not enough. If Bob had indicated to us about a year ago this time that he needed something in his contract about his alma mater then we would have gone on, we would have looked at somebody else. There is no way that we would have hired Coach Huggins if he had said that if the West Virginia job opens then I have to go there. That never came up. We all like Coach Huggins as much as you do, the job he did here last year was brilliant. With mainly players from last year we won 23 games, finished fourth in the Big 12. We have a number-one recruiting class coming in for 07-08, and the sky is the limit. I said to Coach Huggins, they are never going to love you at West Virginia like we do here. You will never be more beloved if you are there 100 years than you are at Kansas State right now, after one year. I told Coach Huggins, you have to do what you have to do, but you have created a magic and an aura around K-State basketball that we have not had here in years and years. I asked him, are you sure that you can duplicate that anywhere else? It wasn’t like we were arguing, or that it got vindictive or anything like that. We just over and over again, from three different prospectives said Bob, this is the place for you. We are not saying that you have to stay her forever, but the timing is just not right. So I basically said that this is not fair. This is not fair to the players, to the program, to the university, to our fans. So I told him that you have to do the right thing, which means you have to stay. Maybe a heavyweight championship fight would be a good metaphor, we feel like we are heavyweight contenders here at K-State. It is kind of like we are in the ring and we are doing very well, then we get hit with a right cross and knocked out. That is the way I feel right now. We got knocked out, not knocked down, knocked out. But then on the other hand I am an optimist, in life sometimes things are not fair. Sometimes things don’t turn out the way you want them to. We have dreams for ourselves and our university, sometimes they turn out to be true, sometimes they don’t work out. I am not a quitter. I am so disappointed, I am heartbroken. But I don’t give up. When one door closes, another one opens up. We will do our best job to keep this basketball team on an even-keel, and to keep it moving onward and upward. That is a commitment from the three of us.”

MLB ERA

Huggins screwed KSU, their players, and their fans.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Michael Beasley will likely follow him to WVU.
    No, he didn't.

You gotta love head coaching carousels. Kentucky hired Billy Gillespie from Texas A&M, which in turn hired Mark Turgeon from Wichita State, which in turn hired Gregg Marshall from Winthrop, which promoted an assistant who used to be the head coach at UNC Greensboro.

AA ERA

He only won 2 NCAA championships in 11 years, I'm not sure if he meets Kentucky's high standards.
    I just noticed this thread existed and have realmofotalk to thank for bringing it back.

To respond to ATLien, what a idiotic response and I'm assuming you must be a Georgia Bulldog fan. But on a brighter note, how is the weather down there in Catlanta?
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast